Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 04:12 PM

951 posts, read 1,054,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
I built my "booth" yesterday. It's actually called a Succah, and the holiday is actually called Succos. Of course I'm a Jew (the real kind), so I actually have an obligation to dwell in my Succah during the holiday.

BTW, the obligation to dwell in the Succah is not for 8 days. After Hoshana Rabba (the 6th day of the 8-day holiday, assuming you include Shemeni Aztzeras and Simchas Torah as 2 of the 8 days), there is no longer an obligation to dwell in the Succah. But of course, that's found in the Talmud, of which I think none of you have access.

You'll have to forgive me. I really don't mean to sound smug, <begin smug part of post> but I find it really funny when Chrstians attempt to follow Jewish halacha (Torah law) and minhag (Jewish custom). Kind of reminds me of those instruction manuals you get when you buy Japanese electronics, where the Japanese copywriters have attempted to translate their instructions originally written in Japanese into English. Totally unintelligble. Your church says you can fulfill the obligation to dwell in a Succah by checking into a hotel? That's a good one! I'm going to have to share that with my friends when I daven mincha in shul tonight. <end smugness>
I use a small tent and a temporary pop-up gazebo for the seven days of the Feast and usually the evening of the eighth (it may depend on the weather for the eighth), as well.

But we allow campers, motel rooms, hotel rooms to qualify for temporary dwellings.

Quoting from one of our lessons on the Feast of Tabernacles:

"A booth or tabernacle is a temporary dwelling. God commanded the ancient Israelites to live in temporary shelters made of tree branches while observing the Feast of Tabernacles. For God's people who attend the Feast today in many different climates, tents, campers, motel or hotel rooms are appointed as temporary dwellings."

"The Feast of Tabernacles", p 14
http://www.cog-web-svc.com/hwa/cc/cc-32/cc32-30.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2012, 06:54 PM

4,729 posts, read 4,370,970 times
Hey. I think it's really quite nice that you observe Succos in your own way (I recognize you were not seeking out my approval). I think that Chrstians like you (the ones who attempt to observe certain facets of the Torah) are far far far from the problem in the world today.

I'm not sure if it's helpful to you or not to say that your Succos observance is nowhere close to what the Torah proscribes - but then again, you're not chiyev (obligated) in these mitzvahs, so there's absolutely no downside to your observing them in creative and interesting (although non Torahdik) ways.

Just keep on making the world a better place, and observe the 7 Noahide laws, if you see fit to do so, and the world will continue to spin.

Old 09-24-2012, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
Hey. I think it's really quite nice that you observe Succos in your own way (I recognize you were not seeking out my approval). I think that Chrstians like you (the ones who attempt to observe certain facets of the Torah) are far far far from the problem in the world today.

I'm not sure if it's helpful to you or not to say that your Succos observance is nowhere close to what the Torah proscribes - but then again, you're not chiyev (obligated) in these mitzvahs, so there's absolutely no downside to your observing them in creative and interesting (although non Torahdik) ways.

Just keep on making the world a better place, and observe the 7 Noahide laws, if you see fit to do so, and the world will continue to spin.
I hope you have a great Feast of Tabernacles/Succos!

"Sabbath Prayer" from "Fiddler on the Roof" -- performed by the Young Ambassadors

http://www.cog-web-svc.com/hwa/music/mp3/Sabbath_Prayer.mp3

"Fiddler on the Roof Medley" -- performed by the Young Ambassadors

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHB3UjD6T_U&feature=bf_prev&list=PL75F3547 F99AE5316

Old 09-25-2012, 08:53 AM

2,541 posts, read 2,544,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tthttf View Post
So, I guess there will be no need to resurrect you in the First Resurrection to rule with Christ during the Millennium when He forces Gentiles to come up to the Feast of Tabernacles since it would be such a burden and a put down for you to have to actually engage in such a physical sort of worship of Christ at the Feast of Tabernacles.

PASSOVER
DAYS OF UNLEAVENED BREAD
PENTECOST
FEAST OF TRUMPETS
DAY OF ATONEMENT
FEAST OF TABERNACLES (This seven day Festival pictures the Millennial Rule of Jesus Christ).
LAST GREAT DAY

Lesson on the Feast of Tabernacles
http://www.cog-web-svc.com/hwa/cc/cc-32/cc32-30.pdf
#1 God forces no one. God is love and He draws men to Himself. Men are punished for sin because when they do not have God they destroy the innocent.

#2 The seven days in a booth was symbolic and a training exercise for the real thing to come which is here now. It now is to worship God in Christ affortlessly 7 days a week in Spirit and in Truth. It is Gods gift of being "born again" of the Holy Spirit that enables that to happen. As Jesus said when you pray enter in to your closet and pray to your Father in secret and He shall reward you openly. The closet is called in Pslams the Secret Place of the Most High God not a literal booth anymore. The booth/closet represents the soul regenerated.

JN 4:19-24 The woman said unto Him, Sir, I perceive that you are a prophet. Our fathers worshipped in this mountain; and you say, that in Jerusalem is the place where men ought to worship. Jesus said unto her, Woman, believe Me, the hour is coming, when you shall neither in this mountain, nor yet at Jerusalem, worship the Father. You worship what you do not know: we know what we worship: for salvation is of the Jews. But the hour is coming, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeks such to worship him. God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth."

We can now worship seven days a week at any time or in any place by the Spirit in a booth not made with hands, forever and ever.

Last edited by garya123; 09-25-2012 at 09:17 AM..

Old 09-25-2012, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garya123 View Post
#1 God forces no one. God is love and He draws men to Himself. Men are punished for sin because when they do not have God they destroy the innocent.

#2 The seven days in a booth was symbolic and a training exercise for the real thing to come which is here now. It now is to worship God in Christ affortlessly 7 days a week in Spirit and in Truth. It is Gods gift of being "born again" of the Holy Spirit that enables that to happen. As Jesus said when you pray enter in to your closet and pray to your Father in secret and He shall reward you openly. The closet is called in Pslams the Secret Place of the Most High God not a literal booth anymore. The booth/closet represents the soul regenerated.

JN 4:19-24 The woman said unto Him, Sir, I perceive that you are a prophet. Our fathers worshipped in this mountain; and you say, that in Jerusalem is the place where men ought to worship. Jesus said unto her, Woman, believe Me, the hour is coming, when you shall neither in this mountain, nor yet at Jerusalem, worship the Father. You worship what you do not know: we know what we worship: for salvation is of the Jews. But the hour is coming, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeks such to worship him. God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth."

We can now worship seven days a week at any time or in any place by the Spirit in a booth not made with hands, forever and ever.
I disagree. Modern Christianity has replaced the Holy Days of God with ancient pagan festivals and mixed the worship of Christ in with these heathen festivals and pronounced them Christian. That may work for an empire that wanted to please both their Christian and pagan citizens but this is not the way of God or Christ in true Christianity.

Christ and the early apostles set us an example, they attended the Holy Days of God and kept the weekly Sabbath. Christ, could have hid in a closet instead of going to the Feast of Tabernacles and face those angry Jews who wanted to kill him. He didn't make excuses like you are doing and try to "spiritualize away" His obligation to attend the Feast of Tabernacles. He went to the Feast.

I like the way this minister presented the topic. I posted this link earlier on this thread earlier. I am not a member of this man's organization and I make no endorsement of his organization but he spoke the reasons for going to the Feast plainly and accurately:

Feast of Tabernacles 2012 - YouTube

Old 10-01-2012, 11:23 AM

1 posts, read 735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garya123 View Post

To the Israel, God is not love for He forced them to observe those feast days. If God does not change and if He is love and if Christ and Him are one, shouldn't He have let them take their holidays whenever however they wanted?
Is the feast of tabernacles a.k.a. feast of ingathering fullfilled? The ingathering part has not happened yet i.e. the tares and wheat are still together on earth.
Does John 4:19-24 teach that believers are not to celebrate the feasts - or - that believers are to celebrate the feasts, wherever they are, in spirit and in truth?

Old 10-01-2012, 04:50 PM

43,710 posts, read 44,473,033 times
Since Jesus was born a Jew and died a Jew (meaning he was a Jew for all of his life) and he celebrated all the Jewish holidays including Succoth/Sukkot/Feast of Tabernacles.

Old 10-01-2012, 04:58 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,190,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Since Jesus was born a Jew and died a Jew (meaning he was a Jew for all of his life) and he celebrated all the Jewish holidays including Succoth/Sukkot/Feast of Tabernacles.
Before his death, you mean. He served the old covenant until there was a new one.

Old 10-03-2012, 01:33 PM

987 posts, read 1,119,963 times
I believe that one is confused to say that Christians have 'replaced' Jewish feast days for pagan ones.

The Jewish men were commanded to go to Jerusalem to observe the 3 main feast days. Christians are free to observe Christmas, Easter, etc. That fact that pagan customs were inserted into the celebrations is regrettable but with humans, all things get muddied up The only similar events are Passover and Easter and Christians were not commanded to celebrate Passover.

It may be regrettable that pagan customs involving Ishtar were assimilated into the celebration of our Lord's resurrection, but even those, if looked at properly can glorify God. I've even heard excellent explanations of the Halloween jack o lantern in reference to how the Christians is emptied of his own desires and the light of Christ shines forth.

Even the Israelites made up lots of extra 'laws' in order to verify and refine what was meant by the broader laws and how far the people could go and still be within the law, such as exactly how far one could travel on the sabbath etc.

What is happening inside one's heart and the fruit that comes forth from that in loving God and his neighbor is what God is most concerned with today. The antitype of the Law and the feasts has come and so the shadow is no longer needed. God Himself will replace our stony hearts with a heart of flesh and we will all eventually be and do what glorifies Him and us, In His Time. Amen.

Old 10-04-2012, 02:05 PM

43,710 posts, read 44,473,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
Before his death, you mean. He served the old covenant until there was a new one.
Jesus was Jewish and never meant to form a new religion. Therefore he was Jewish until he died and practiced the Jewish religion and believed in the Old Testament during his whole life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity