Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 05:22 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,981,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Works are the evidence of a Spirit-filled life, not the road to salvation itself. It's an important distinction.
Indeed, but neither is "belief" intellectual acknowledgement, it is a commitment unlike the "belief" of the demons who "believe and tremble."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2013, 05:32 PM

37,347 posts, read 28,428,376 times
Quote:
Works are the evidence of a Spirit-filled life, not the road to salvation itself. It's an important distinction.
19 Jesus entered Jericho and was passing through. 2 A man was there by the name of Zacchaeus; he was a chief tax collector and was wealthy. 3 He wanted to see who Jesus was, but because he was short he could not see over the crowd. 4 So he ran ahead and climbed a sycamore-fig tree to see him, since Jesus was coming that way.

5 When Jesus reached the spot, he looked up and said to him, “Zacchaeus, come down immediately. I must stay at your house today.” 6 So he came down at once and welcomed him gladly.

7 All the people saw this and began to mutter, “He has gone to be the guest of a sinner.”

8 But Zacchaeus stood up and said to the Lord, “Look, Lord! Here and now I give half of my possessions to the poor............................ and if I have cheated anybody out of anything, I will pay back four times the amount.”

9 Jesus said to him, “Today salvation has come to this house, because this man, too, is a son of Abraham. 10 For the Son of Man came to seek and to save the lost.”.

Scripture says "Now is the day of Salvation".

While you think Salvation is about going to heaven instead of hell, you'll find you will always knock good works and question the motive of them that do them.

Old 04-18-2013, 08:27 PM

20,475 posts, read 12,872,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Indeed, but neither is "belief" intellectual acknowledgement, it is a commitment unlike the "belief" of the demons who "believe and tremble."
Agreed. James 2

Old 04-18-2013, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post

While you think Salvation is about going to heaven instead of hell,
It is, in part (the best part).

John 14

2 In My Father’s house are many dwelling places; if it were not so, I would have told you; for I go to prepare a place for you. 3 If I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself, that where I am, there you may be also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
you'll find you will always knock good works and question the motive of them that do them.
Nonsense. Good works are the result of being "born again", evidenced by your quoting the story of Zachaeus. See also Eph. 2:8-10.

Old 04-18-2013, 08:44 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,129,803 times
Quote:

Nonsense. Good works are the result of being "born again", evidenced by your quoting the story of Zachaeus. See also Eph. 2:8-10.
Completely untrue. Many, many, many non-Christians, from Jews to Hindus to agnostics to atheists, do good works every single day. They certainly aren't "born again."

Old 04-18-2013, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Completely untrue. Many, many, many non-Christians, from Jews to Hindus to agnostics to atheists, do good works every single day. They certainly aren't "born again."
On the day of judgement, will that be enough to save them? Can we be good enough to please God, without God?

Old 04-18-2013, 11:17 PM

Quote:
On the day of judgement, will that be enough to save them? Can we be good enough to please God, without God?
The comment was:

Quote:
Good works are the result of being "born again", evidenced by your quoting the story of Zachaeus.
I refuted that comment, with examples.

Old 04-18-2013, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Also, if God already knows everything, there is no way I can disappoint him. It boggles my mind that people just don't grasp this. And further to that: if God already knows everything, including the future, eventual judgment is moot. I've already been judged in that case, and so have you.

Old 04-19-2013, 03:28 AM

Quote:

John 14

2 In My Father’s house are many dwelling places; if it were not so, I would have told you; for I go to prepare a place for you. 3 If I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself, that where I am, there you may be also.

So Zachaeus was born again before Jesus died on the cross ?. I didn't know bible believers believed that. You're going around with your eyes closed if you do not see good works being done by all people's of the world, with no motive (including a free ticket heaven) than wanting to, being inspired to or simply because they know it is the right thing to do. Christians who claim to be born again do not own the right of good works.

Old 04-19-2013, 03:30 AM

Quote:
You see Jimmie you cannot help but show that you believe salvation is all about avoiding hell to go to heaven.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity