Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 06:47 AM

1,439 posts, read 3,889,181 times

Advertisements

Oh Blue I understand that. I saw it in the theater and while it was very moving once was good for me. I have always admired Mary, but that movie made my heart ache for her in a way I never had before. I thought it was done well but I need the rest of the story too Blue
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2007, 07:21 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,214,221 times
And it doesn't bother you that someone made a lot of money making this picture? It was designed, not to spread the Word of God, but to make MONEY. And the more the better.

Not only Mel Gibson, but all the others that were paid a nice salary for writing, etc.?

Old 10-29-2007, 08:38 AM

2,136 posts, read 4,794,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
And it doesn't bother you that someone made a lot of money making this picture? It was designed, not to spread the Word of God, but to make MONEY. And the more the better.

Not only Mel Gibson, but all the others that were paid a nice salary for writing, etc.?
What about Charleton Heston and The Ten Commandments?

I have nothing bad to say about the movie, no matter who made how much. I think that is the closest that we (IMHO) will ever get to understanding/feeling the pain that Christ had to endure or what Mary must have felt or how this event must have torn at God. ('God sacrificed his son...so what?')!!!!!

In fact, if there is anything more graphic, I don't want to see it! That is as close as I ever want to understand!

IMHO!

Old 10-29-2007, 08:39 AM

1,250 posts, read 3,505,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post

This does not bother me in the least. It is just the way the world works. Besides, even if these people all made a huge amount of money off of it, we don't know the motivation of their hearts. Maybe it was money. But in the end, it doesn't matter because God can use it to spread His Word. In fact, I've heard testimonies that verify this. So the fact that someone made money off of it is irrelevant to me. Lives have been changed and that's all that matters.

Old 10-29-2007, 08:45 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,754,948 times
I bunch of adults at our church got together to go see the movie..I made the mistake of getting a huge buttered popcorn..(I was hungry, and I voluntered to drive the bus, so I had to get there earlier straight from work) and I took three or four bites, thats it, It was just so graphic, and to think that Christ really went thru all that, the emotions..I just couldnt eat.

I guess things dont matter to me that do matter to some people, I guess I look at things differently, because money is the last thing I thought about while watching or reflecting on the film.

Old 10-29-2007, 08:51 AM

3,695 posts, read 11,386,205 times
What you do to the least of these, you do also to me.

Don't forget that human beings are being tortured around the world even today, and the ones doing the torturing aren't always foreigners or non-Christians.

What happened to Christ is on all of our heads. What we continue to do to Christ today is on our heads as well.

Old 10-29-2007, 08:52 AM

1,574 posts, read 4,760,845 times
[quote=Padgett2;1857082]And it doesn't bother you that someone made a lot of money making this picture? [quote]

No. It did not even cross my mind. These people are doing their jobs. If they glorify God in the process, well, that's a good thing.

Having said that, I'm not a big Mel Gibson fan just because of his comments and antics. To make a beautiful, powerful movie like that and then ruin your credibility was a tough one for me to swallow.
But I had the DVD for quite a while and mustered up the courage to watch it last Easter. I think every scene involving Mary made me cry. Watching it from a Mother's perspective is gut wrenching.

Old 10-29-2007, 09:10 AM

4,440 posts, read 9,080,726 times
It was hard to stomach at times. Watched it once and decided not to watch it anymore. Thought at times it was too graphic.

it was.. what it was..

Old 10-29-2007, 09:13 AM

3,927 posts, read 8,677,731 times
God works in so many ways, and His hand was all over this movie. What satan wishes for evil, God turns for good. The publicity before this movie was satans handiwork trying to dissuade people and divide people. Yet, God used this movie for His good and maybe it changed a lot of hearts for the people who were involved in the making and acting of this film. Yes, Gibson has stumbled and really put his self in a bind, but it could be that God is working on him and he is experiencing spiritual warfar. Instead of condemning him, we as Christians should be praying for his very soul. This is what we are commanded to do by Christ.

I'm sorry to be so blunt, but there is simply too much condemning going on in today's society. In order to change it, we have to search our hearts and get them pure and in line with Christ's teachings. IF we, as Christians cannot do the very thing asked of us, how do people who are not Christian perceive us? Why would they want to be a Christian and join the bickering and back biting that we seem to be so good at?

Let's put a positive focus back into our lives and put Jesus first again. This movie was made from impossible odds, film backers would not put money into this, so he used his own money. Negative publicity tried to divide the Jews from Christians. So much of satans hand tried to stop this movie, yet God, in His truth, made it happen and the vessel He used was Mel Gibson. Let us take this very touching movie and realize that it is changing lives all around the world. Let us pray for Mel Gibson, asking God to soften his heart.

aiangel....stepping off soapbox now....

Old 10-29-2007, 09:23 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,547,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aiangel_writer View Post
God works in so many ways, and His hand was all over this movie. What satan wishes for evil, God turns for good. The publicity before this movie was satans handiwork trying to dissuade people and divide people. Yet, God used this movie for His good and maybe it changed a lot of hearts for the people who were involved in the making and acting of this film. Yes, Gibson has stumbled and really put his self in a bind, but it could be that God is working on him and he is experiencing spiritual warfar. Instead of condemning him, we as Christians should be praying for his very soul. This is what we are commanded to do by Christ.

I'm sorry to be so blunt, but there is simply too much condemning going on in today's society. In order to change it, we have to search our hearts and get them pure and in line with Christ's teachings. IF we, as Christians cannot do the very thing asked of us, how do people who are not Christian perceive us? Why would they want to be a Christian and join the bickering and back biting that we seem to be so good at?

Let's put a positive focus back into our lives and put Jesus first again. This movie was made from impossible odds, film backers would not put money into this, so he used his own money. Negative publicity tried to divide the Jews from Christians. So much of satans hand tried to stop this movie, yet God, in His truth, made it happen and the vessel He used was Mel Gibson. Let us take this very touching movie and realize that it is changing lives all around the world. Let us pray for Mel Gibson, asking God to soften his heart.

aiangel....stepping off soapbox now....
Aiangel once again with love, passion and wisdom puts everything in line with God..Thank you, my dear sister and friend
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity