Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 08:30 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,229,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
That is another good reason not to go to church - because most of them are keen on making tons of unnecessary "busy work" for the people, as if people do not already have enough things to do as it is. I consider it an added stress that churches try to put on people, frankly. I do not need a church stealing my time from me. I can serve God without playing church.
Actually, I cannot imagine a sentiment further removed from the spirit of our faith.

First, both Christ and Paul discuss how important it is to participate a community in faith, to support one another in our journey. I'm pretty certain that sitting at home and not participating at all would have been anathema to them. Christ, after all, went to temple, despite his issues with the Jewish leadership of the time. And Paul was tirelessly working to establish churches across the eastern Mediterranean. Are you saying that you're better than either one of them?

Second of all, one does not have to participate in every single activity that a church has. Nor should one. At the same time, whether it's teaching, reaching out to others, providing for the poor, or whatever else, there should be something that you do indeed do. For if you aren't doing any of those things, how exactly are you serving God?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2013, 02:42 PM

5,965 posts, read 7,030,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Actually, I cannot imagine a sentiment further removed from the spirit of our faith.

First, both Christ and Paul discuss how important it is to participate a community in faith, to support one another in our journey. I'm pretty certain that sitting at home and not participating at all would have been anathema to them. Christ, after all, went to temple, despite his issues with the Jewish leadership of the time. And Paul was tirelessly working to establish churches across the eastern Mediterranean. Are you saying that you're better than either one of them?

Second of all, one does not have to participate in every single activity that a church has. Nor should one. At the same time, whether it's teaching, reaching out to others, providing for the poor, or whatever else, there should be something that you do indeed do. For if you aren't doing any of those things, how exactly are you serving God?
I am doing those things you mentioned... just not in an "organized", man ordered way. I know many "churchy" people disapprove, but that's okay. When God says "go", I go. When God says "stay" I stay. If God wants me to join a traditional organized church, he'll let me know - he can speak to me personally about things.

Old 04-15-2013, 02:46 PM

5,965 posts, read 7,030,177 times
Quote:

Quote:
Sorry. You have no one but yourself to blame for this. Is the word 'No' in your vocabulary?

As in, "No, I really don't have time to bake three dozen cookies"? Or, "No, I really am a little stretched thin this month. So I won't be able to watch toddlers during church"?

Instead, because you apparently lack the willpower to not affix your name to every single sign-up sheet, you have to blame the church. That's just a lack of maturity on your part. Even clergy will tell people that there's such a thing as volunteering too much.

I've encountered people like you, people whose over-the-top volunteering is really an act of egotism. Somehow, they have it in their head that if they don't participate in everything that goes on, it will be a disaster for the church. And when they work themselves to the point of burnout, suddenly it's the church's fault. In fact, the self-congratulation just oozes out of your OP. It is the lament of a martyr who wants to broadcast how much she's suffering.

Trust me. The roof won't cave in if you let some opportunities for service go by the wayside. Someone else will step up and do whatever job needs to be done. In fact, there will probably be some gratitude if you stepped aside. For if you are really doing all that stuff, it means that you are likely not doing anything well. And it's far preferable that you do one or two things really well than do twenty things badly.

As far as just church shopping is concerned, that's just ludicrous. You'll wind up in the same pattern of self-aggrandizing behavior masquerading as being helpful--no matter where you go.
I don't think she is looking to place blame on anyone. Nor should you be. I have found that churches will always ask you to do a lot of unnecessary things and try to organize your whole life for you IF you let them. I DO know how to say NO. And for that, I get disapproval from certain of my peers. Well, of course you can't please everyone!

Old 04-15-2013, 09:36 PM

8,280 posts, read 8,686,584 times
Northmar and Central Christian are near you. I know people at both and they seem to like them.

Old 04-17-2013, 05:31 AM

24,153 posts, read 32,574,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
Northmar and Central Christian are near you. I know people at both and they seem to like them.
I am going to visit both of them. Thanks, a practical suggestion is relevant here. Dissecting and further, twisting my motives; are not useful to the content and questions expressed and implied in this thread.

Old 04-17-2013, 06:00 PM

745 posts, read 1,650,885 times
There are no good churches.
All of them are indoctrination centers practicing mind control.
NEVER join anything. When you do you lose your own personal power.
You do not need a church to follow the god of your heart.

Old 04-18-2013, 09:55 AM

88,702 posts, read 85,080,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhZone View Post
There are no good churches.
All of them are indoctrination centers practicing mind control.
NEVER join anything. When you do you lose your own personal power.
You do not need a church to follow the god of your heart.
It is nice when you do find a good church of people with whom you can connect. And for those of us who practice the rituals of bread and wine, that mystical feeling of communion with the others after receiving the Eucharist is not something that can be duplicated when one is worshipping alone.

I've been in churches, too, where I felt completely alone. In those cases, it was better to be alone.

I would not do well in a big mega-church.

Old 04-18-2013, 10:29 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,139,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I was in a very "busy" church for three years and I feel burned out.

While I'm tired of constantly baking, making banners, volunteering at nurseries, serving on church counsel, decorating, cleaning up, painting faces, preparing for parties and church events and I need time to heal, I also miss being in fellowship with other believers.

Recently, I met a woman who had a similar experience while her husband was an assistant pastor at a medium sized church. Her feeling was to do what I had said in an earlier post, was to "get lost in a megachurch, listen to music, sing and worship - and heal.

Meeting this woman when I did confirmed that I am "not the only one". I've decided to visit churches until I find the one that feels right to me.

I am not putting denominational strictures on where I attend. I am visiting some that are in the denomination that I was raised in, and others that are not. I'm really trying to get a feel of different church traditions or styles of worship.

So far, I have visited two. There are good things about both. But I am not sure yet. I have about 20 on my list.

I am wondering if anyone else has ever been in this situation, and if so, how long did you give yourself to find a church home?

Reasonably, I'd say that six months would be a good time frame. It will give me a chance to visit all of the churches that look interesting to me, and to get a feel for which ones seem to have be operating under the guidance of the Holy Spirit.

I am seeking a place where Christianity is practiced, not Churchianty.

Please pray for me as I embark on this journey. Thank you.
Sheena, a church should feed your spirit. If it doesn't, it's not for you. Relax, and allow God to guide you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity