Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 12:08 PM

33,360 posts, read 26,633,334 times

Advertisements

Of course there are those who do care, whether they are Christian or not, and there are those who don't. But I wonder if there are more who don't care than there are who do care?

I just now walked back from the grocery store. As I was walking, some kid who looked to be about 16 or 17 came up to me and said that he had just been hired for a job and needed to take a urine test. And with a smile on his face and with no sense of shame or guilt, he asked me if I would take the urine test for him. I said 'no' of course, at which which point he offered me ten dollars if I would take the test. I again said 'no' and waved him away with my hand. Even if I weren't Christian I would never for a moment even consider doing such a thing. He then said, 'Okay, thanks!', and went off in search of someone else to take the test for him.

This kid had been looking for a job. Knowing that he would have to take a urine test, he nevertheless thought nothing of continuing to take illegal drugs right up to the point of getting a job and then trying to find someone to do something illegal (I haven't checked but I'm reasonably sure that taking a urine test for someone else is illegal) so that he could keep the job. Not only that, but it is just... wrong!

This incident got me to wondering how many young people are like this kid and simply don't care about what is right and what is wrong?

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2013, 12:10 PM

45,584 posts, read 60,969,746 times
Not so much not knowing but this is the generation of situational ethics. Actually the second one now.

Old 03-28-2013, 12:28 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,285,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post

I just now walked back from the grocery store. As I was walking, some kid who looked to be about 16 or 17 came up to me and said that he had just been hired for a job and needed to take a urine test.

What do you think?
I think the kid is dumber than dirt if he asked a random stranger (who could be a stoner for all he knows) to take a urine test for him.

Old 03-28-2013, 12:46 PM

1,511 posts, read 1,387,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Not so much not knowing but this is the generation of situational ethics. Actually the second one now.
Such a situation that Mike described doesn't really count as Situational Ethics...at least not Joseph Fletchers version... its really just bad ethics mixed with a little teenage selfishness and lack of personal responsibility. Look on the brightside, at we aren't spiraling towards greater legalism.

Old 03-28-2013, 12:58 PM

2,817 posts, read 3,473,148 times
that kid has no shame. just think that he is someone's son. Not only that, he will be the person to date somone's daughter. The thought of it, but hey, i will not cast the first stone. When i was 16 is did my dirt too. lets not act like we were all noble at 16. we were dumb, that is what we were.

Old 03-28-2013, 02:27 PM

17,164 posts, read 11,441,384 times
Quote:
Of course there are those who do care, whether they are Christian or not, and there are those who don't. But I wonder if there are more who don't care than there are who do care?

I just now walked back from the grocery store. As I was walking, some kid who looked to be about 16 or 17 came up to me and said that he had just been hired for a job and needed to take a urine test. And with a smile on his face and with no sense of shame or guilt, he asked me if I would take the urine test for him. I said 'no' of course, at which which point he offered me ten dollars if I would take the test. I again said 'no' and waved him away with my hand. Even if I weren't Christian I would never for a moment even consider doing such a thing. He then said, 'Okay, thanks!', and went off in search of someone else to take the test for him.

This kid had been looking for a job. Knowing that he would have to take a urine test, he nevertheless thought nothing of continuing to take illegal drugs right up to the point of getting a job and then trying to find someone to do something illegal (I haven't checked but I'm reasonably sure that taking a urine test for someone else is illegal) so that he could keep the job. Not only that, but it is just... wrong!

This incident got me to wondering how many young people are like this kid and simply don't care about what is right and what is wrong?

What do you think?
Sounds like you were presented with an opportunity to take a few minutes to perhaps get to know a fellow human being that you might never have otherwise had and maybe even have been of some real help to him. And instead you "waved him away". Was that right or wrong? (And I'm not saying I wouldn't have had the same knee-jerk response, so this isn't a judgment, just something to consider.)

Old 03-28-2013, 03:55 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,217,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torpedos View Post
that kid has no shame. just think that he is someone's son. Not only that, he will be the person to date somone's daughter. The thought of it, but hey, i will not cast the first stone. When i was 16 is did my dirt too. lets not act like we were all noble at 16. we were dumb, that is what we were.
Here, here - every generation hates their respective youth, to be sure. If I met my 16 year old self, I'd flush his dope and cigs and sit down with him for a heart-to-heart.

But I think it is escalating based on too many factors to list.

Old 03-28-2013, 04:17 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,531,331 times
Do most Young people today not care about Right and Wrong?

I don't think it's not a matter of not caring ... but more of a self-centered care of right or wrong.

Old 03-28-2013, 05:06 PM

17,164 posts, read 11,441,384 times
Quote:
Moderator cut: Orphaned
Moderator cut: Orphaned If we older people "don't care" about right and wrong, about loving others rather than waving them away, why do we think we should we be passing judgment on younger people?

Last edited by june 7th; 04-03-2013 at 06:58 AM..

Old 03-28-2013, 06:21 PM

408 posts, read 609,293 times
Quote:

What do you think?
The only thing wrong here is the fact drug testing is allowed in job application procedures.

Society's morals shift with time. You're just stuck in an inferior age.

I find being christian to be immoral, as it involves lying to oneself and others.

what do you think?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity