Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2013, 09:56 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,038,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
Well said Richard

If the catholic church never changed the day of rest 1800yrs ago, we probably would still be keeping a Saturday Sabbath.

But at the same time scriptures says Jesus went to the synagogs on the Sabbath as it was his custom, not he taught there per the commandments. The bible always just says Sabbath, never Saturday and 1rst day of the week, not Sunday, so how can we know that Saturday, our current 7th day of the week is the Sabbath day from creation 6000+ years ago. The same argument can be made for Sunday too as to how do we know Sunday is truly the 1rst day of the week as well since we are just going off of our current calendar and there have been all sorts of calendars out since creation and back then they just told time with the sun, moon, and stars.

But for the just pick a day of rest argument, I have yet to see anyone say on Sunday or any one day they will do zero work, make no purchases and refrain from all pleasure to try an mimic the Sabbath day commands becuae it is their one day of rest.
I was not until I began actually studying for myself that I began to question what I was taught...Believing that the one teaching me was teaching the Truth...But if what one says does not line up with Scripture or if what one says on a particular topic is contrived of ones own verbal interpolations but yet scripture says differently, then whom are you to believe?...There is a church in my area that is a Sabbath observant church, but once they were a Sunday observant church, I guess it dawned on someone that Yeshua and the Apostles kept using the term "Sabbath" throughout the New Testament...So the whole church got together to study the matter and did so for a year and came to the conclusion that nowhere in the NT was the Sabbath changed to a Saturday, and their thought was now that they knew the Truth that they could no longer observe Sunday but had to change to Saturday...They state that once one knows the Truth one has to change...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2013, 09:48 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,923,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
There is a church in my area that is a Sabbath observant church, but once they were a Sunday observant church, I guess it dawned on someone that Yeshua and the Apostles kept using the term "Sabbath" throughout the New Testament...So the whole church got together to study the matter and did so for a year and came to the conclusion that nowhere in the NT was the Sabbath changed to a Saturday, and their thought was now that they knew the Truth that they could no longer observe Sunday but had to change to Saturday...They state that once one knows the Truth one has to change...
So...... they, like so many people in this thread are only focusing on forms or rules and not on spirit. "Either ...Or......" often does not give you the right answer.

Old 05-05-2013, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
So...... they, like so many people in this thread are only focusing on forms or rules and not on spirit. "Either ...Or......" often does not give you the right answer.
Where ya goin' with this?...

Old 05-05-2013, 06:11 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,923,595 times
Quote:
Where ya goin' with this?...
Same place I've been. The writer of Hebrews explained very well what the spiritual perception of "Sabbath" is, and I have quoted it in this thread. Key word: "today."

Old 05-05-2013, 07:33 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,970,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Six days you shall work and the seventh is a day of rest. Got no issue with the concept.

Ex 20:8-9 NIV -

But nearly all of you Sabbath keepers go to work on Monday, work five days and call day six the Sabbath. I don't get it. (Sunday being day seven in the scheme of things).

Me? I work a four day week-Tuesday to Friday. That would make the seventh day for me Monday.

You guys (Sabbath Keepers) got an explanation? Is the five day work week a plan of Satan. Is having Monday as the first workday of the week a plan of Satan?

Is my four day work week satanic, since it makes Monday as the Seventh Day, per Exodus 20:8-9?
You know, for starters, I have a real problem believing that we actually even know how many seven-day periods have passed since "the beginning." It seems entirely logical to me that somewhere in between the day when God rested and when Moses received the commandment to keep the Sabbath Day holy there was a glitch or two in time-keeping and the days were off by one or two days at the most. To me, God doesn't so much care whether we keep a Saturday or a Sunday Sabbath. He just wants us to set one day a week aside to focus on things that will bring us closer to Him, one day to worship Him and leave our other interests behind. Yeah, people say, "Well, I keep every day holy." No they don't. You can be a good person seven days a week, but setting aside one day a week as different from the rest is what's important.

One more thought... A lot of countries (Germany, I'm sure of) print all calendars with Monday being the first day of the week. Nobody there thinks of Sunday as being the first day of the week. To them, it's the seventh day. So, I suppose that any Christian who goes to Church on Sundays in Germany is keeping the actual 7th day as a day of rest. As far as I'm concerned, that just goes to show how hung up we can get on the letter of the law, while completely disregarding the spirit of the law.

Old 05-05-2013, 07:38 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,836,946 times
Anyone who focuses on the Sabbath ... instead of on the Lord of the Sabbath; --- is focused on the Sabbath ... instead of the Lord of the Sabbath!

Old 05-06-2013, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
You know, for starters, I have a real problem believing that we actually even know how many seven-day periods have passed since "the beginning." It seems entirely logical to me that somewhere in between the day when God rested and when Moses received the commandment to keep the Sabbath Day holy there was a glitch or two in time-keeping and the days were off by one or two days at the most. To me, God doesn't so much care whether we keep a Saturday or a Sunday Sabbath. He just wants us to set one day a week aside to focus on things that will bring us closer to Him, one day to worship Him and leave our other interests behind. Yeah, people say, "Well, I keep every day holy." No they don't. You can be a good person seven days a week, but setting aside one day a week as different from the rest is what's important.

One more thought... A lot of countries (Germany, I'm sure of) print all calendars with Monday being the first day of the week. Nobody there thinks of Sunday as being the first day of the week. To them, it's the seventh day. So, I suppose that any Christian who goes to Church on Sundays in Germany is keeping the actual 7th day as a day of rest. As far as I'm concerned, that just goes to show how hung up we can get on the letter of the law, while completely disregarding the spirit of the law.

Where does it state that the Sabbath is for focusing on God?...

Old 05-06-2013, 05:58 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,970,289 times
Quote:
Where does it state that the Sabbath is for focusing on God?...
As far as I'm concerned, something which is said to be holy is focused on God. The scriptures don't need to be redundant in order to get their message across.

Old 05-06-2013, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
As far as I'm concerned, something which is said to be holy is focused on God. The scriptures don't need to be redundant in order to get their message across.
So we just assume?...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity