Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 09:54 AM

30,383 posts, read 52,001,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiangel_writer View Post
Let's put a positive focus back into our lives and put Jesus first again. This movie was made from impossible odds, film backers would not put money into this, so he used his own money. Negative publicity tried to divide the Jews from Christians. So much of satans hand tried to stop this movie, yet God, in His truth, made it happen and the vessel He used was Mel Gibson. Let us take this very touching movie and realize that it is changing lives all around the world. Let us pray for Mel Gibson, asking God to soften his heart.

aiangel....stepping off soapbox now....
Sorry, but it wasn't negative publicity that divided Mel & the Jews! It was his comments about us causing all the wars and such... you know, that pesky little drunken rampage, which brought his true feelings to the surface? Before that incident, I couldn't have cared less about this movie or it's message - since it was just a movie, after all. Sorry to get off-topic, but I want to clear that up, before any of you believe it was the movie that caused a riff. But hey, if you all enjoyed it, I certainly wouldn't try to take that away from anyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2007, 10:02 AM

3,927 posts, read 8,673,921 times
Yes, giz, I remember his drunken rampage and his remarks. I still feel if we as Christians do not forgive and pray for others, we are not carrying out Christs work.

And, I want to say that I am not saying all this in a confrontational way, but in a very loving way for us all to examine our hearts, as we all can find ourselves lacking.

Old 10-29-2007, 10:46 AM

54,498 posts, read 33,886,278 times
I watched the movie in the theater in March of 2004, and I have the DVD. It is definitely a masterpiece because Gibson wanted it to be as authentic as possible, as all of the actors spoke in the languages that were spoken around the time of Jesus' crucifiction, Aramaic and Latin. I also have the Ten Commandments (1956) and The Bible (1967) wth George C. Scott, who played Abraham, and everyone spoke English, and that's what gives the Passion its very unique quality. Jim Caveizel and all of the other actors learned their lines in the respective language that was spoken by the characters they portrayed.

Yes, many people made some money on it, and so what? Compared to the money that was made on the majority of movies Hollywood produced in the past, the amount of money the Passion generated was nothing. At least it carried a message to the world to let them know how much God loves us.

I do watch the DVD about 3 times a year and the most gut-wrenching moment is when the Romans were pounding the nails in Jesus' feet and he lifted his head to the Father and said (in Aramaic)
"Forgive them Father, they know not what they do!" - That right there tells it all about Jesus.

Blue - I also thought the same thing about the resurrection, and my Christian friend I saw the movie with said he thinks there will be a sequel to the movie.

Last edited by Magnum Mike; 10-29-2007 at 10:55 AM..

Old 10-29-2007, 06:40 PM

1,130 posts, read 2,239,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
Aiangel once again with love, passion and wisdom puts everything in line with God..Thank you, my dear sister and friend
amen thats why her name is Ai angel

Old 10-29-2007, 06:54 PM

8 posts, read 163,869 times
I really agree with you. It seems like the more you witness something like that the more desensitized you get to it. It is like your heart starts to build a wall subconciously with out you even trying because you do not like experiencing that type of paine.

Old 10-29-2007, 07:03 PM

2,886 posts, read 8,287,658 times
Quote:
God works in so many ways, and His hand was all over this movie. What satan wishes for evil, God turns for good. The publicity before this movie was satans handiwork trying to dissuade people and divide people. Yet, God used this movie for His good and maybe it changed a lot of hearts for the people who were involved in the making and acting of this film. Yes, Gibson has stumbled and really put his self in a bind, but it could be that God is working on him and he is experiencing spiritual warfar.
Quote:
Instead of condemning him, we as Christians should be praying for his very soul. This is what we are commanded to do by Christ.

I'm sorry to be so blunt, but there is simply too much condemning going on in today's society. In order to change it, we have to search our hearts and get them pure and in line with Christ's teachings. IF we, as Christians cannot do the very thing asked of us, how do people who are not Christian perceive us? Why would they want to be a Christian and join the bickering and back biting that we seem to be so good at?

Let's put a positive focus back into our lives and put Jesus first again.
This movie was made from impossible odds, film backers would not put money into this, so he used his own money. Negative publicity tried to divide the Jews from Christians. So much of satans hand tried to stop this movie, yet God, in His truth, made it happen and the vessel He used was Mel Gibson. Let us take this very touching movie and realize that it is changing lives all around the world. Let us pray for Mel Gibson, asking God to soften his heart.

aiangel....stepping off soapbox now....
Stepping on it"
Yes we as the body of Christ collectively, sometimes tend to not accentuate the positive and eliminate the negatives; I guess that's carnal self, that Paul spoke about; the flesh holds very evil wicked thing. We must be renewed in our minds every second to be able to see the good in things. If we indeed humble ourselves; pray; turn from our wicked ways; Then He will hear from heaven forgive our sins and heal our land. Don't you think our land could use some healing right about now? But nooooooooooo... we're too busy at tearing each other to shreds for the least mistake; instead of praying; until we change i don't forsee things getting any better.
....getting down from the soapbox now"......Next!

Last edited by yhwhshalomjr; 10-29-2007 at 07:13 PM..

Old 10-29-2007, 07:05 PM

Oh and by the way;
The Passion of the Christ was an awesome movie that have changed the hearts and lives of many. To God be the glory...

Old 10-29-2007, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Yes, giz, I remember his drunken rampage and his remarks. I still feel if we as Christians do not forgive and pray for others, we are not carrying out Christs work.

Quote:
And, I want to say that I am not saying all this in a confrontational way, but in a very loving way for us all to examine our hearts, as we all can find ourselves lacking.
And, I want to say that I am not saying all this in a confrontational way, but in a very loving way for us all to examine our hearts, as we all can find ourselves lacking. [/quote]
Thanks for your post aiangel_writer
And if and when the "us" you're referring to will examine our hearts; Us know who we are. you can't examine a heart that has turned to stone.. prayer alone is the answer.

Old 10-29-2007, 08:34 PM

3,927 posts, read 8,673,921 times
I examine myself each day and yes, I find myself lacking in so many areas. Sometimes, I am quite embarrassed to know that Jesus has witnessed me at my worst and I am ashamed at myself for some of the things that I say and do.

How great my Savior is to forgive me, and to continue to love me no matter how low I can fall. I am so not worthy of wiping His feet with the finest silk. I am nothing. Yet, He picks me up and comforts me. How Great Thou Art indeed! Praise Him till eternity.

Old 10-30-2007, 02:12 AM

30,383 posts, read 52,001,327 times
Quote:

I understand, and can forgive but won't forget... honestly, I don't care what Mel does in his future career, but I'm just personally not going to support him. Would you give your hard-earned money to someone who openly hated Christians?

Anyway, I'm glad you found inspiration in the movie, and won't deny that he's a great director & actor (I used to be a big fan). But I'll respectfully decline seeing it... didn't want to even before the drunken incident, mostly because of the gore and "heaviness." I go to the movies for enjoyment, not to feel nauseous and depressed - LOL. I haven't even seen "Schindler's List" or "Munich" for the same reasons, though I do plan to at some point. And maybe one day I'll catch Passion on TV, and see if I can tolerate it... if that happens, I'll be sure to let you know what I think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity