Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 04:41 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,956,344 times

Advertisements

Denial of right and wrong is supposedly part of the modern philosophy of the day, post-modernism. I personally reject it. In the abstract, they will say there is no right or wrong, but steal their stuff, cheat them or cheat on them, and all of a sudden there IS right and wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2013, 07:45 PM

1,755 posts, read 3,004,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macluffy View Post
Interesting.. "different"... "value system".

We've become complacent to "different value systems" for fear of offending, of being "intolerant" while the real issue which is being creatively ignored, hushed up, or outright pooh poohed by so called change agents who seem intent on demanding that everyone ignore the differences in cultures, yet demand that we recognize and address them specifically in the same breath.

Here is my two cents: Yes, children ARE not caring as much about right vs wrong today than before. We are being lied to: we're bombarded with messages that insist we "embrace culture" which is not so much about "culture" but about cultural mores: standards, values, customs. Those mores have been blurred by those change agents intent on blurring the lines that separate "good" vs "evil". When these change agents are confronted with a demand to explain themselves or give a definition of what they consider "wrong" they either confuse, befuddle, or use ad hominem attacks. When you bring up the Ten Commandments, they respond with "priests are pedophiles! (get thee an FBI crime report of public schools- or even non-Christian religious schools, please- before you criticize so ignorantly) Churches are intolerant!" Disgust is "intolerance". Rules & laws designed to protect us: "oppression".

It's "anything goes!" and if a parent raises his child in the manner our grandparents did, it's "old fashioned" or "abusive". TV is a horrible baby sitter. Brats smarting off to adults & that activity is cheered as "sticking up for yourself/empowerment" with the excuse that the authority is wrong. Notice even in commercials the "smart one" in the ad is the child (I'm lookin' at you, cable TV ad!) and the parents are clueless morons? TV shows never have a child cleaning their room, helping mom with the cooking, or out with dad working on the car (Oh! oops was mom making the dinner? How oppressive!) Gender roles are reversed- and this is planned by the powers that be to blur everything- what is up, is down, what is down, is up. The CHILD is the PARENT and the PARENT is the CHILD. Who is the parent? Who is the father? Which one is the mother? When everything is mixed up, there is no "right" nor "Wrong"- it's just different. We must embrace this bizarro world as the new world order of things- after all the "children are our future (bosses)".
Children aren't "brought up" they are "empowered". Morals are wrong, opinions are wrong, parents are wrong (and clueless morons).

I think I have a cure for all this nonsense. NO TV. No modern music - teach the children (not 'kids', not baby goats- but children) real music, music composed by geniuses like Chopin, JS Bach - not to say that today's music is "stupid" but I don't want to sift through a thousand CDs to find that one that doesn't include sexual & drug/crime references or glorification. Teach children the beauty and complexity and the mathematics! that goes into musical composition.

Teach them how to milk a cow, or what consists of turning that one ton steer into a McDonalds burger patty. If they don't' like their clothes, teach them how to sew and make their own. What child will whine about their clothes if they got to design and craft it themselves?

Children have too much pride. YES- that's exactly what I said- TOO MUCH pride. It's not pride at all, it's rebellion. We're shamed into not speaking up for fear we're being "intolerant" or "backward". We're not backward at all. Don't buy their lies, don't listen to them.

Most of all, teach them manners. Teach them to respect others, even if they don't agree with them, and that includes tolerating their religious beliefs by not branding someone "intolerant" for not agreeing with them.

Teach them right and wrong. Read "Dumbing Down of America" by Charlotte Iserbyt, that free book on her website will answer a lot of questions as to what's happened to this generation's children.
I guess you got really inspired by my words but yeah, we do value different things and its not exactly the same universally. It's not a matter being PC or fear in the case I was using it but in terms of religious views and how that shapes you or even the region your parents came from, all of that plays a role. My boyfriends family values include looks and money in terms of finding a good partner. My family on the other hand says, "does he treat you right? Are you happy with him? Ok." So what his family tends to value are things my family sees as pluses where as with his traditional side of the family sees what my family values as pluses. That shapes their view of right and wrong.

Old 08-26-2013, 09:53 AM

49 posts, read 65,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macluffy View Post
Interesting.. "different"... "value system".

We've become complacent to "different value systems" for fear of offending, of being "intolerant" while the real issue which is being creatively ignored, hushed up, or outright pooh poohed by so called change agents who seem intent on demanding that everyone ignore the differences in cultures, yet demand that we recognize and address them specifically in the same breath.

Here is my two cents: Yes, children ARE not caring as much about right vs wrong today than before. We are being lied to: we're bombarded with messages that insist we "embrace culture" which is not so much about "culture" but about cultural mores: standards, values, customs. Those mores have been blurred by those change agents intent on blurring the lines that separate "good" vs "evil". When these change agents are confronted with a demand to explain themselves or give a definition of what they consider "wrong" they either confuse, befuddle, or use ad hominem attacks. When you bring up the Ten Commandments, they respond with "priests are pedophiles! (get thee an FBI crime report of public schools- or even non-Christian religious schools, please- before you criticize so ignorantly) Churches are intolerant!" Disgust is "intolerance". Rules & laws designed to protect us: "oppression".

It's "anything goes!" and if a parent raises his child in the manner our grandparents did, it's "old fashioned" or "abusive". TV is a horrible baby sitter. Brats smarting off to adults & that activity is cheered as "sticking up for yourself/empowerment" with the excuse that the authority is wrong. Notice even in commercials the "smart one" in the ad is the child (I'm lookin' at you, cable TV ad!) and the parents are clueless morons? TV shows never have a child cleaning their room, helping mom with the cooking, or out with dad working on the car (Oh! oops was mom making the dinner? How oppressive!) Gender roles are reversed- and this is planned by the powers that be to blur everything- what is up, is down, what is down, is up. The CHILD is the PARENT and the PARENT is the CHILD. Who is the parent? Who is the father? Which one is the mother? When everything is mixed up, there is no "right" nor "Wrong"- it's just different. We must embrace this bizarro world as the new world order of things- after all the "children are our future (bosses)".
Children aren't "brought up" they are "empowered". Morals are wrong, opinions are wrong, parents are wrong (and clueless morons).

I think I have a cure for all this nonsense. NO TV. No modern music - teach the children (not 'kids', not baby goats- but children) real music, music composed by geniuses like Chopin, JS Bach - not to say that today's music is "stupid" but I don't want to sift through a thousand CDs to find that one that doesn't include sexual & drug/crime references or glorification. Teach children the beauty and complexity and the mathematics! that goes into musical composition.

Teach them how to milk a cow, or what consists of turning that one ton steer into a McDonalds burger patty. If they don't' like their clothes, teach them how to sew and make their own. What child will whine about their clothes if they got to design and craft it themselves?

Children have too much pride. YES- that's exactly what I said- TOO MUCH pride. It's not pride at all, it's rebellion. We're shamed into not speaking up for fear we're being "intolerant" or "backward". We're not backward at all. Don't buy their lies, don't listen to them.

Most of all, teach them manners. Teach them to respect others, even if they don't agree with them, and that includes tolerating their religious beliefs by not branding someone "intolerant" for not agreeing with them.

Teach them right and wrong. Read "Dumbing Down of America" by Charlotte Iserbyt, that free book on her website will answer a lot of questions as to what's happened to this generation's children.

Great post! Just checked out that book by Charlotte Iserbyt and you're right, it answers a ton of questions. I recommend checking out her website the deliberate dumbing down of america. She has multiple articles that are really intriguing.

Old 08-29-2013, 07:56 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,319,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I think the kid is dumber than dirt if he asked a random stranger (who could be a stoner for all he knows) to take a urine test for him.
Dew, I no more believe this really happened, than I do i will win the lottery today. But if it did then it speaks to mike being not all that great of a Christian. Because all he did was wave the kid off, without offering some sort of help for him.

Old 08-29-2013, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Asking a question is not an attack. I was asked by a young person to do something illegal so that he could keep a job. The question therefore is 'Do most young people today not care about right and wrong?'

And disagreeing with a law does not give you an excuse to break that law.
Right and wrong are subjective. And you aren't always aware a job who hires you is going to do a drug test before hand. You are assuming he had that knowledge, when you aren't in a position to know if he did.

Old 08-29-2013, 07:59 AM

Quote:
How I handled the situation is not the topic of this thread. I did not ask for advice on how I should have handled it, nor for vindication regarding how I did handle it. I am fine with my response to the kid. So leave it be and give it a rest.

The only thing I am interested in on this thread is peoples opinion on whether most young people today care about right and wrong. Period!
It really doesn't matter if you asked for advice or not. You posted on a public forum, so you can expect it.

Old 08-29-2013, 08:07 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,376,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
Denial of right and wrong is supposedly part of the modern philosophy of the day, post-modernism. I personally reject it. In the abstract, they will say there is no right or wrong, but steal their stuff, cheat them or cheat on them, and all of a sudden there IS right and wrong.
Acts in a vacuum cannot be described as right or wrong.

An act has to be judged within the situation.

In other words morality is relative.

If the kid seeking a clean sample of urine needed the urine to save the world from a nuclear holocaust then seeking to falsify the urine sample was not immoral.

Old 08-29-2013, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisWayne View Post
A. Young People
1. For 15 years before 1963 pregnancies in girls ages 15 through 19 years had been no more than 15 per thousand After 1963 pregnancies increased 187% in the next 15 years.
2. For younger girls, ages 10 to 14 years, pregnancies since 1963 are up 553%.
3. Before 1963 sexually transmitted diseases among students were 400 per 100,000. Since 1963, they were up 226% in the next 12 years.

B. The Family
1. Before 1963 divorce rates had been declining for 15 years. After 1963 divorces increased 300% each year for the next 15 years.
2. Since 1963 unmarried people living together is up 353%
3. Since 1963 single parent families are up 140%.
4. Since 1963 single parent families with children are up 160%.

C. Education
1. The educational standard of measure has been the SAT scores. SAT scores had been steady for many years before 1963. From 1963 they rapidly declined for 18 consecutive years, even though the same test has been used since 1941.
2. In 1974-75 the rate of decline of the SAT scores decreased, even though they continued to decline. That was when there was an explosion of private religious schools. There were only 1000 Christian schools in 1965. Between 1974 to 1984 they increased to 32,000.
a. That could have an impact if the private schools had higher SAT scores. In checking with the SAT Board it was found that indeed the SAT scores for private schools were nearly 100 points higher than public schools.
b. In fact the scores were at the point where the public schools had been before their decline started in 1963 when prayer and Bible reading/ instruction was removed from the schools.
c. The scores in the public schools were still declining.

3. Of the nation's top academic scholars, three times as many come from private religious schools, which operate on one-third the funds as do the public schools.
D. The Nation
1. Since 1963 violent crime has increased 544%.
3. Illegal drugs have become an enormous & uncontrollable problem.
2. The nation has been deprived of an estimated 30 million citizens through legal abortions just since 1973.
excerpt from What Happened When The Praying Stopped?
See this is why I love the internet! It shows you the statistics biased sites like this won't. On the issue of teen pregnancy, the statistics tell a different tale. From 1940 until 1957 the number rose, then began dropping. And besides a minor bump in the 90's, has continued to drop. So I dare say their data is quite wrong in that. http://www.thenationalcampaign.org/r..._1940-2006.pdf. As for the divorce rate, you are correct there. But the issue is that the divorce rate had been increasing steadily from 1870 until that drop. http://www.thenationalcampaign.org/r..._1940-2006.pdf So I guess people before the 50's just didn't pray is all, correct? The point on std's isn't even worth looking up, because the reporting in that time period was not the same standards as today. The standards of medical care was not the same, and access to it was far far less then. So plenty of people just suffered with it or were misdiagnosed by family physicians with no real medical training. Plus I dare say that states data collection at the time was a tad spottier than today. Care to post more points ?

Old 08-29-2013, 08:27 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,273,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
Dew, I no more believe this really happened, than I do i will win the lottery today. But if it did then it speaks to mike being not all that great of a Christian. Because all he did was wave the kid off, without offering some sort of help for him.
Who knows where the truth may be. But yes, he gave the kid the old "wave of the hand" to dismiss him. Pity. There doesn't even seem to have been a few kind, encouraging words about the new job exchanged. "Sorry, kid. I'm not going to help you with that. But I hope it's a good job and you're able to do well. Have you eaten today? If you haven't I'll buy you a Power Bar and a cup of coffee."

I was wondering what kind of a bubble the OP lives in that he had to ask if there are young people who know about right and wrong. The implication seemed to be that our entire society is somehow represented by this (possibly fictional) guy outside of the store wanting to scam the system.

No one ever starts a thread about the great things young people are doing today: going to school, tutoring kids, helping their families, volunteering. Nope. Much easier to be the finger shaker (nearly always conservative Christians) who only notices one kid who (may) be doing dope then tell everyone about it. The kid who spends his vacation serving meals at the Midnight Mission and singing karaoke with the homeless kids is never even seen by the finger shakers. Much less acknowledged.

To the OP: Yes. Kids today care about right and wrong. I know young people doing wonderful things in the community and making the "right" decisions.

But did you care about that kid? Or did you just see, "Dope user" and walk away? Think Jesus would have waved him off?

Last edited by DewDropInn; 08-29-2013 at 08:54 AM..

Old 08-29-2013, 08:40 AM

670 posts, read 817,405 times
Quote:
Of course there are those who do care, whether they are Christian or not, and there are those who don't. But I wonder if there are more who don't care than there are who do care?

I just now walked back from the grocery store. As I was walking, some kid who looked to be about 16 or 17 came up to me and said that he had just been hired for a job and needed to take a urine test. And with a smile on his face and with no sense of shame or guilt, he asked me if I would take the urine test for him. I said 'no' of course, at which which point he offered me ten dollars if I would take the test. I again said 'no' and waved him away with my hand. Even if I weren't Christian I would never for a moment even consider doing such a thing. He then said, 'Okay, thanks!', and went off in search of someone else to take the test for him.

This kid had been looking for a job. Knowing that he would have to take a urine test, he nevertheless thought nothing of continuing to take illegal drugs right up to the point of getting a job and then trying to find someone to do something illegal (I haven't checked but I'm reasonably sure that taking a urine test for someone else is illegal) so that he could keep the job. Not only that, but it is just... wrong!

This incident got me to wondering how many young people are like this kid and simply don't care about what is right and what is wrong?

What do you think?
It's all the fault of laid bad parenting and Easy Believism, that is why the next generations after mine will be horrible.

I am not married(I'm 25 by the way) but if I ever have children I will raise them with a good morale code, if they end up straying from what is right then it will not have been any thing I did as a parent but their choice, and I would still love them and if they where to ever turn back to the right path I would celebrate.

Some parents don't punish their children or don't show enough attention to them,
other parents are too strict,
you have to be some where in the middle.

The "Once Saved Always Saved" Doctrine convinces our Youth that they can get away with what ever sin they want because their young and still go to heaven. Granted that's plain stupid and that is why some Jews call some sins Mistakes because people are just stupid some times, while other times they know better. It's a worse sin to do some thing wrong when you know better than if you think your in the right. There is also a another belief our Youth stupidly employ and that is YOLO, which is you only live once so go do stupid things while you stupidly can. Honestly the number of young people killed because of mixing that YOLO thing with OSAS is confounding. Some even think they'l go to heaven after killing themselves if they believe in the blood of the lamb how ridiculous is that. If they had truly committed their life to God they would have known not to take their life.

You can argue with me about what I said, but I am being truthful I have seen people who fit the description I gave above, some of them have died out of that stupidity and I can assure you before they did I tried every thing in my power to stop them.

If your wrong and you refuse the rebuke of some one older or wiser than you have committed a sin.
As Parents must try to set there children straight so too must Christians some times rebuke each other, but not in a condescending way, do it with love and compassion.

Honor thy mother and father.
Who can define Honor for me?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity