Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 08:53 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,383,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Trimac 20 you need to realize your purpose in life is to uncover truth via exhaustive study .
Do NOT fall for this.

Instead, find rest for your already exhausted mind in this:

Quote:
whatever is true, whatever is worthy of reverence and is honorable and seemly, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely and lovable, whatever is kind and winsome and gracious, if there is any virtue and excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think on and weigh and take account of these things [fix your minds on them].
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2012, 10:05 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,344,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbidave View Post
Trimac 20 you need to realize your purpose in life is to uncover truth via exhaustive study . You are a frustrated believer and may need group study that may include a messanic in the mix. The church lacks the blessings and teachings that were abruptly tossed and forbidden by Constantine namely Jewish roots. That whole enchilada is a discussion for later. Let's delve into the chronology I believe has a Holy Spirit guided and scholarly fed timeline. Thre second coming is a totally separate event that is projected to occur after the 7 years of Tibulation. As a slight segway you Trimac will not enter Tribulation as it is judgement on Israel (non messanic unbelievers and unbelieving gentiles). Ok so what about the trumpet entry of Jesus and the gang? Jesus intially comes for His church in the AIR! He does not go lower than the clouds !!! We will be "caught up" to Him not vice versa . The dead (believers ) first THEN living and breathing belivers (the church)! It's not His second coming. The chronology continues as many enter 7 years of Trib and at the 3.5 year antichirst who was a bud of Israel desecrates the temple and claims to be God. His Islamic little demons then beheads those not accepting his rule and rejecting Jesus. Those martyred are then saved fullfilling their last chance evidence of faith (this really pleases God in ways we can't comprehend) As for those that acept the mark they will be judged by God (i'm not worthy but have a hunch that it isn't warm and fuzzy). Now toward the very end of Tribulation Jesus realizing Israel will be attacked by a number of Islamic neighboring muslim countries (10 I believe) are destroyed (again I believe by fire? The antichrist is fried and Jesus now does return (2nd coming) and sets up shop for His millennum reign for 1000 years (He bounds satan for 1000 years as well). Tromac who finds life on earth a hassle now is in a heavenly body and finds himself actively involved in the millennum using his knowledge and talents to witness to newbees . It willl be a glorious, painless, joyful time traveling within the new expanded borders of Israel. All the desert areas will be full of vegetation, Israel will flourish under Jesus and it will be close to utopian. Again chronologically now the 1000 years are over and satan is released ( I believe Jesus sets this up to destroy satan ) Satan then musters (slow to learn muslims) and the battle of Gog and Magog between Jesus and Satan's army and guess who wins ? ......Possibly with your help as a warrior Jesus destroys billions ( like the sand on the seashore.) Sometime later the earth is destroyed by fire (a prep for the new earth?) yeh!!! You reign with the Lord for eternity in heaven a place of unspeakable joy (that's a lot of joy) and thats a wrap.
Is this a new release, now playing at the theaters?

Old 11-03-2012, 04:24 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,273,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Is this a new release, now playing at the theaters?
Coming soon............to a theatre near you

Old 11-03-2012, 09:30 AM

3,066 posts, read 3,721,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobjonesjr View Post
What is meant by this generation? The generation that sees all these things, all these things include everything in the previous verses leading up to verse 34. His Apostles did not see all those things in their lives. So it is talking about a future generation. Rest in Jesus friend, don’t let wolves sneak in and devour you.
RESPONSE:

"This generation" means the present generation. "That generation" would mean a past or future generation.

"This generation" can also be described as "those standing here," the present tense.

Old 11-03-2012, 12:00 PM

2 posts, read 14,534 times
Find out what you are anxious about
Even if you are not fully conscious of it, find the thread and start to question it rather than, as a previous post says, letting your anxiety rule your life. Get a good therapist or psychologist who understands anxiety properly and will help you with it. If you don't click with them on the first session they are not right for you. Looking for religious or spiritual answers is only helpful and meaningful when you are emotionally healthy and have spare capacity. Ask Jesus to help you find the right help by all means, but you must do your part and let go of thinking you can do it without help. Very best of luck

Old 11-03-2012, 01:24 PM

63,775 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbidave View Post
Trimac 20 you need to realize your purpose in life is to uncover truth via exhaustive study .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Do NOT fall for this.

Instead, find rest for your already exhausted mind in this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Trimac
Jesus Christ came to set us free from all that our alienated minds wrongly taught us God IS. The truth is the concept that most Christians have of God is not very different to the one they had when they were alienated from God in their minds.

whatever is true, whatever is worthy of reverence and is honorable and seemly, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely and lovable, whatever is kind and winsome and gracious, if there is any virtue and excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think on and weigh and take account of these things [fix your minds on them].
Pleroo is correct, Trimac . . . for most people. Extensive scholarship and study CAN eventually lead you to the truth. But as Pleroo said . . . just focus on what brother pcamps said (in blue). It is easier and there is no more truthful truth. We are to "love God and each other" daily and repent when we don't, period. Everything else is human vanity and hubris.

Old 11-03-2012, 01:39 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,383,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Pleroo is correct, Trimac . . . for most people. Extensive scholarship and study CAN eventually lead you to the truth. But as Pleroo said . . . just focus on what brother pcamps said (in blue). It is easier and there is no more truthful truth. We are to "love God and each other" daily and repent when we don't, period. Everything else is human vanity and hubris.
I have no idea if what I said is true for most people or not, honestly. But I do know that it is true for someone in the midst of severe anxiety and suicidal thoughts. The mind is already exhausted from chasing itself around in circles and just trying to survive. "Exhaustive study" to answer existential questions is the worst thing to advise someone in that frame of mind to do, in my humble but experienced opinion. The mind needs time to rest and heal and to learn how to master anxiety, first. And, again in my experience, the best rest comes from believing that we are loved and accepted unconditionally.

Old 11-03-2012, 02:08 PM

8,166 posts, read 6,917,406 times
Quote:
I have no idea if what I said is true for most people or not, honestly. But I do know that it is true for someone in the midst of severe anxiety and suicidal thoughts. The mind is already exhausted from chasing itself around in circles and just trying to survive. "Exhaustive study" to answer existential questions is the worst thing to advise someone in that frame of mind to do, in my humble but experienced opinion. The mind needs time to rest and heal and to learn how to master anxiety, first. And, again in my experience, the best rest comes from believing that we are loved and accepted unconditionally.
The peace that transcends all understanding.

Old 11-03-2012, 02:09 PM

63,775 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
It was my intent to convey that to Trimac, Pleroo . . . but you clearly said it better.

Old 11-03-2012, 02:09 PM

1,341 posts, read 1,529,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Here's the verse in question:

4 Thessalonions 4:15-17

According to the Lord's own word, we tell you that we who are still alive, who are left till the coming of the Lord, will certainly not precede those who have fallen asleep. For the Lord himself will come down from heaven, with a loud command, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet call of the God, and the dead in Christ will rise first. After that, we who are still alive and are left will be caught up together in them in the in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And so we will be with the Lord forever.

How do you argue away this passage? In the expositions about Jesus' apparent failed/unfulfilled prophecies about his second coming, I seldom see it raised. Does it not show that Paul believed in a liberal, physical return of Christ, and a physical resurrection in the lifetime of those he wrote to, the Church at Thessalonica? If so, Paul himself believed this, and there's no way to argue that generation doesn't mean 40 years, or that those standing here would not taste death before seeing the second coming.
Personally I do not like to 'argue away passages' but prefer to understand them. There is no doubt Paul expected the coming of Christ during the lifetimes of those he wrote to. The word "coming" is the Greek word "parousia" which is better understood as "presence".

For me to understand verses I try to use the whole counsel of God, that is I like to consider everything about the topic at hand. After doing so one can see that Paul clearly did not believe there would be a physical resurrection of flesh and bone bodies. And even in the passage here he claimed the Lord would come "with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God" which are all phrases with spiritual meanings, not literal physical phrases that people are going to hear.

The last trump of God sounded in 70AD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity