Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2012, 08:05 PM

6 posts, read 14,527 times

Advertisements

Hello,

This may be a bit peculiar, and I hope it's not an unacceptable question/ I don't mean it to offend anyone.

So I'm a devout Catholic. I converted to Catholicism when I was 13 (From Agnostic/Nondenominational) and have gone to Church practically every Sunday since. Anyways I recently moved into my new home across from a somewhat peculiar family who calls themselves nondenominational 'but the most real church is the Mennonites' . Whatever.

The first sign of oddness was on Halloween, when instead of doing what most people who don't celebrate the holiday do and turn of their porch light, they gave out little booklets to all the kids that essentially stated they were going to hell for celebrating the holiday.

The second odd thing (Our kids go to the same class/school) when I picked up my child from school, they came up to me and complained, all my kids have necklaces that have the cross and their patron saints, I usually tell them to tuck it under their shirt, but the kid is 5 years old and sometimes just doesn't care. They said that they didn't want their child exposed to such 'blasphemy'. I essentially said I'd tell him to keep it under his shirt, but it's the real world and he's gonna have to get used to it, as my child loves his necklace.

Now today, after putting up my statue of Mary in my yard, the father came to my door just totally furious, demanding I tare it down immediately. I told him that I wouldn't, as Mary is special to me and it's my property. Now they put up a sign in their yard that says "These people are going to hell." with an arrow pointing to my house.

I honestly don't care about the sign. I just think it's odd. When I looked up Mennonites I read that they are supposed to be peaceful pacifists, and this most certainly isn't passive (Orthough, I doubt this person is a real Mennonite, I think they're just whacked).

What is it Mennonites believe (Or what this guy thinks Mennonites believe) that makes him so hostile towards Catholics? Specifically my statue of Mary? Regardless, she is Jesus's mother and if you follow Christ I don't get the hate for her?

Furthermore - I don't think it's very Christian to constantly threaten people with hell because you disagree with them.

Last edited by bingo1059; 11-18-2012 at 08:06 PM.. Reason: Add information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2012, 08:22 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,184,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingo1059 View Post
Hello,

This may be a bit peculiar, and I hope it's not an unacceptable question/ I don't mean it to offend anyone.

So I'm a devout Catholic. I converted to Catholicism when I was 13 (From Agnostic/Nondenominational) and have gone to Church practically every Sunday since. Anyways I recently moved into my new home across from a somewhat peculiar family who calls themselves nondenominational 'but the most real church is the Mennonites' . Whatever.

The first sign of oddness was on Halloween, when instead of doing what most people who don't celebrate the holiday do and turn of their porch light, they gave out little booklets to all the kids that essentially stated they were going to hell for celebrating the holiday.

The second odd thing (Our kids go to the same class/school) when I picked up my child from school, they came up to me and complained, all my kids have necklaces that have the cross and their patron saints, I usually tell them to tuck it under their shirt, but the kid is 5 years old and sometimes just doesn't care. They said that they didn't want their child exposed to such 'blasphemy'. I essentially said I'd tell him to keep it under his shirt, but it's the real world and he's gonna have to get used to it, as my child loves his necklace.

Now today, after putting up my statue of Mary in my yard, the father came to my door just totally furious, demanding I tare it down immediately. I told him that I wouldn't, as Mary is special to me and it's my property. Now they put up a sign in their yard that says "These people are going to hell." with an arrow pointing to my house.

I honestly don't care about the sign. I just think it's odd. When I looked up Mennonites I read that they are supposed to be peaceful pacifists, and this most certainly isn't passive (Orthough, I doubt this person is a real Mennonite, I think they're just whacked).

What is it Mennonites believe (Or what this guy thinks Mennonites believe) that makes him so hostile towards Catholics? Specifically my statue of Mary? Regardless, she is Jesus's mother and if you follow Christ I don't get the hate for her?

Furthermore - I don't think it's very Christian to constantly threaten people with hell because you disagree with them.
Mennonnites are named after a guy named Meno. I believe Simon was his first name. Similar to Lutherans being named after Martin Luther.

Mennonites are very separatist. Almost like Amish. There are actually 2 types of Mennonites....one is pretty liberal, the other is pretty conservative. Sounds like you found the conservative branch. I'm a pastor. I got turned down from a position in a church because the head of the search committee found out I have a tattoo. It's not the whole congregation that feels that way...just him and a few others.

If you want to be a good neighbor, you can try to alter your ways. I'd just try to be as nice as can be...but ultimately you probably won't make them happy.

Old 11-19-2012, 05:23 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,022,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Mennonnites are named after a guy named Meno. I believe Simon was his first name. Similar to Lutherans being named after Martin Luther.

Mennonites are very separatist. Almost like Amish. There are actually 2 types of Mennonites....one is pretty liberal, the other is pretty conservative. Sounds like you found the conservative branch. I'm a pastor. I got turned down from a position in a church because the head of the search committee found out I have a tattoo. It's not the whole congregation that feels that way...just him and a few others.

If you want to be a good neighbor, you can try to alter your ways. I'd just try to be as nice as can be...but ultimately you probably won't make them happy.
Actually, Mennonites and Amish were one...They were called the Ana-Baptists in Europe and that is were they split over a doctrinal disagreement...They were against infant baptism...And then they argued amongst themselves over the age at which one can be baptized...Age of accountability...

Old 11-19-2012, 05:55 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,910,758 times
Mennonites typically are very legalistic, works righteousness oriented people, wear the right clothes, women must wear dresses, that kind of stuff. Yes, they hate most things Catholic, liturgy, the creeds, the sacrament of the altar, clergy, etc. If they were my neighbor, I'd tell them to mind their own business, and ask them who put them in charge of running other peoples lives.

Old 11-19-2012, 08:49 AM

2,817 posts, read 3,460,417 times
i dont know any personally, but when i do see them around they seem to be very unhappy folks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity