Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 05:38 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,917,131 times

Advertisements

Take it as a valuable learning experience. You are a believer who wants to know a little more than the basics you know. You have now seen one group with an agenda and can expect to see more any time you get into "doctrine" that is the result of interpreting meanings that are not clearly stated. I always advise that you keep in mind the "fruit of the spirit listed in Galatians 5:22-23. Don't be discouraged and do find a fellow seeker (outside the office) or group to share insights, but beware of anyone who gets upset about questioning what they teach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2013, 05:59 PM

33,227 posts, read 26,434,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckygirl15 View Post
I have always wanted to learn more about the bible, and a Jehovah Witness offered to study the bible with me. They have a study guide that they use along with the bible.

I've been studying with this lady, who is very nice and sweet, but it's getting to the point where she wants me to commit to being a JW, which I don't want.

The other awkward thing is that I work with her and think of her as a work friend.

Now I am feeling uncomfortable and want to stop but I don't know how. I am too nice and don't want to hurt her feelings but I am over this bible study thing since it's now turning into a conversion situation.

What can I say to get out of this without hurting her feelings?
Back in January you asked for advice on whether you should study with her. It seems that you decided to do so. Now you want advice on how to get out of the situation. //www.city-data.com/forum/chris...witnesses.html

Just be frank with her. Tell her you don't agree with the teachings of the Jehovah's Witnesses and that you will no longer be studying with her. The longer you wait, the harder it will be to get out of the situation gracefully. Stand up for yourself.

Old 04-19-2013, 07:37 PM

58 posts, read 57,429 times
John One One in the Greek is extremely powerful & UNDENIABLE -

I memorized it many decades ago;

First of all - A simple question - (rhetorical) - Where does your voice (word) reside? With(in)you! That was simple to understand and grasp & comprehend. A No-brainer it is called.

Now lets look At John 1:1

King Jimmy: In the beginning was The Word and The Word was with(in) The God and The Word was God.

JW's Twisted translation: In the beginning was the word and the word was with God and the word was a god.

Orignal Greek As John wrote it:

Ἐν ἀρχῇ ἦν ὁ λόγος, = In beginning was the word
καὶ ὁ λόγος ἦν πρὸς τὸν θεόν, = And the word was with the God
καὶ θεὸς ἦν ὁ λόγος. = AND GOD WAS THE WORD.

PHONETICALLY SPEAKING:
Nein arkay N Ho Logos
Kai Ho Logos, N pros Ton Theon
Kai Theos N Ho Logos.

Why would Jesus Christ say 7 times in this Gospel I Am (God)??
Twelve different people called HIM God. But the funniest verse in all of the bible is in the book of Hebrews chapter One.

God is speaking - He identifies Himself - What Does He call the son? ThY Throne Oh God is FOREVER.

God Himself is calling the Son - GOD!

Son of God.... Is just a "title" He is also the Lamb of God. Jesus Christ has 5 different names and he has 103 different titles.

Isaiah 9:6 For unto us - A Child is born (bethlehem) - A Son is given (The Cross of Golgotha) and His name shall be called: Wonderful, Counselor, The Prince of Peace, The Mighty God - The Everlasting Father.

FLEE from those people as fast as you can!!

Old 04-19-2013, 07:57 PM

9,007 posts, read 13,836,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaDarO View Post
Jehovah's witness; do not read the bible per say; They are skillfully taught what the bible means and says per the "Watchtower" magazine that is full of blasphemy.

NO ONE; has ever sat down to read the bible and come up with that (terrible) doctrine or interpretation by themselves; they must be taught!

If you press these people; they will freely admit that Jesus is NOT who HE claims to be; Jesus is Michael the Archangel.

That is blasphemy.

Walter Martin wrote an excellent book decades ago - Kingdom of the Cults.

I suggest you purchase a copy. If you can't afford one. I will gladly purchase it and send it to you!

When they come to my house; I welcome them with open arms and I play STUPID. I will let them begin; then I ask them one question. They always get this simple question WRONG! Who created everything? They always say God did. SORRY - that is not what the bible TEACHES!

THEN I take the time to skillfully use God's words and they RUN and warn others - don't go to that house!!

Jesus Christ is all over the FIRST CHAPTER OF GENESIS. iN FACT: He is the main theme of every book of the bible.

John 1:2 ALL THINGS were made by the (power) of the WORD. And without the Word was nothing made that was made. John 1:3

Now read Genesis chapter one and LOOK!
This doesn't make sense.....

Are you saying God didn't create everything?
According to Genesis,God created everything.

Who did create everything then??????

Old 04-19-2013, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
This doesn't make sense.....

Are you saying God didn't create everything?
According to Genesis,God created everything.

Who did create everything then??????
Jesus Christ Did. He said so; God said so;

Jesus is The Word of God. (Where is your word(s))??? If you could personify your words - that would be an extension of YOU.

John 1:14 - And the Word was made flesh and dwelt among us (Jesus Christ).

When God spoke the words the power of those words created eveyrthing (That is Jesus Christ) The Word of God.

What is so hard to understand?? Everytime God spoke - Jesus Christ"s (power) created everything.

In beginning was The Word and The word was with the God and God was the Word - The same was in the beginning with God - ALL THINGS WERE MADE BY HIM (WORD) WITHOUT HIM (WORD) NOTHING WAS MADE THAT WAS MADE.

All through the New Testament we read that Jesus Created EVERYTHING.

sO....When you read Genesis chapter one - and you come to the part where God says something (words) - It is Jesus Christ doing the work!!

I hope that helps.

Old 04-19-2013, 08:39 PM

867 posts, read 1,588,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Back in January you asked for advice on whether you should study with her. It seems that you decided to do so. Now you want advice on how to get out of the situation. //www.city-data.com/forum/chris...witnesses.html

Just be frank with her. Tell her you don't agree with the teachings of the Jehovah's Witnesses and that you will no longer be studying with her. The longer you wait, the harder it will be to get out of the situation gracefully. Stand up for yourself.
You are correct. I decided to study with her b/c I told her that I didn't want to convert, and she said she was ok with that. She also knows a lot about the bible.

I am glad that I went ahead and studied b/c my view of JW is actually much different than when I started. I am curious about religions - all kinds.

Witnesses are Christians and believers. They are good people who follow the bible according to their interpretation of it. This lady is very sweet and a really good person.

The problem is that we work together and now she is expecting this to be a weekly event. I dont' want to go down the road of having someone try to convert me.

I am afraid that this will hurt our friendship, but it must be done b/c I don't have time for this or want to make time for this teaching anymore.

I will have to stand up for myself and this is going to be uncomfortable.

Old 04-19-2013, 09:03 PM

Pray and give it over to the Lord - THANK HIM - and rejoice - BEFORE you ever see the results or answer; NOW WATCH how He does it for you!

I've been down this road too many times; RELAX & rejoice for you have found the TRUTH.

Expect God to do something and I promise you HE WILL NOT LET YOU DOWN.

Call On Me
!! Psalm 46

Old 04-19-2013, 09:28 PM

11,247 posts, read 11,020,697 times
[quote=luckygirl15;29208339]
Quote:
You are correct. I decided to study with her b/c I told her that I didn't want to convert, and she said she was ok with that.
Of course she was. That's how they creep into your life.

Quote:
She also knows a lot about the bible

Of course she does. Her primary function in life is to the JW church and trying to convert people to the JW religion. Most atheist know more about the Bible than the average Christian does.

Quote:
I am glad that I went ahead and studied b/c my view of JW is actually much different than when I started. I am curious about religions - all kinds.
Here's the problem. You're just there to learn. She's there to make you one of their flock. It is her only function. You both have different motives for your friendship.

Quote:
Witnesses are Christians and believers. They are good people who follow the bible according to their interpretation of it. This lady is very sweet and a really good person

You seem to be hung up on her "kindness". I'm sure she really is a really nice person. Her attitude towards you after you lay it all down to her will determine if that holds true.

Quote:
The problem is that we work together and now she is expecting this to be a weekly event. I dont' want to go down the road of having someone try to convert me.
If you don't put a stop to it now, it will become a four time a week event real soon. You need to understand, the church is EVERYTHING to them. There really is nothing else that matters to them. Do you understand that they banish apostates even if they are family members in many cases?

Quote:
I am afraid that this will hurt our friendship, but it must be done b/c I don't have time for this or want to make time for this teaching anymore.
Then you better do something quick, because I promise you she already has big plans for you.

Quote:
I will have to stand up for myself and this is going to be uncomfortable.
Nowhere near as much if you let it ride a while longer.

Old 04-19-2013, 09:36 PM

This (situation) can ONLY BE SOLVED - through much PRAYER!

Old 04-19-2013, 09:51 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,285,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaDarO View Post
Pray and give it over to the Lord - THANK HIM - and rejoice - BEFORE you ever see the results or answer; NOW WATCH how He does it for you!

I've been down this road too many times; RELAX & rejoice for you have found the TRUTH.

Expect God to do something and I promise you HE WILL NOT LET YOU DOWN.

Call On Me
!! Psalm 46
I like this post. I constantly have to remind myself to be still and that I am God.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity