Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 03:33 PM

867 posts, read 1,587,757 times

Advertisements

I have always wanted to learn more about the bible, and a Jehovah Witness offered to study the bible with me. They have a study guide that they use along with the bible.

I've been studying with this lady, who is very nice and sweet, but it's getting to the point where she wants me to commit to being a JW, which I don't want.

The other awkward thing is that I work with her and think of her as a work friend.

Now I am feeling uncomfortable and want to stop but I don't know how. I am too nice and don't want to hurt her feelings but I am over this bible study thing since it's now turning into a conversion situation.

What can I say to get out of this without hurting her feelings?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2013, 03:36 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,217,998 times
Tell her you are no longer comfortable with the situation as it is because it is crossing over into work and you do not like being pressured to become a Jehovah Witness.

There are Bible study guides online and in your local book store that you can use to guide you in your study of the Bible.

Old 04-19-2013, 03:39 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,914,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckygirl15 View Post

What can I say to get out of this without hurting her feelings?
You can't.

Old 04-19-2013, 03:42 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,347,403 times
Speak the truth in love.

Old 04-19-2013, 03:44 PM

58 posts, read 57,425 times
Jehovah's witness; do not read the bible per say; They are skillfully taught what the bible means and says per the "Watchtower" magazine that is full of blasphemy.

NO ONE; has ever sat down to read the bible and come up with that (terrible) doctrine or interpretation by themselves; they must be taught!

If you press these people; they will freely admit that Jesus is NOT who HE claims to be; Jesus is Michael the Archangel.

That is blasphemy.

Walter Martin wrote an excellent book decades ago - Kingdom of the Cults.

I suggest you purchase a copy. If you can't afford one. I will gladly purchase it and send it to you!

When they come to my house; I welcome them with open arms and I play STUPID. I will let them begin; then I ask them one question. They always get this simple question WRONG! Who created everything? They always say God did. SORRY - that is not what the bible TEACHES!

THEN I take the time to skillfully use God's words and they RUN and warn others - don't go to that house!!

Jesus Christ is all over the FIRST CHAPTER OF GENESIS. iN FACT: He is the main theme of every book of the bible.

John 1:2 ALL THINGS were made by the (power) of the WORD. And without the Word was nothing made that was made. John 1:3

Now read Genesis chapter one and LOOK!

Last edited by RaDarO; 04-19-2013 at 03:52 PM..

Old 04-19-2013, 03:46 PM

281 posts, read 306,180 times
I'm curious, are you a believer, or do you just want to study the bible, and why?

I'm not sure how you are going to get out of this situation without stepping on her toes at least a little. The best thing you can do is just be honest with her; let her know that you have become uncomfortable with what you feel has become pressure to convert.

BTW - JW's hold to a number of heretical beliefs, not the least of which is that Jesus is Jehovah God and that he is co-equal and co-eternal with the Father. If you truly believe that, then that's all you need to tell her if she insist on continuing after tell her you're no longer comfortable.

Blessings in Christ,

Matthew

Old 04-19-2013, 04:08 PM

867 posts, read 1,587,757 times
I wanted to study the bible b/c I think it's an important book. I am a believer but I don't go to church except once in a while.

I just wanted to learn more, and while I've learned some things, and some things about JW, it's over now. Now it's becoming too much "This is what we believe and here is where the bible says it is so". I take it as their interpretation, which is fine, but not what I'm looking for.

I know she will probably be mad, but not sure how I can avoid that. I think they must be used to rejection so maybe she will take it better I think.

Old 04-19-2013, 04:10 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,217,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckygirl15 View Post
I wanted to study the bible b/c I think it's an important book. I am a believer but I don't go to church except once in a while.

I just wanted to learn more, and while I've learned some things, and some things about JW, it's over now. Now it's becoming too much "This is what we believe and here is where the bible says it is so". I take it as their interpretation, which is fine, but not what I'm looking for.

I know she will probably be mad, but not sure how I can avoid that. I think they must be used to rejection so maybe she will take it better I think.

A wee bit of advice for the future: Keep politics, Religion and romance OUT of the office, it is always best that way.

Old 04-19-2013, 04:27 PM

58 posts, read 57,425 times
When they first arrived @ my house - I had never heard of these people; I was aghast at what they were trying to teach me. Jesus returned to earth in 1914. THAT IS A DIRECT CONTRADICTION OF THE BIBLE. When Jesus returns - EVERY EYE SHALL SEE HIM. That is not what that means they told me. It means everyone's spiritual eye. Now I know your nutz I said. My father doesn't even believe in God. So much for his spiritual eye.

That is when I decided to read this book by myself and never ever let anyone tell me what it means. I set out diligently to read each book (New Testament) 5 times in a row before moving on to the next book. I did that all through the New Testament and then started all over again - reading each book 5 times. After reading the bible - for decades; I finally have a great understanding of all that is presented in simple terms that any child can understand.
SORRY; but I am a slow reader and slow in learning. It takes me time to absorb all the many details. Some people can read something once and have it all memorized. I am not that gifted. I've had to read it hundreds of times for all to sink in. Then I began studying Hebrew & Greek. WoWoW! I've read the entire New Testament in Greek and it was so powerful to understand what REALLY HAPPENED.

For instance: Matthew 7:7 says; Ask and you shall receive. Seek and you shall find. Knock and the door shall be opened.

Wow - three simple sentences;

A
sk...
Seek...
Knock...

but in the original Greek; It is much more powerful.
It says;
Keep on asking and you will keep on receiving.
Keep on seeking and you will keep on finding.
Keep on knocking and the door will be continually opened for you.

Study to show thy self approved. Jesus said; My people perish for lack of knowledge.

Jesus also said (between the lines) My people can have anything they want. But instead they keep on saying what they have.

Old 04-19-2013, 05:09 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,825,976 times
Your instincts are correct - you are being pressured in a direction that your own spirit tells you is uncomfortable and wrong!

The JW's are often highly indoctrinated to their 'green bible' --- which flagrantly contradicts the Bible in terms of the deity of Christ .... and numerous other areas. For example, where almost every translation of John 1:1 declares: "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God," the JW's render this "a god" or lagas, instead of Logos. The distinction, as in so many other areas, is that it robs Jesus of His Godhead.

There are many other clear heresies in their teaching, but, even if you are an exceptional Bible student, they are 'schooled' to refute many Biblical principles. That is why scripture clearly says:

2 Jn. 1:9-11 - 9 Whoever transgresses[a] and does not abide in the doctrine of Christ does not have God. He who abides in the doctrine of Christ has both the Father and the Son. 10 If anyone comes to you and does not bring this doctrine, do not receive him into your house nor greet him; 11 for he who greets him shares in his evil deeds.

The JW's do not abide in the doctrine of Christ ... even though they will claim a 'belief in Christ' (as one of many 'sons of God'). For one thing, notice that she is encouraging you to become a JW, NOT a Christian or follower of Jesus Christ! --- Given your limited Bible knowledge, your best bet is simply to obey the Bible on this point ... and sever a relationship where you are depending on this woman to 'teach you the Bible.'

You do well to seek out God's Truth which is conveyed in His Word, the Bible. Just because someone has misled you does not mean you should turn from God and His Word! "Where else do you hope to find the Words of Life?"

Most Christians will be very willing to help you … without requiring another ‘book/guide’ to "reveal what the Bible really says." --- Read/Study the book of John or Romans for yourself ... and ask God to lead you into His truth. Your interest in the Bible clearly indicates that God is calling you to open your heart to Jesus Christ as your personal Lord and Savior ... not to human religions. He will not mislead or fail you.

Last edited by jghorton; 04-19-2013 at 05:27 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity