Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 09:31 AM

22,925 posts, read 28,302,797 times

Advertisements

Found at: https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...88108980_n.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2012, 10:39 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,389,650 times
Your picture is funny. It takes a while to go through it, but all the stereotypes are there!

As a moderate Catholic, most of us are totally ok with the Greek and Eastern Orthodox churches (you know, where the priests wear helicopter landing pads on their heads) and also with Episcopalian and Lutheran churches, despite the historical split. I think we range from accepting to positive on mainstream Methodists and Presbyterians. I think that we don't care for conservative Baptists and points further right, because they view the Virgin Mary, statuary, some of the elaborate vestments, and rote liturgical rites as items which separate us from the Christian umbrella.

Old 10-16-2012, 05:54 AM

22,925 posts, read 28,302,797 times
The only one I don't understand is "Charismatic as seen by Catholics." Can anyone explain that to me? I just looks like a paint collage to me. Or 10,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 rubber bands as seen from space. I don't get it.

Old 10-16-2012, 01:19 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,389,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
The only one I don't understand is "Charismatic as seen by Catholics." Can anyone explain that to me? I just looks like a paint collage to me. Or 10,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 rubber bands as seen from space. I don't get it.
To me, collage says "all over the place." I went to 2 charismatic functions when about 20, because someone I went to high school with said I should check it out. When a bunch of people in a meeting room start speaking in tongues, that's what it sounds like: "all over the place." I never went back.

Old 10-16-2012, 01:26 PM

28,103 posts, read 29,997,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Interesting. And not one single solitary picture of Jesus Christ in the whole lot. Maybe that should be telling us something.

Old 10-17-2012, 02:52 PM

2,817 posts, read 3,464,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Interesting. And not one single solitary picture of Jesus Christ in the whole lot. Maybe that should be telling us something.
so true. Maybe that is why Jesus would have stayed away from church. Everytime he was around the church folks he had issues. At the synogogue they tried to capture him, they questioned him, they did everything bad to him when he was around those religious folks. When he was among the common folk, he walked on water, healed, raised the dead, fed a few folks, etc... Nothing has changed.

Old 10-18-2012, 06:57 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,191,969 times
Quote:
Oh good grief. A funny little image that demonstrates the wide divisional suspicions we have of one another, and you have to get all pious. The reason there's no picture of Christ in any of those squares is because they are all about Christ, which means you've missed the point. The title of the image is "How Different Christian Denominations See Each Other." See how that works?

Old 10-18-2012, 09:25 AM

28,103 posts, read 29,997,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Oh good grief. A funny little image that demonstrates the wide divisional suspicions we have of one another, and you have to get all pious. The reason there's no picture of Christ in any of those squares is because they are all about Christ, which means you've missed the point. The title of the image is "How Different Christian Denominations See Each Other." See how that works?
Calm down. I didn't miss the point at all. You missed mine. My point, which you evidently mised, is that we're all so busy stereotyping everybody else and looking for things about each other to criticize that we neglect to realize that we're all really just worshipping in the best way we know. Despite the fact that there are now 30,000 different Christian denominations in the world, no two of which are exactly the same, either organizationally or doctrinally, I see so much contention between people who should know better. We don't have to see eye to eye on everything to behave like mature adults and stop putting sticking stupid little labels on each other. I laughed at the images; they were funny. On the other hand, I think the overall message the collage sent was very indicative of what's wrong with Christianity today. If that makes me pious, I plead guilty.

Old 10-18-2012, 11:44 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,191,969 times
Quote:
Calm down. I didn't miss the point at all. You missed mine. My point, which you evidently mised, is that we're all so busy stereotyping everybody else and looking for things about each other to criticize that we neglect to realize that we're all really just worshipping in the best way we know. Despite the fact that there are now 30,000 different Christian denominations in the world, no two of which are exactly the same, either organizationally or doctrinally, I see so much contention between people who should know better. We don't have to see eye to eye on everything to behave like mature adults and stop putting sticking stupid little labels on each other. I laughed at the images; they were funny. On the other hand, I think the overall message the collage sent was very indicative of what's wrong with Christianity today. If that makes me pious, I plead guilty.
Sorry. The high percentage of knuckle-draggers on here leads me to think every post is intended that way.

Old 10-18-2012, 02:07 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,206,891 times
I thought the fact that it was labeled CHRISTian denominations was enough to figure out every denomination centered around Jesus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity