Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 11:42 AM

1,599 posts, read 3,135,730 times

Advertisements

Christian Indifference to Christian Suffering | FrontPage Magazine
We go about our work, finish the day and turn on our TV sets for the news, but we really never hear what is really going on in this world. Perhaps this is our indifference. Very sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2013, 12:22 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,206,891 times
Wow. There are some REAL untruths in that article.

Let's start with "....western feminists saying nothing about the plight of women under Islam". Feminists have LONG sought to bring the attention of women who are subjected to genital mutilation, rape, beatings and honor killings to citizens of this country. And they don't just talk about it. They go into communities and try to stop it.

I'll ignore the back-handed comments the author made about Islam. One more guy trying to lump all Muslims into a pot of hatred and violence. David Horowitz's website. Biased much? Let me answer that: you bet.

If the OP thinks Christians are ignoring other Christians it's because they're too busy reading these kinds of websites. Those horrid leftists and feminists Horowitz (and a LOT of Christians) hate so much are out there doing the heavy lifting of change. Sorry if the truth hurts but it's strong, powerful women (those feminists the right hates so much) that are going into places like Ghana to stop FGM.

There is also the usual rant about the leftists in Hollywood. I assume that's the constant complaint the right has about people like George Clooney who actually go into places like Darfur trying to bring attention and change to the horrors that are happening there. The author is right about one thing: too many Christians are sitting at home doing nothing. I suggest they find a Hollywood leftist and ask how to get things done.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 04-18-2013 at 12:40 PM..

Old 04-18-2013, 12:57 PM

1,599 posts, read 3,135,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post

Let's start with "....western feminists saying nothing about the plight of women under Islam". Feminists have LONG sought to bring the attention of women who are subjected to genital mutilation, rape, beatings and honor killings to citizens of this country. And they don't just talk about it. They go into communities and try to stop it.

I'll ignore the back-handed comments the author made about Islam. One more guy trying to lump all Muslims into a pot of hatred and violence. David Horowitz's website. Biased much? Let me answer that: you bet.

If the OP thinks Christians are ignoring other Christians it's because they're too busy reading these kinds of websites. Those horrid leftists and feminists Horowitz (and a LOT of Christians) hate so much are out there doing the heavy lifting of change. Sorry if the truth hurts but it's strong, powerful women (those feminists the right hates so much) that are going into places like Ghana to stop FGM.

There is also the usual rant about the leftists in Hollywood. I assume that's the constant complaint the right has about people like George Clooney who actually go into places like Darfur trying to bring attention and change to the horrors that are happening there. The author is right about one thing: too many Christians are sitting at home doing nothing. I suggest they find a Hollywood leftist and ask how to get things done.
After reading your responce and re-reading the article, I can't see much in the article that would cause you to respond the way you did. The article has some very valid points.

Old 04-18-2013, 12:59 PM

10,043 posts, read 4,978,080 times
Christians know they will be hated according to Matthew 10 v 22.

Christians also know Jesus' illustration of being a neighborly good Samaritan to help on a one-to-one basis as needed in widening out in showing godly love to another including a stranger.

Christians all over the Earth also do as commissioned by Jesus at Matthew 24 v 14 to proclaim the good news of God's kingdom on an international scale before the end comes of all badness on Earth.

Paul even appealed to Caesar [ legal channels ], but Paul did not try to operate or dictate the running of government.
There could very well be a lot going on behind the scenes that the world, so to speak, is not aware, but God's spirit is directing matters.
Both genuine 'wheat' and false 'weed/tares' Christians will be revealed.- Matthew 25 vs 31,32.

Old 04-18-2013, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinylly View Post
After reading your responce and re-reading the article, I can't see much in the article that would cause you to respond the way you did.
That doesn't surprise me.

Old 04-18-2013, 02:35 PM

45,613 posts, read 27,230,182 times
Ultimately - we need to follow Christ since He is the head.

He didn't fight back. He laid down his like for His sheep. What should we do?

Old 04-18-2013, 02:40 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,209,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post

Fact of the matter is, women are mistreated horribly under radical islam in the Middle East and this current regime (and I would argue past presidents as well) has shown no desire to tackle the issue.

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton certainly has not gone near the issue. We don't see NOW talking about it. Yes--they talk about female circumcision...but not a lot about daily mistreatment of women in general.

Old 04-18-2013, 03:04 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,641,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinylly View Post
Christian Indifference to Christian Suffering | FrontPage Magazine
We go about our work, finish the day and turn on our TV sets for the news, but we really never hear what is really going on in this world. Perhaps this is our indifference. Very sad.
We're the Spirit of Christ is, their is concern.

God certainly hears the cries of His children and they will be avenged.

The best thing Christians do for others if we can not physically help is pray.

Old 04-18-2013, 03:32 PM

9,693 posts, read 10,030,708 times
To Jesus as long as Christians are not covetous, or greedy, or selfish or hateful unforgiving toward others...also Christians should do what Jesus calls them to do because If Believers go off and do things for Jesus without Jesus then there could be crocodiles in the spirit out there which will bring discouragement for believers ..Sow what Jesus does through you will bring reward in Heaven ...

Old 04-18-2013, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Fact of the matter is, women are mistreated horribly under radical islam
Radical - insert religion here - is usually fundamentalism.

Fundamentalism has given society Warren Jeffs and pastors that stand outside funerals with signs that say, "God Hates Moderator cut: deleted and the Olympic Park Bombing.

While the extreme right starts singles out Islam and talks about horrible treatment of human beings there's plenty of hate and mistreatment to go around. Feel free to check www.SPLCenter.org for American hate groups, many of them Christian, tracked by the Southern Poverty Law Center.

Should we support Christians in harm's way? Of Course. Should we shine a light on torture and rape and neglect? Of course. Should we do everything possible to stop it? Absolutely! But pointing a finger at one religion is nothing but a display of ignorance and prejudice.

Last edited by june 7th; 04-21-2013 at 02:10 PM.. Reason: Despite it's unquestionable reality, had to do the "mod cut" due to "inappropriate language" per TOS. Sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity