Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 10:28 AM

4,686 posts, read 6,154,148 times

Advertisements

Christian Holidays
Christmas & Easter

Gods Holy Days
Passover, Days of Unleavened Bread, Pentecost, Feast of Trumpets, Day of Atonement, Feast of Tabernacles, Last Great Day

--I was at a bible study the other day and the topic was about this. The subject was that God commanded his holy days to be celebrated forever and they are the Lords days, not the Jews days, so all mankind should still be celebrating them. And how Jesus, and the disciples celebrated kept keep the feast days, so we should too using 1 Corinthians 5:7-8 as there reference.
1 Corinthians 5:7-8

New King James Version (NKJV)

7 Therefore purge out the old leaven, that you may be a new lump, since you truly are unleavened. For indeed Christ, our Passover, was sacrificed for us.[a] 8 Therefore let us keep the feast, not with old leaven, nor with the leaven of malice and wickedness, but with the unleavened bread of sincerity and truth.

--As for Christmas and Easter, i got the usual...they were pagan holidays, which is 100% true and was quoted Jeremiah 10 Deut 12: 29-32.

Jeremiah 10

Idols and the True God

10 Hear the word which the Lord speaks to you, O house of Israel.
2 Thus says the Lord:
“Do not learn the way of the Gentiles;
Do not be dismayed at the signs of heaven,
For the Gentiles are dismayed at them.
3 For the customs of the peoples are futile;
For one cuts a tree from the forest,
The work of the hands of the workman, with the ax.
4 They decorate it with silver and gold;
They fasten it with nails and hammers
So that it will not topple.
5 They are upright, like a palm tree,
And they cannot speak;
They must be carried,
Because they cannot go by themselves.
Do not be afraid of them,
For they cannot do evil,
Nor can they do any good.”

Deuteronomy 12:29-32

Beware of False Gods

29 “When the Lord your God cuts off from before you the nations which you go to dispossess, and you displace them and dwell in their land, 30 take heed to yourself that you are not ensnared to follow them, after they are destroyed from before you, and that you do not inquire after their gods, saying, ‘How did these nations serve their gods? I also will do likewise.’ 31 You shall not worship the Lord your God in that way; for every abomination to the Lord which He hates they have done to their gods; for they burn even their sons and daughters in the fire to their gods.
32 “Whatever I command you, be careful to observe it; you shall not add to it nor take away from it.

--Granted Christians are not worshiping Baal or Nimrod or any form of sun god in there hearts, i dont think Easter egg hunts, Santa clause, shop til you go broke for Christmas presents, should be any part of those holidays either as they have absolutely nothing to do with Christ.

--Do you think it is wrong to celebrate Christmas or Easter knowing there original origins even though thats not what it means when they are celebrated now adays, but God did say do not imitate the pagans and try to worshipi him the same way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2012, 12:24 PM

1,435 posts, read 1,555,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
Christian Holidays
Christmas & Easter

Gods Holy Days
Passover, Days of Unleavened Bread, Pentecost, Feast of Trumpets, Day of Atonement, Feast of Tabernacles, Last Great Day

Quote:
Wow!! Usually these predictable and quite routine threads of "Easter is really pagan" or "Christmas is really pagan" come around the time of the actual holidays!! This has been debated numerous times here.

--I was at a bible study the other day and the topic was about this. The subject was that God commanded his holy days to be celebrated forever and they are the Lords days, not the Jews days, so all mankind should still be celebrating them. And how Jesus, and the disciples celebrated kept keep the feast days, so we should too using 1 Corinthians 5:7-8 as there reference.

7 Therefore purge out the old leaven, that you may be a new lump, since you truly are unleavened. For indeed Christ, our Passover, was sacrificed for us.[a] 8 Therefore let us keep the feast, not with old leaven, nor with the leaven of malice and wickedness, but with the unleavened bread of sincerity and truth.

Quote:
Whoever led that Bible study simply interprets Scripture dfferently than about 99% of the christian world. And I would say that that interpretation is wrong. But who am I? I only have 2,000 years of theology to go on!!

--As for Christmas and Easter, i got the usual...they were pagan holidays, which is 100% true and was quoted Jeremiah 10 Deut 12: 29-32.

Quote:
WRONG. They were not "100% true pagan holidays"!!

Jeremiah 10

Idols and the True God

2 Thus says the Lord:
And they cannot speak;
They must be carried,
For they cannot do evil,

Beware of False Gods

29 “When the Lord your God cuts off from before you the nations which you go to dispossess, and you displace them and dwell in their land, 30 take heed to yourself that you are not ensnared to follow them, after they are destroyed from before you, and that you do not inquire after their gods, saying, ‘How did these nations serve their gods? I also will do likewise.’ 31 You shall not worship the Lord your God in that way; for every abomination to the Lord which He hates they have done to their gods; for they burn even their sons and daughters in the fire to their gods.
32 “Whatever I command you, be careful to observe it; you shall not add to it nor take away from it.

Quote:
We are not under the Old Covenant.

--Granted Christians are not worshiping Baal or Nimrod or any form of sun god in there hearts, i dont think Easter egg hunts, Santa clause, shop til you go broke for Christmas presents, should be any part of those holidays either as they have absolutely nothing to do with Christ.

Quote:
Really? These sources say other wise (and so does the actual Masses at christmas time...they're all about Christ!!): Are Christmas and Easter pagan holidays? - Defending the Catholic Faith , Christmas is Not Pagan - Part I
--Do you think it is wrong to celebrate Christmas or Easter knowing there original origins even though thats not what it means when they are celebrated now adays, but God did say do not imitate the pagans and try to worshipi him the same way?

Again, the whole premise is wrong. Here are some good sources I hope you take a quick look at: Are Christmas and Easter pagan holidays? - Defending the Catholic Faith , Was Easter Borrowed from a Pagan Holiday? | Christian History | Grace Lutheran Church - Dyer, Indiana , Christmas is Not Pagan - Part I

Of course, this all depends on your interpretation of Scripture, of Tradition (if you believe in that), and who or what you accept as your spiritual authority. I accept the decisions and theologies of 2,000 years of christianity, most of it manifest in the Catholic Church (though I do lean towards the Orthodox Church a little and am still very influenced by my former Lutheran brethren). But I am guessing whoever led that Bible study you were at would probably dismiss them all as being "pagan" or "paganized chrsitianity" and therefore "illegitimate" anyways.

More good NON-CATHOLIC sources: http://www.orlutheran.com/html/chrmas_pagan2.html , http://www.orlutheran.com/html/chrmas_pagan3.html , http://www.orlutheran.com/html/chrmas_pagan4.html

Last edited by cmforte; 05-21-2012 at 01:40 PM..

Old 05-21-2012, 01:45 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,647,665 times
They are absolutely Pagan holidays. Christians by and large do not know the enemy. YHWH God commands his people to be separate.

One thing all Christians should know is that Satan is one great big counterfeit. The Babylonian Mystery religion was initiated at the Tower of Babel - Semiramus (professed "virgin" giving birth to Tammuz - proclaimed reincarnation of Nimrod/Sun g-d). His rebirth was celebrated on the 25th of December. He was attempting to trick people in believing Scripture - the seed of promise - was fulfilled.

How does God see it?

Ezekiel 8:13-14

13 He said also unto me, Turn thee yet again, and thou shalt see greater abominations that they do.

14 Then he brought me to the door of the gate of the Lord's house which was toward the north; and, behold, there sat women weeping for Tammuz.

God makes in clear who Jesus is as a person is illuminated in Scripture. What he said, did, etc is all there. The Scriptures also warn us of "other Jesus" and "false Jesus'".

We want to make sure we are weeping for Jesus Christ not Tammuz.

The Enemy works in exoteric (what they tell you it means) and esoteric (what it really means to them).

If Satan can not eliminate Jesus Christ and his works, he will work to pursuade people away from THE real Jesus Christ - the one illuminated in the Scriptures.

Is it okay for a Christian to worship on these days? If it results in exhalting the real Jesus Christ - the one revealed in the Scriptures.

Old 05-21-2012, 04:05 PM

63,941 posts, read 40,218,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelee81 View Post
They are absolutely Pagan holidays. Christians by and large do not know the enemy. YHWH God commands his people to be separate.
Nonsense! They are what the CELEBRANTS INTEND that they be.
Quote:
How could you possibly NOT KNOW who you are weeping for or celebrating???? This is a preposterous idea. We ALWAYS celebrate who we INTEND to celebrate. It is impossible to do otherwise.
Quote:
Is it okay for a Christian to worship on these days? If it results in exhalting the real Jesus Christ - the one revealed in the Scriptures.
IF that is the INTENT . . . it cannot do anything BUT . . . ever..

Old 05-21-2012, 04:12 PM

4,323 posts, read 6,031,362 times
Quote:
Christian Holidays
Christmas & Easter

Gods Holy Days

Jeremiah 10

Idols and the True God

2 Thus says the Lord:
And they cannot speak;
They must be carried,
For they cannot do evil,

Beware of False Gods

All holidays, even holy days, are all man made. God does not celebrate holidays. It's entirely up to the individual which days he or she wishes to celebrate. Again, God did not create holidays nor holy days. Man did.

Old 05-21-2012, 04:14 PM

4,323 posts, read 6,031,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelee81 View Post

One thing all Christians should know is that Satan is one great big counterfeit. The Babylonian Mystery religion was initiated at the Tower of Babel - Semiramus (professed "virgin" giving birth to Tammuz - proclaimed reincarnation of Nimrod/Sun g-d). His rebirth was celebrated on the 25th of December. He was attempting to trick people in believing Scripture - the seed of promise - was fulfilled.

How does God see it?

Ezekiel 8:13-14

13 He said also unto me, Turn thee yet again, and thou shalt see greater abominations that they do.

14 Then he brought me to the door of the gate of the Lord's house which was toward the north; and, behold, there sat women weeping for Tammuz.

God makes in clear who Jesus is as a person is illuminated in Scripture. What he said, did, etc is all there. The Scriptures also warn us of "other Jesus" and "false Jesus'".

The Enemy works in exoteric (what they tell you it means) and esoteric (what it really means to them).

If Satan can not eliminate Jesus Christ and his works, he will work to pursuade people away from THE real Jesus Christ - the one illuminated in the Scriptures.

Seriously? God does not want us to be seperate as none of us were created seperate. It's mankind who seperates himself from others by their beliefs. We are each other at our spiritual root source.

And, I do believe it's in the bible that we are to worship and exalt God, not Jesus. We can do that any day of the year without holidays or holy days. How awesome is that!!!!

Old 10-20-2012, 03:54 PM

2,541 posts, read 2,546,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Nonsense! They are what the CELEBRANTS INTEND that they be. How could you possibly NOT KNOW who you are weeping for or celebrating???? This is a preposterous idea. We ALWAYS celebrate who we INTEND to celebrate. It is impossible to do otherwise.IF that is the INTENT . . . it cannot do anything BUT . . . ever..
I agree. It is all about intent and that is what God looks at. All this wrangling about holidays whether they be Jewish or Gentle is just another outlet for those who have nothing better to do the condemn needlessly. These holidays are not the real issues of life. Christ and His righteousness is the issue.

Old 10-20-2012, 04:34 PM

428 posts, read 331,534 times
Well Passover was given to Israel only.

Exodous 12:
3 Speak ye unto all the congregation of Israel, saying, In the tenth day of this month they shall take to them every man a lamb, according to the house of their fathers, a lamb for an house:

6 And ye shall keep it up until the fourteenth day of the same month: and the whole assembly of the congregation of Israel shall kill it in the evening.

14 And this day shall be unto you for a memorial; and ye(that would be Israel) shall keep it a feast to the LORD throughout your generations; ye shall keep it a feast by an ordinance for ever.
15 Seven days shall ye eat unleavened bread; even the first day ye shall put away leaven out of your houses: for whosoever eateth leavened bread from the first day until the seventh day, that soul shall be cut off from Israel.

21 Then Moses called for all the elders of Israel, and said unto them, Draw out and take you a lamb according to your families, and kill the passover.

24 And ye shall observe this thing for an ordinance to thee (that would be Israel) and to thy sons(that would be Israel as well) for ever.

27 That ye shall say, It is the sacrifice of the LORD’s passover, who passed over the houses of the children of Israel in Egypt, when he smote the Egyptians, and delivered our houses. And the people bowed the head and worshipped.

28 And the children of Israel went away, and did as the LORD had commanded Moses and Aaron, so did they.

Old 10-20-2012, 06:29 PM

259 posts, read 366,616 times
Saan Wow! wow! wow! maybe the church (not taught) could glean from this . This post Saan and follow up posts
probably are the most relevant of all posts (millions) ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In Christ!

Old 10-20-2012, 06:50 PM

428 posts, read 331,534 times
Quote:
Christian Holidays

SAAN, I would say that Christmas and Easter have become more of a cultural festival than pagan these day's. What I think is wrong is to lie and claim they have something to do with Jesus, God or the Church. As everyone knows (even though some lie about it) these came from pagan worship but I doubt many people today are really worshiping Baal or Nimrod or any god for that matter.

In our house we acknowledge the fact that Jesus was not born on December 25th and it's just about Santa Clause and exchanging presents and that's all. As for Easter, we recognize it's origins and that it is only about egg's and bunny's and candy and nothing else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity