Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 11:52 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,566,328 times

Advertisements

Scriptures (Mark 3:29)

King James Version
But he that shall blaspheme against the Holy Ghost hath never forgiveness, but is in danger of eternal damnation.

God's word Version
But whoever curses the Holy Spirit will never be forgiven. He is guilty of an everlasting sin."

International Standard
But whoever blasphemes against the Holy Spirit can never be forgiven, but is guilty of eternal sin."

New American Standard Version
but whoever blasphemes against the Holy Spirit never has forgiveness, but is guilty of an eternal sin "--

Concordant Literal New Testament
"yet whoever should be blaspheming against the "holy spirit" is having no pardon for the eon, but is liable to the eonian (God) penalty for the sin."

The CLNT version contradicts all other versions so I would like to get to the bottom of this. From other versions we see Jesus talking about the Holy Spirit in capital letters whereas CLNT has the "holy spirit" in small letters. Is the CLNT version talking about THE "Holy Spirit" or something else?, if it is talking about THE "Holy Spirit" then why would a person be held accountable to God the Father for blaspheming the Holy Spirit, should not the person be held accountable to the Holy Spirit? Does this version imply that the Holy Spirit is not equal to God the Father? Does the CLNT not believe in the Trinity (co-equal, co-eternal)?

Last edited by Fundamentalist; 05-26-2009 at 12:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2009, 12:20 PM

2,984 posts, read 3,347,507 times
oV d an blasfhmhsh eiV to pneuma to agion ouk ecei afesin eiV ton aiwna all enocoV estin aiwniou krisews

Old 05-26-2009, 01:10 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,969,381 times
Heck that's nothing. The King James calls Jesus a "thing"

Luk 1:35 And the angel answered and said unto her, The Holy Ghost shall come upon thee, and the power of the Highest shall overshadow thee: therefore also that holy thing which shall be born of thee shall be called the Son of God.

If the holy spirit is a "person" and God is a "person" did Jesus have two Fathers?

He was begotten by holy spirit and is called "Son of God."

Old 05-26-2009, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdy_56 View Post
oV d an blasfhmhsh eiV to pneuma to agion ouk ecei afesin eiV ton aiwna all enocoV estin aiwniou krisews
Very good Birdy.

I will highlight in red the words "holy spirit" in your Greek text which they did not capitalize either:

Old 05-26-2009, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post

Luk 1:35 And the angel answered and said unto her, The Holy Ghost shall come upon thee, and the power of the Highest shall overshadow thee: therefore also that holy thing which shall be born of thee shall be called the Son of God.

If the holy spirit is a "person" and God is a "person" did Jesus have two Fathers?

I am not arguing. I am asking. Can you please answer

I don't read King James. I read New American

Old 05-26-2009, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
I am not arguing. I am asking. Can you please answer

I don't read King James. I read New American
I'm not arguing either. How does the New American translate Luke 1:35?

Old 05-26-2009, 01:16 PM

783 posts, read 1,326,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
Scriptures (Mark 3:29)

King James Version
But he that shall blaspheme against the Holy Ghost hath never forgiveness, but is in danger of eternal damnation.

God's word Version
But whoever curses the Holy Spirit will never be forgiven. He is guilty of an everlasting sin."

International Standard
But whoever blasphemes against the Holy Spirit can never be forgiven, but is guilty of eternal sin."

New American Standard Version
but whoever blasphemes against the Holy Spirit never has forgiveness, but is guilty of an eternal sin "--

Concordant Literal New Testament
"yet whoever should be blaspheming against the "holy spirit" is having no pardon for the eon, but is liable to the eonian (God) penalty for the sin."

Does this version imply that the Holy Spirit is not equal to God the Father? Does the CLNT not believe in the Trinity (co-equal, co-eternal)?
Most likely so; of course this would coincide with the CLT, and those who ascribe to its false theology, of “for a period of time”.

This verse (Mark 3: 29) in context would make a good study.

Old 05-26-2009, 01:16 PM

14,882 posts, read 17,160,264 times

Amen. God bless.

Old 05-26-2009, 01:17 PM

14,882 posts, read 17,160,264 times
I tried to say Amen, God bless, and it came out like that!!

Old 05-26-2009, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post

Luke 1:35 (New American Standard Bible) The translation I read but the KJV verse you pointed out does not cast doubt on the Trinity

35The angel answered and said to her, "The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you; and for that reason the holy Child shall be called the Son of God.

Last edited by Fundamentalist; 05-26-2009 at 01:56 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity