Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 09:33 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,033,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched.elect View Post
The first covenant sign was the rainbow, and it was a unilateral covenant to no destroy the earth by flood again. But He will destroy it and the heavens by fire (Gen. 9:8-17, 2 Pt. 3:10-12).

The next covenant that God made was with Abraham (then Abram) and is in Gen. 13:14-17, and given again in more depth in Genesis 15. This Covenant with Abraham was down in a vision (Gen. 15:1) and continues through the end of the chapter. The covenant is made in three parts: an heir (vv. 1-6), land (vv. 5-8,16-21) and a people/nation (vv. 13-16). The Covenant was ratified by an offering (vvb. 9-13, 17) that God consumed himself while Abram was in a deep sleep and while still in a vision no less. The Covenant Sign is no less than His Name (Heb. 5:13-14).

The Covenant sign of Circumcision, which is for inclusion into the national blessing as Abraham's descendent, is not given until Genesis 17 circumcision. This covenant that God makes with Abraham is conditional (Gen. 17:14), whoever is not circumcised is cut off from the national blessings.

The Covenant sign of the Sabbath isn't given until Exodus 31, even though the ten commandments were given in Exodus 20. We know this was given specifically to Israel because of how it begins.
I am the Lord thy God, which have brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the land of bondage. - Gen. 20:2
The rest of the Commandments continue to deal specifically with them, not the Gentile nations. Thus, when we come to Gen. 31:12-17, we see that the weekly Sabbath was given as a covenant sign to Israel.
Wherefore the children of Israel shall keep the sabbath, to observe the sabbath throughout their generations for a perpetual covenant. It is a sign between me and the children of Israel for ever: for in six days days the LORD made heaven and earth, and on the seventh day he rested, and was refreshed.
Just as the Command to keep the sabbath holy was given to the children of Israel, so it is a perpetual sign of the Covenant with them. It is neither a command to the Gentile nations, nor is it a perpetual covenant sign to them. The keeping of the weekly sabbath is a national command and a national blessing to Israel, they are to observe it for as long as they are a nation.

The new testament church (who is not Israel) and especially the Gentiles within her, is nowhere commanded to observe the weekly sabbath. If they do, it is not out of obligation to the Law, but because the do it out of faith.

Blessings in Christ,

Matthew
Now explain the Olive Trees...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2013, 04:44 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,591,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DauntlessDan View Post
Work Mon-Fri. Fri at sundown is start of Sabbath. Saturday at sundown is end of Sabbath. It is a day of rest and reflection. Sunday is FIRST day of week. Sabbath existed BEFORE there was an Israel so, NO, it is NOT just the Jewish Sabbath. Have not read anything, anywhere in the bible, christian or jewish, transferring the sabbath from seventh day of week to first day of week.
Then I guess you haven't read much.

Catechism of the Catholic Church - PART 3 SECTION 2 CHAPTER 1 ARTICLE 3

Early Christians always met on the First day (Sunday) and never kept the sabbath!

Old 05-03-2013, 12:13 AM

Hmmm, two sites with opinion...So, what does the Bible say?...

Old 05-03-2013, 01:10 AM

376 posts, read 419,675 times
Does the papacy acknowledge changing the Sabbath?
It does.
The Catechismus Romanus was commanded by the Council of Trent and published by the Vatican Press, by order of Pope Pius V, in 1566. This catechism for priests says: "It pleased the church of God, that the religious celebration of the Sabbath day should be transferred to 'the Lord's day. Sunday.'" Catechism of the Council of Trent (Donovan's translation, 1867), part 3, chap. 4, p. 345. The same in slightly different wording, is in the McHugh and Callan translation (1937 ed.), p. 402.

Who Changed Sabbath Saturday To Sunday?

--------------------------
The other sites are to lenghty to quote from. Read and decide

Sabbath to Sunday: What Happened to the Sabbath Under Constantine
Exactly Which Pope Changed The Sabbath To Sunday?
Historians tell us how sunday sacredness began....

Old 05-03-2013, 08:47 PM

6,370 posts, read 7,031,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Six days you shall work and the seventh is a day of rest. Got no issue with the concept.

Ex 20:8-9 NIV -

But nearly all of you Sabbath keepers go to work on Monday, work five days and call day six the Sabbath. I don't get it. (Sunday being day seven in the scheme of things).

Me? I work a four day week-Tuesday to Friday. That would make the seventh day for me Monday.

You guys (Sabbath Keepers) got an explanation? Is the five day work week a plan of Satan. Is having Monday as the first workday of the week a plan of Satan?

Is my four day work week satanic, since it makes Monday as the Seventh Day, per Exodus 20:8-9?
The sabbath day is the 7th day of the week in Jewish circles which falls Friday at sunset to Saturday at sunset.. The Lord was raised on the 8th day of the week (Sunday) which we therefore know as the first day of the week. But the significance is that the Lord's raising on Sunday shows that there is a NEW World awaiting after the 7 day reign (when He comes to usher in a refrain from our works of evil). This is signified by the 8th day circumsion of male childen on the 8th day. Because it is the 8th day (a day being as a thousand years and a thousand years as a day) to show this.

This is a bit prophetic but some of us have been given this much.

Hope this helps.

Old 05-04-2013, 05:08 AM

1 posts, read 1,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
The Sabbath under the old covenant was a day, under the new covenant is a Person.

Amen!
28) Come unto Me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you REST.
29) Take my yoke upon you and learn of Me; for I Am meek and lowly, in heart: and ye shall find REST unto your souls.
30) For My yoke is easy, and My burden is light.
Matthew 11:28-30
Jesus tells us to take His REST upon us here, and if we read the next 8 verses in Matthew 12:1-8 we see that Christ calls Himself the Lord of the Sabbath (Matthew 12:8)

For we are now to enter into His REST; that is the finished work of Jesus Christ whereby we are separated/made Holy (John 19:30; Hebrews 10:14). For the writer of Hebrews mention this in these words:
9) There remaineth therefore a REST to the people of God.
10) For he that is entered into His REST, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from His.
Hebrews 4:9-10
By entering into the finished work of Christ, His Finished Work has become my Sabbath/Rest (see also Isaiah 28:12). Just as God rested from His work on the 7th day (Genesis 2:3), so I rest in Christ Jesus. And although I see no problem with trying to honor God by putting a day aside to rest (for our bodies can always use rest), Spiritually are true Rest is in Jesus.

As for following the other 9 of the 10 Commandments, it shows the work of the Holy Spirit in us thru love (Romans 5:5; I Peter 1:22). For Jesus tells us that the whole law hangs on loving God and our neighbor (Matthew 22:37-40). And Paul states to follow those commandments show our love (Romans 13:8-10).
Galatians 5:6
For in Jesus Christ neither circumcision availeth any thing nor uncircumcision; but faith which worketh by love.

Old 05-04-2013, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duggar19fan View Post
Amen!
28) Come unto Me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you REST.
29) Take my yoke upon you and learn of Me; for I Am meek and lowly, in heart: and ye shall find REST unto your souls.
30) For My yoke is easy, and My burden is light.
Matthew 11:28-30
Jesus tells us to take His REST upon us here, and if we read the next 8 verses in Matthew 12:1-8 we see that Christ calls Himself the Lord of the Sabbath (Matthew 12:8)
Has anyone stopped to wonder exactly what His burden was?...

Quote:
By entering into the finished work of Christ, His Finished Work has become my Sabbath/Rest (see also Isaiah 28:12). Just as God rested from His work on the 7th day (Genesis 2:3), so I rest in Christ Jesus. And although I see no problem with trying to honor God by putting a day aside to rest (for our bodies can always use rest), Spiritually are true Rest is in Jesus.
True on the bold above...For the Sabbath was made for man and not man for the Sabbath...Back in the eighties as a young christian I heard Terry Law speak at the AOG church I attended in Burlington, NJ and he was involved in missionary journeys to the then Soviet Union and the underground churches there and he was told by those people that since the USSR did not believe in God that none of the rules applied so the government passed a ten day work week and it seemed to go well for a while but then society started to break down, violence was increasing at a steady rate, killings, etc., even the work animals were attacking each other and turning on their handlers...Basically proving that if we violate the Commandments of God, there will be consequences...Again, the Sabbath was made for man...

Quote:
As for following the other 9 of the 10 Commandments, it shows the work of the Holy Spirit in us thru love (Romans 5:5; I Peter 1:22). For Jesus tells us that the whole law hangs on loving God and our neighbor (Matthew 22:37-40). And Paul states to follow those commandments show our love (Romans 13:8-10).
Galatians 5:6
For in Jesus Christ neither circumcision availeth any thing nor uncircumcision; but faith which worketh by love.
There are more than Ten Commandments of God...

Old 05-04-2013, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trettep View Post
The sabbath day is the 7th day of the week in Jewish circles which falls Friday at sunset to Saturday at sunset.. The Lord was raised on the 8th day of the week (Sunday) which we therefore know as the first day of the week. But the significance is that the Lord's raising on Sunday shows that there is a NEW World awaiting after the 7 day reign (when He comes to usher in a refrain from our works of evil). This is signified by the 8th day circumsion of male childen on the 8th day. Because it is the 8th day (a day being as a thousand years and a thousand years as a day) to show this.

This is a bit prophetic but some of us have been given this much.

Hope this helps.
This is just assumption...

Old 05-04-2013, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Six days you shall work and the seventh is a day of rest. Got no issue with the concept.

Ex 20:8-9 NIV -

But nearly all of you Sabbath keepers go to work on Monday, work five days and call day six the Sabbath. I don't get it. (Sunday being day seven in the scheme of things).

Me? I work a four day week-Tuesday to Friday. That would make the seventh day for me Monday.

You guys (Sabbath Keepers) got an explanation? Is the five day work week a plan of Satan. Is having Monday as the first workday of the week a plan of Satan?

Is my four day work week satanic, since it makes Monday as the Seventh Day, per Exodus 20:8-9?
Something occured to me that if HaShem said six days shalt though labor but the seventh you shall rest, was it man that decided when that seventh day should be to keep an accounting?...I mean was it HaShem's intention that we were to take every seventh day and rest because of the way He made us?...That our bodies need this rest?...For it is said that the Sabbath was created for man, not man for the Sabbath...And He did not specifically Command Saturday, but merely a seventh day after six days of labor, because He knew that our bodies needed that seventh day to rest and recharge, but man got together and decided that Saturday should be the official day of rest...Example, I am an Aircraft Electrician, we modify military helicopters, one particular mod shows wires running from the nose to the avionics compartment, in that specific order according to the instruction manual, now someone got together and decided that this should be the was it is done in this particular order, however we, as electricians, have seen that it does not matter in what order the wires are installed, just that the end results are according to the end results in the manual...We are in no way violating the order of the manual, we are performing the task in the order we are able to do it considering there are others performing other tasks on the same aircraft and may be in the particular place that we need to be at the moment...So, as long as the end results are the end results of the manual, it does not matter what order we do it in unless we find a problem with the order then we modify our order...so, as long as one takes every seventh day off from labor and rests, does it matter when that seventh day is?..When did the levitical priests have there seventh day?...The Sabbath law did not apply to them, why?...Since a Sabbath day has been established, why are people so resistent to observing it?...The Sabbath day has been set in place for man, should it matter that Saturday was chosen?...Or is it because people are so afraid that if they observe the Sabbath Saturday that HaShem will view them as having Judaized themselves?...It is like HaShem said, "Work six days and rest on the seventh, I will leave the details up to you as a people to decide which day that will be."...So, the people got together and decided on a Saturday...Now Saturday has been put in place...Now everyone is singing off the same page...It does not matter if one observes Torah for this does not make one a Jew if one observes it outwardly, to be a Jew one must observe it inwardly...And if one observes it inwardly, then it will naturally show outwardly...We are to follow the example of Yeshua...Did Yeshua observe the Sabbath?...Yes, He did...Did Yeshua worship (respect) the one True God, the Father?...Yes, He did...Did Yeshua observe Torah throughout His earthly life?..Yes, He did...So, how are we to be different from Yeshua if we are to follow His example?...Our Faith is believing in what Yeshua said, if He said do as I do, and you believe that He has told you Truth but do not do what He has told you, can you really truthfully claim that you possess Faith in Him if you believe Him not regarding the way to walk in order to please HaShem?...So, If Yeshua observed the Sabbath, why do you resist doing the same?...Yeshua walk according to Torah and pleased HaShem thereby on the day of His baptism in the River Jordan HaShem bestowed His Spirit upon Him, making Yeshua the Messiah and since the Spirit of HaShem was in Him also manifested the word of HaShem within Him, it was on that day that the Word became flesh...It is like ordering all the parts that you need for a custom made motor cycle, you are over joyed when the package comes for you are looking into the future of the day when you have correctly put all the parts together and you are able to ride with the wind flowing through your hair...Finally the day comes, after strictly following all the instructions, which were not a burden because of the joy in your heart that one day all these labors will be put to rest, you have put the bike together, but wait, it still cannot be used for it's purpose, why?...There is no fuel in it, it won't go anywhere until you put that needed elements in the tank...
Yeshua was born, grew up into a man embracing the Torah which pleased HaShem, and HaShem said, "this day have I begotten thee", after Yeshua was baptized and received the Spirit of HaShem, in this HaShem had put the "gas" in Him to operate as the Messiah...The Messiah's purpose was to show people the Way to the Father and to teach the Truth and at the end of His days He inheirited the Kingdom of His Father and if we follow the path (example) that Yeshua set, then we become joint-heirs with Him...And can also be called Sons of God...why is it so hard to understand this?...

Old 05-04-2013, 08:34 AM

4,686 posts, read 6,139,412 times
Well said Richard

If the catholic church never changed the day of rest 1800yrs ago, we probably would still be keeping a Saturday Sabbath.

But at the same time scriptures says Jesus went to the synagogs on the Sabbath as it was his custom, not he taught there per the commandments. The bible always just says Sabbath, never Saturday and 1rst day of the week, not Sunday, so how can we know that Saturday, our current 7th day of the week is the Sabbath day from creation 6000+ years ago. The same argument can be made for Sunday too as to how do we know Sunday is truly the 1rst day of the week as well since we are just going off of our current calendar and there have been all sorts of calendars out since creation and back then they just told time with the sun, moon, and stars.

But for the just pick a day of rest argument, I have yet to see anyone say on Sunday or any one day they will do zero work, make no purchases and refrain from all pleasure to try an mimic the Sabbath day commands becuae it is their one day of rest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity