Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 03:55 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,225,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
That's all I was looking for. An answer.

It simply seems strange to me that you are so reluctant to answer questions. It's been my experience that most people, especially clergy, freely answer questions about their faith when asked.
I did answer the question. Did you read it? I thought I was pretty clear in it. I was using something known as "rhetoric". The obvious answer was "yes". If we are going to hold to a common faith, we will agree on the essentials.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/29478641-post19.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2013, 04:05 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,240,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Did you read it?
Yep.

Old 05-08-2013, 04:53 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,947,173 times
Quote:
I did answer the question. Did you read it? I thought I was pretty clear in it. I was using something known as "rhetoric". The obvious answer was "yes". If we are going to hold to a common faith, we will agree on the essentials.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/29478641-post19.html
It seems to me that the question remains as to what you consider "essential" and why. Paul said he stuck to "Christ and Him crucified," but there does seem to be a little more to it than that. The question then is why, for instance is "trinity" essential? Examining dogma and doctrines in the light of living the faith seems to me to be what it is about. When did elements of what we believe become more important than how our faith is demonstrated in how we live? What hyas hap0pened to "the followers of "The Way?"

Old 05-08-2013, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
It seems to me that the question remains as to what you consider "essential" and why. Paul said he stuck to "Christ and Him crucified," but there does seem to be a little more to it than that. The question then is why, for instance is "trinity" essential? Examining dogma and doctrines in the light of living the faith seems to me to be what it is about. When did elements of what we believe become more important than how our faith is demonstrated in how we live? What hyas hap0pened to "the followers of "The Way?"
You ask why is the doctrine of the Trinity important? It's important because if Christ wasn't divine, then he was not perfect, and he could not be a perfect sacrifice for us. Without that, we are still dead in our sins.

Read the 1st 2 chapters of Colossians. He went into some pretty deep stuff on the deity of Christ. Read the first few chapters of Ephesians--he talked about some deep theology there, too. Stuff like election. Read Romans (chapters 8 and 9) and the rest. He didn't just preach about loving Jesus. He actually talked doctrine.

Old 05-08-2013, 06:11 PM

28,119 posts, read 30,041,478 times
Quote:
You ask why is the doctrine of the Trinity important? It's important because if Christ wasn't divine, then he was not perfect, and he could not be a perfect sacrifice for us. Without that, we are still dead in our sins.
Just a heads up, Vizio: It is not necessary to buy into some 4th century creed in order to believe that Jesus Christ is divine or that the Father and the Son are "one." I believe in God the Eternal Father, and in His Son Jesus Christ, and in the Holy Ghost. I believe that Jesus Christ took upon Himself my sins and paid the demanded price in order that I might be reconciled to our Father in Heaven. I believe that He was the only individual to have ever lived who, being perfect, was capable of doing so. I do not accept the Nicene Creed as inspired or as an accurate description of who God is, but I am most certainly a Christian.

Old 05-08-2013, 06:26 PM

249 posts, read 313,020 times
Evening Devotion By: Charles H. Spurgeon. Goes well with what is being discussed:

If we would rightly “acquaint ourselves with God, and be at peace,” we must know him as he has revealed himself, not only in the unity of his essence and subsistence, but also in the plurality of his persons. God said, “Let us make man in our own image”-let not man be content until he knows something of the “us” from whom his being was derived. Endeavour to know the Father; bury your head in his bosom in deep repentance, and confess that you are not worthy to be called his son; receive the kiss of his love; let the ring which is the token of his eternal faithfulness be on your finger; sit at his table and let your heart make merry in his grace. Then press forward and seek to know much of the Son of God who is the brightness of his Father’s glory, and yet in unspeakable condescension of grace became man for our sakes; know him in the singular complexity of his nature: eternal God, and yet suffering, finite man; follow him as he walks the waters with the tread of deity, and as he sits upon the well in the weariness of humanity. Be not satisfied unless you know much of Jesus Christ as your Friend, your Brother, your Husband, your all. Forget not the Holy Spirit; endeavour to obtain a clear view of his nature and character, his attributes, and his works. Behold that Spirit of the Lord, who first of all moved upon chaos, and brought forth order; who now visits the chaos of your soul, and creates the order of holiness. Behold him as the Lord and giver of spiritual life, the Illuminator, the Instructor, the Comforter, and the Sanctifier. Behold him as, like holy unction, he descends upon the head of Jesus, and then afterwards rests upon you who are as the skirts of his garments. Such an intelligent, scriptural, and experimental belief in the Trinity in Unity is yours if you truly know God; and such knowledge brings peace indeed.

Old 05-08-2013, 10:02 PM

28,119 posts, read 30,041,478 times
Quote:
If we are going to hold to a common faith, we will agree on the essentials.
Who gets to say what the "essentials" are?

Old 05-08-2013, 10:25 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,410,443 times
Quote:
You ask why is the doctrine of the Trinity important?

It's important because if Christ wasn't divine, then he was not perfect, and he could not be a perfect sacrifice for us. Without that, we are still dead in our sins.
The penal substitution theory follows that of believing in a Trinity.
You cannot have one without the other.

Those who believe they are Christian through scapegoating theologies.
Should seriously consider their beliefs as non-Christian.

(You sound much like that of a youth pastor?)

Matthew 20:18-19
Behold, we are going up to Jerusalem; and the Son of Man will be delivered to the chief priests and scribes.
They will condemn Him to death, handing Him over to the Gentiles to mock and scourge and crucify Him:

And on the third day, He will be raised up.

Let me ask you, again. In this scenario, where does the Father fit in?
Is he behind it, inspiring them to murder him?

Or is it that, He Will Raise in up again?

Old 05-08-2013, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
The penal substitution theory follows that of believing in a Trinity.
You cannot have one without the other.

Those who believe they are Christian through scapegoating theologies.
Should seriously consider their beliefs as non-Christian.

(You sound much like that of a youth pastor?)

Matthew 20:18-19
Behold, we are going up to Jerusalem; and the Son of Man will be delivered to the chief priests and scribes.
They will condemn Him to death, handing Him over to the Gentiles to mock and scourge and crucify Him:

And on the third day, He will be raised up.

Let me ask you, again. In this scenario, where does the Father fit in?
Is he behind it, inspiring them to murder him?

Or is it that, He Will Raise in up again?
Isaiah 53:10 The Father was the one scourging him on the cross.
But the LORD was pleased
To crush Him, putting Him to grief;
If He would render Himself as a guilt offering,
He will see His offspring,
He will prolong His days,
And the good pleasure of the LORD will prosper in His hand.

And yes--he then raised him up.

Old 05-08-2013, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Who gets to say what the "essentials" are?
Those were largely defined almost 2 millenia ago. Historically, the Christian faith has held to a core set of doctrine--including the deity of Christ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity