Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 05:41 AM

1,543 posts, read 1,315,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
Anyways, the people who believe homosexuality and abortion and sex-before marriage is okay have the right to believe it, but you do not have the right to preach that opinion to others as many people it's wrong teachings and should be up to people to come to their own conclusion anyways.
I agree that homosexuality and abortion and sex before marriage are all taught as being wrong in the Bible. But we are all free agents and God allows us to make our own choicesl But I believe God opposes people turning His Word into a lie as it is taught in many liberal denominations.
Best wishes as we seek to know and DO the will of God.
Bob Prince
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2012, 11:32 AM

2,865 posts, read 3,637,628 times
Liberal Christianity is collapsing...
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/15/op...-be-saved.html

As I've always said, when your Christian faith isn't based on the Bible but instead based on modern secular cultural norms, how can such faith stand? Mainline Protestant denominations such as the Episcopals, Methodists, Presbyterians, etc have all "modernized" their message, supporting total sexual liberation and the freedom to reject large portions of Scripture dealing with supernatural miracles, in hopes of attracting a younger, more open minded crowd but instead the opposite has happened. Over the past ten years, attendance in mainline liberal Protestant churches has collapsed. I think it is to a point that liberal Christianity has more in common with atheism than it does traditional Christianity and there is nothing it offers that people can't get from an atheist or self-help group.

What people are hungry for is the Word of God and the unadulterated Gospel of the Bible. It's no co-incidence that the churches preaching that Gospel, the one preached by Peter, Paul, and John, are thriving.

That is why it is important to "study to show yourself approved" daily. Read and immerse yourself in God's word. Read the works of the apostles, the words of the early church fathers as well. Pray several times a day. Strive to make "living the word" a way of life, NOT just something you put on when you "attend church". The "real world" starts when you walk out of the doors. Attending services is just supposed to help you learn something new/ reinforce something (if you have a good leader/pastor) and recharge your spiritual batteries. Too many denominations/churches err in trying to make the "word" come up to fit with modern times. Instead, modern times needs to go back to the true meaning behind the bible. A lot of people out there will ridicule/make fun of/take out of context what I have just said but those serious about living a Christian lifestyle know what I really mean.

Old 12-07-2012, 01:55 PM

4,883 posts, read 6,222,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
You keep trying to claim what the Bible says, and yet you refuse to actually acknowledge the complication of the Bible not being written in 21st Century English. You quote Leviticus in English, when it was written in Hebrew, and barely makes sense in Hebrew let alone English. You also quote it, while completely ignoring the glaring contextual problem that's well evident. And then you completely ignore how Jewish law works, which proves it can't be referring to homosexuality, in fact the Talmud states that no man has ever been charged with that crime. You ignore that the Torah laws were written specifically for the Ancient Israelites. You ignore well over 500 of the 613 Mitzvah, and yet have the audacity to cherry pick one verse to condemn a group of people you don't like or understand.

Sorry, but it's you who has the issue here. It's you twisting scripture to suit your prejudice.
Fiyero...(said extremely sarcastically) don't you know by now that Christianity knows way more about the OT and what is meant by it than Jewish people do???

This is something I find truly astounding sometimes...to claim they know more about the Jewish books than the Jews do (the people who actually wrote them)...simply ridiculous.

Old 12-10-2012, 12:19 PM

1,543 posts, read 1,315,889 times
I posted an item on city-data.com/forums/social-group-bible-talk on 4-29-12:

“The wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy” (James 3:17)

OBTAINING ETERNAL LIFE
When I woke up earlier than usual this morning, I had been dreaming about people who had been discussing the topic of death. Since I am 81 years old, the thought went through my mind that this was an important topic for me to be thinking about. I thought about the millions of people who have been convinced that if they believe on Jesus Christ as being the Son of God, they are sure of having been born again and that they will go to heaven when they die. The words of Jesus appear to confirm this belief in John 10: [27] My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me: [28] And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand.
I heard a highly respected Protestant preacher say recently that if we had ever believed in Jesus Christ as being the son of God, we can be assured that we have eternal life and that He has saved us from all our sins, past , present, and future.
But the words in Revelation 21:27 stuck in my mind: “And there shall in no wise enter into it any thing that defileth, neither whatsoever worketh abomination, or maketh a lie: but they which are written in the Lamb's book of life.” And our Savior said in Matt. 10: [22] And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake: but he that endureth to the end shall be saved. And in John 8: [31] If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed.
Jesus said in John 14: [15] If ye love me, keep my commandments. And St. John said in 1John:2: [4] He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.
St. Peter said in Acts 5: [32] And we are his witnesses of these things; and so is also the Holy Ghost, whom God hath given to them that obey him. Paul said further in Rom. 8: [7] The carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be. [8] So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God. [9] But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.
So what do we base our hope of eternal life on unless we have truly repented and have been given the Holy Spirit, having a mind to obey our Lord and Savior, and then being faithful unto death (Rev. 2: [10] Be thou faithful unto death, and I will give thee a crown of life.)
Jesus promised in Matt. 5: [6] Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled. And in Matt. 7: [7] Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you. And in Luke 11: [13] If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children: how much more shall your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask him?

Best wishes to all as we seek to know and DO the will of God,
Bob Prince
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity