Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 01:55 PM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,729,494 times

Advertisements

It goes both ways, I think it all boils down to intent.

If you're casually talking and have a minor concern about a sermon and want to discuss it with a close friend, I don't think that's wrong (as long as there's no character assassination going on). My family and I regularly discuss the morning's sermon over Sunday dinner.

However, I can't think of any circumstance that warrants me going public with such disdain for my pastor. If it ever got to the point where I had an inclination to that, I'd quietly leave the church.

I once attended a church that put me in some uncomfortable circumstances (which I won't go into here). I even came across a blog that confirmed that this experience was not unique to me. Even then, I did my best to leave the church as quietly as possible (I actually did a transition out, to make it seamless as I was rather involved and wanted to get replacements-- it concluded with a letter to my pastor). To this day, if anyone asks me why I left, I just say "it was time for me to move on." Sure, I could divulge on some dirt on the church and the people there, but what would that say about me as a person?

Shoot, my parents attended this megachurch before it was popular and they have some rather MAJOR dirt on the senior pastor there. But, they set the example for me by not bad mouthing him or the church-- even over a decade later after we left. In fact, my mother still prays for the church.

All that said, I've been to churches where the congregants live in fear of saying anything that might slightly contradict the pastor (be it their sermon, theology, philosophy, etc.). That is just as wrong-- you should be able to voice CONCERNS (not criticisms) in a constructive way without fear of repercussions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2013, 01:57 PM

65 posts, read 76,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuliaRav View Post
I'm new here and new to Christianity.

I accepted the lord as my savior three months ago and I love going to church and Bible study and learning more about my faith.

But, there's something that makes me uncomfortable. Sometimes I'll overhear people criticizing our pastor's sermons. And I'm getting a sense that it's normal for Christians to bad-mouth their pastors.

For instance, my brother sent me links to some Christian blogs so I could be inspired to focus on God when I'm on the Internet instead of just hanging out on Facebook. Today, he sent me a link to this one:
Sunshine Mary | An anti-feminist woman's thoughts on Christianity, Culture, and Family.. He said it's a new blog by a Christian lady with a huge following.

I clicked on it and today's post was a rant about what her pastor had preached last Sunday. She even transcribed his message and critiqued it verse by verse. Plus, she put a link to the church website so people could read what he put in the church bulletin.

The pastor had preached about women needing to submit (i'm still trying to get used it that concept) and she thought he didn't take a strong stand on the issue. She entitled the post "The cowardly Pastor" and put a photo of the cowardly lion from the Wizard of Oz.

This just seems rude to me. Does the Bible say this kind of behavior is wrong? Why do people think it's ok to criticize a pastor behind his back? It's hypocrites like this that kept me from wanting to be a Christian for so long.

I think the question " Is it acceptable for Christians to Bad mouth pastors? " reveals a much deeper misunderstanding in the christian religion today; that pastors/leaders are a special class of believers.It shows how the clergy/laity system is so entrenched in this religious system just as clamor for power and authority over others is in the world system.

Jesus emphasized that we are all brothers/sisters and are to call no man father/master/teacher/rabbi or leader.We are expected to be mutually submitted to one another.There is no senior child and junior child of God.

The pastors and all religious leaders should stop thinking of themselves above other children of God, instead they should be servants, not 'servant leaders' because that is a creation of man but servants the way Jesus taught us.

If we are to answer the original question appropriately perhaps the questioner should rephrase it to ' should followers of Christ bad mouth each other?' The answer would be straight forward for anyone who is led by the spirit of Christ-A big NO.

Old 04-22-2013, 02:25 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,956,852 times
^Good catch, Musa. No "rep" though......to soon. =-(

Old 04-22-2013, 02:35 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,256,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
^Good catch, Musa. No "rep" though......to soon. =-(
I got it for 'ya.

With pleasure. It was a great post.

Old 04-22-2013, 04:07 PM

281 posts, read 307,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musa O View Post
I think the question " Is it acceptable for Christians to Bad mouth pastors? " reveals a much deeper misunderstanding in the christian religion today; that pastors/leaders are a special class of believers.It shows how the clergy/laity system is so entrenched in this religious system just as clamor for power and authority over others is in the world system.

Jesus emphasized that we are all brothers/sisters and are to call no man father/master/teacher/rabbi or leader.We are expected to be mutually submitted to one another.There is no senior child and junior child of God.

The pastors and all religious leaders should stop thinking of themselves above other children of God, instead they should be servants, not 'servant leaders' because that is a creation of man but servants the way Jesus taught us.

If we are to answer the original question appropriately perhaps the questioner should rephrase it to ' should followers of Christ bad mouth each other?' The answer would be straight forward for anyone who is led by the spirit of Christ-A big NO.
I agree in principle that we are all to submit to one another, yet there are scriptures that speak to our relationship to pastors/elders/teachers. But those people are not to 'lord it over' (1 Pet. 5:3) the flock of God that is in their care. We are also commanded to 'obey them that have rule over you, and submit to them.' (Heb. 13:17) Being a believer in the plenary verbal inspiration of the scriptures, I believe that those to are from God and not just man.

We are instructed to call no man father, because we all have one Father in heaven. And we are to call no man 'Rabbi', which means my master, because we have one master in heaven as well. We are not told to call no one teacher, leader, pastor, elder or deacon. All of these words are used to identify men of the church that lead (rule over), teach and care for the church. James warns against many of us becoming teachers (James 4:1, or masters by the KJV) because they have a greater accountability to God for the words they speak and a greater condemnation as well.

Blessings in Christ,

Matthew

Old 04-22-2013, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched.elect View Post
I agree in principle that we are all to submit to one another, yet there are scriptures that speak to our relationship to pastors/elders/teachers. But those people are not to 'lord it over' (1 Pet. 5:3) the flock of God that is in their care. We are also commanded to 'obey them that have rule over you, and submit to them.' (Heb. 13:17) Being a believer in the plenary verbal inspiration of the scriptures, I believe that those to are from God and not just man.

We are instructed to call no man father, because we all have one Father in heaven. And we are to call no man 'Rabbi', which means my master, because we have one master in heaven as well. We are not told to call no one teacher, leader, pastor, elder or deacon. All of these words are used to identify men of the church that lead (rule over), teach and care for the church. James warns against many of us becoming teachers (James 4:1, or masters by the KJV) because they have a greater accountability to God for the words they speak and a greater condemnation as well.

Blessings in Christ,

Matthew
We have talked elsewhere about "submit to one another" and it should be apparent that it is talking about respecting their opinions and the fact that they are concerned for your well-being. The "submit" used in this passage is the same and the "obey" is a translation of authoritarians; it is more like "be persuaded by." Claiming that calling someone "pastor" is different from calling one "rabbi" is a lawyer's niggling, the principle is the same: pastor or teacher or deacon is a job description, not a title, and "lead" is the appropriate term.

Old 04-22-2013, 05:28 PM

63,989 posts, read 40,270,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched.elect View Post

Blessings in Christ,

Matthew
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
We have talked elsewhere about "submit to one another" and it should be apparent that it is talking about respecting their opinions and the fact that they are concerned for your well-being. The "submit" used in this passage is the same and the "obey" is a translation of authoritarians; it is more like "be persuaded by." Claiming that calling someone "pastor" is different from calling one "rabbi" is a lawyer's niggling, the principle is the same: pastor or teacher or deacon is a job description, not a title, and "lead" is the appropriate term.
You are correct, nateswift . . . but you will never get the self-appointed "rulers" of the church (whatever title they give themselves) to agree and relinquish their sense of superiority and power over the flock. They are particularly fond of the self-congratulatory status of having been "gifted" by God to their status.Human nature is very strong and very corrupting.

Old 04-22-2013, 07:26 PM

You may be right Reverend Mystic.

Old 04-22-2013, 08:00 PM

889 posts, read 827,366 times
I hope ALL people take the time compliment their pastors when they do a GOOD job if they criticize them even once. Equal opportunity praising I always say.

Old 04-23-2013, 06:46 AM

2,817 posts, read 3,469,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musa O View Post

very good post. we, society, have allowed this power position to grow. how many times have i heard a person state, " im gonna ask the pastor to pray for me" the sad thing is that a pastor will actually pray for them ( which is not bad), but then fails to tell them that they do not need the pastor ( that is bad). So the people become subject to "leaders".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity