Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 06:04 PM

7,732 posts, read 12,626,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Many young people associate Christianity, and some other major religions, with intolerance, homophobia, hypocrisy, judgmentalism and other issues. Thats just not groovy to them.

Also, it doesn't make sense if you can find yourself more compassionate or caring than someone else's God does it? Starts to make you think - "well their God can't be the real God"

I don't think this problem is specific to Christianity.
The Bible repeatedly states that if you love the world, your family, your friends, or anyone and anything more than God, your not worthy of him. So if young people (I am young myself TAKE NOTE) don't want to take up the cross and follow God's ways, then they will go straight to Hell along with the rest of the world. God is a respector of NO PERSONS. He doesn't care if your a teenager, a frail old man, or anybody else. His son died on the cross for YOUR sins. If you refuse to accept him as your savior and follow his decrees and commandments, you don't deserve to see his kingdom! And that's what this dumb generation doesn't realize. When they want to follow the world and after what the world thinks is okay and right, they are basically spitting in God's face and saying they don't need him and don't care whether they go to Hell or not. They have no fear of God. So they will according to their own choice. God will not change his ways for anybody or anything. He didn't do it the first time when he flooded the Earth, he certainly isn't going to do it the next time! God is a respecter of NO PERSONS! Remember that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2012, 06:48 PM

2,042 posts, read 2,905,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
The Bible repeatedly states that if you love the world, your family, your friends, or anyone and anything more than God, your not worthy of him. So if young people (I am young myself TAKE NOTE) don't want to take up the cross and follow God's ways, then they will go straight to Hell along with the rest of the world. God is a respector of NO PERSONS. He doesn't care if your a teenager, a frail old man, or anybody else. His son died on the cross for YOUR sins. If you refuse to accept him as your savior and follow his decrees and commandments, you don't deserve to see his kingdom! And that's what this dumb generation doesn't realize. When they want to follow the world and after what the world thinks is okay and right, they are basically spitting in God's face and saying they don't need him and don't care whether they go to Hell or not. They have no fear of God. So they will according to their own choice. God will not change his ways for anybody or anything. He didn't do it the first time when he flooded the Earth, he certainly isn't going to do it the next time! God is a respecter of NO PERSONS! Remember that.
This is a spectacular exhibit of the very qualities (pedantry, condescension, holier-than-thou) that were mentioned. Well done!

Old 09-22-2012, 05:20 AM

9,690 posts, read 10,023,019 times
Many teens have liberty to be rebellious in their years and will see the world of the parents as inferior, so in this age of computers, and the social media were even younger children are corrupting them selves with these liberties .. Lord Jesus and His message will be left behind as the church of Christ has being condemnation conscious with sin and come up short in have the real message of power of Christ as the attractant for truth ...... See the social media of the Internet took the Government of Egypt down and brought in a Government of democracy of Muslims , which will be no different economically , as Muslims see the idols of wealth , so will never go to prosperity......So now you can witness what this social media will be used by the antichrist force to come after the poor and Christianity in the tribulation ...... The key to attracting the youth to the church is to be show the power of Christ and teach the youth and people solid foundation of faith , and if the youth must be rebellious then teach the youth a militant Davinich faith (King David militant) were truth rules ...See the power of Christ is of Great Importance as this will pave a way to remove the devil and its influence

Old 09-22-2012, 05:51 PM

63,818 posts, read 40,109,822 times
Default Why do young people today have such a disdain for Christianity?

Because it is NOT very Christian!

Old 09-22-2012, 09:51 PM

1,320 posts, read 1,248,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
Which is the biggest problem with it and why so many flee from it. If they can't even LOVE THEIR NEIGHBOR AS THEMSELVES...as they are commanded to...who would want to be around them??? I sure don't and this is the precise reason why I no longer label myself a Christian...using that label leaves a bad taste in everyone's mouth these days.
i see your problem.... thinking Christianity is a label.

Old 09-22-2012, 09:54 PM

1,320 posts, read 1,248,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo View Post
I am not sure that is a safe assumption at all. All you really need for "evolution" to occur is the NEAR perfect reproduction of information with some form of differential success in that reproduction. That is to say: Some forms reproduce better and more successfully than others. If you have those elements then you will get evolution. You can not NOT have it.

And this is exactly what we have. The information reproduction is NEAR perfect but it has changes/errors. Translation errors between Hebrew, Greek and English for example. Interpretation changes between generations, churches or sects. Doctrine changes within and between religions are common too.

Differential success is there too. The Christian encyclopaedia records well over 33,000 different branches of Christianity all with varying numbers of followers. Some reproduce better than others. Some go extinct either by people converting out or... in the case like the "10 commandments of god" sect they gather in a meeting, dragging their unwilling partners and children with them, and engage in a bout of mass murder and suicide. Meanwhile polls and studies in the americas show americans change religion more often than they change cell phone providers. Not to mention many people in one branch of Christianity rather delight in killing people in other branches. My own home country of Ireland is a good example of that one.

So with small changes occurring and differential successes, speciation events and extinction events you will by necessity have evolution regardless of how much one feels compelled to close ones eyes to it.
God doesn't change. EVER!!! You can type away but he is the same God he was on day 1.

Old 09-22-2012, 10:07 PM

271 posts, read 417,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Young people today, especially those raised in Christian homes, for the most part have not only turned their back on religion but also hate it to the point they will look down upon anybody who keeps their faith. Militant atheism among the younger generation is not only a belief system but also a cultural fad. If you are religious and under 30, if you let your peers know you will likely not be looked on as highly as someone who is a professed atheist. Most of these people think they are the intelligent, enlightened, and tolerant ones while the religious people are backwards, ignorant, and despicable, but what they don't see is their brand of atheism has almost everything in common with evangelical Christianity except the lack of the belief in a deity. Most churches are filled with people over 50. I've lived in Little Rock, Charlotte, and Oklahoma City within the last five years and in all of these places, there are just a few churches that even have younger twentysomething people and the vast majority are made up entirely of senior citizens. Millennials aren't the first generation with science and evolution so while those are commonly given as the reasons behind this cultural phenomenon, there is something more to it.

Keep in mind I am talking specifically about the younger generation (under 30). Belief in a deity is still very high for older generations and religious people in that generation don't suffer from the stigma they do in the younger generation.

The thing is that kids are inquisitive. Religion has a lot of questions and no real answers ... most of our parents will go to church and then curse out someone on the freeway on the way home cause they cut us off. I personally not only believe in god I speak to him daily and have no doubt in his existence. In the name of Christianity, in the holiest of seasons, instead of fully reflecting on GOD creating jesus christ, people lust for worse vain, earthly items.

Personally if you look at history the more restrictive the elders are with a society the more likely that way of life will die off... The Puritans resided in England, left because they felt England was too liberal in accepting other religions being practiced, went to Amsterdam and found out it was worse. Afterwards they head back to England and then made there way to the new world to practice there extra conforming religion. The children's children of the puritans clearly did not agree with everything the elders believed in because the only thing that got passed down was thanksgiving.

Old 09-23-2012, 12:12 AM

1,543 posts, read 2,958,802 times
My theory is that it's due (in the U.S. at least) to the rise of the Christian right and the fact that they've had such a large role in the Republican party since 1980. This blurs the line between church and state which tends to alienate potential believers who are not of a fundamentalist bent (which I think is most of them). Consider that in the countries in Europe that currently have official churches, religious belief tends to be much less widespread then it is in the officially secular U.S. In addition the Christianity pushed by the social conservatives is intolerant and exclusive. The combination of these trends has (I believed) resulted in movement away from organized religion among younger people.

Old 09-23-2012, 02:18 AM

9,408 posts, read 11,935,344 times
One factor has to be the sheer amount of negativity that modern christianity puts out. Most people's exposure to christianity will be via seeing someone throwing out judgment, and/or threating some sort of calamity or doom. There's also an awful lot of anti-intellectualism, disuading questions and independent thought, and promotion of subservience, usually to a particular sect's or figurehead's ideology.

People have more information than ever at their fingertips. They have the ability to find like-minded individuals easier now. Plus much of what many sects believe is outright contrary to what science has taught young people.

At the most basic level, young people reject christianity because they don't see a benefit to being one.

Old 09-23-2012, 08:07 AM

271 posts, read 417,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
One factor has to be the sheer amount of negativity that modern christianity puts out. Most people's exposure to christianity will be via seeing someone throwing out judgment, and/or threating some sort of calamity or doom. There's also an awful lot of anti-intellectualism, disuading questions and independent thought, and promotion of subservience, usually to a particular sect's or figurehead's ideology.

People have more information than ever at their fingertips. They have the ability to find like-minded individuals easier now. Plus much of what many sects believe is outright contrary to what science has taught young people.

At the most basic level, young people reject christianity because they don't see a benefit to being one.

going further on this ... does it matter if kids dont believe in god the way you do as long as they believe in god? most christians will ask you is jesus you lord and savior and for me the answer is no god is my lord and savior ... jesus is a man( a great man) but not god ... muslims believe that the only reason jesus was able to do what he did is because he submitted himself to go so deeply that god blessed him... which still gives the glory to god
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity