Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 08:25 PM

112 posts, read 144,675 times

Advertisements

what is this all about?

again, I cannot think of a Biblical quote that would really prohibit using contraception, and of course, what about Aids, STD's , pregnancies and the rest?

so why do Catholics and other denominations oppose the use of contraception?

Old 09-25-2012, 08:49 PM

1,320 posts, read 1,248,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old-goat View Post
what is this all about?

again, I cannot think of a Biblical quote that would really prohibit using contraception, and of course, what about Aids, STD's , pregnancies and the rest?

because the church would rather support abstinence. Supporting contraception is supporting sexual activities usually outside of marriage. Its very simple.

Old 09-25-2012, 08:54 PM

what about using contraception within a marriage - would that be allowed?

Old 09-26-2012, 08:23 AM

606 posts, read 944,462 times
Quote:
I think the rationales are similar for Catholics and Protestants but the specifics are going to be different -- between Catholics and Protestants and among different strains of Protestant belief. Protestants hold beliefs ranging from contraception not being prohibited at all within a married relationship to the Quiverfull folks who believe, based on Psalm 127 and other verses, that children are always and everywhere a blessing to a married couple and that couples should not attempt to limit the number of children they have from any intervention (in some cases, that couples should actively attempt to get pregnant as often as possible).

The absolute best source for the Catholic reasoning on this is the Encyclical Humanae Vitae, which is a pretty quick read.

Old 09-26-2012, 08:48 AM

419 posts, read 435,283 times
In short, it's because Catholics are required to accept the teachings of their Popes as infallible on issues of faith and morals. The above mentioned Humanae Vitae said that children are blessings from God. Since sex is only moral within the confines of marriage, birth control is not necessary, and the use of it is sinful, and encourages immoral behavior.

It's hard to argue with the idea that it will lead to worse things, considering the way our culture is obsessed with sex and the number of abortions and sex-related disease has skyrocketed the last few decades.

Old 09-26-2012, 06:18 PM

22,922 posts, read 28,285,009 times
If you really want to understand what Catholics believe and why, best go to the source: Birth Control | Catholic Answers

Old 09-26-2012, 08:19 PM

so if I have Aids, should I have sex with my wife without a condom?

Old 09-27-2012, 06:02 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,921,465 times
My guess is that whatever answer they gave to the why?, it wouldn't make any sense and it wouldn't be supported by anything in the Bible. When I was young, it was expected that Catholics would have a lot of kids. My guess is that opposition to contraception is an extension of that command for its people. Why are Catholics supposed to have a lot of kids? Maybe so that they can have more money in the church through the growth of the church.

Old 09-27-2012, 06:57 AM

3,066 posts, read 3,724,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairieparson View Post
My guess is that whatever answer they gave to the why?, it wouldn't make any sense and it wouldn't be supported by anything in the Bible. When I was young, it was expected that Catholics would have a lot of kids. My guess is that opposition to contraception is an extension of that command for its people. Why are Catholics supposed to have a lot of kids? Maybe so that they can have more money in the church through the growth of the church.
RESPONSE:

In essence, the Church considers sex a necessary evil only justified when "opened to procreation." Thus sex for pleasure only even between the married is wrong.

This is claimed to be proven by the "natural law." (Formerly, the Church used natural law arguments to justify slave ownership and condemn loaning anything for interest before these teachings were reversed).

Curiously though, the Church now allows "natural family planning" if there is a just reason to limit births. This method relies on the woman's harmonal cycle. One is still forbidden to use artificial birth control to control this cycle but must rely on time. In essence, the Church allows temporal regulation but forbids chemical regulation of births.

Old 09-27-2012, 07:22 AM

606 posts, read 944,462 times
Quote:
so if I have Aids, should I have sex with my wife without a condom?
The Principle of Double Effect implies that you could use condoms in that circumstance; it's the theological justification for why Catholics who have endometriosis or ovarian cysts can take birth control pills and still have sex. As long as the primary reason for using a contraceptive is not to prevent pregnancy, it's OK that it's a side effect. Here the primary reason for using a condom would be to prevent the spread of disease, so I think most priests would be fine with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity