Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 01:57 PM

28,122 posts, read 30,046,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
The reason I say that is because generally I don't have pseudo-Christian cultists trying to pass of their religions as Christian to me and others around me.
Really? I don't see any of those around here, but I have run into several of those holier-than-thou-Christian-in-name-only types.

Last edited by Katzpur; 05-09-2013 at 02:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2013, 02:07 PM

231 posts, read 327,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Really? I don't see any of those around here, but I have run into a few holier-than-thou-Christians-in-name-only types.
You just contradicted yourself.

Old 05-09-2013, 02:44 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,948,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckd83 View Post
Not necessarily. I don't think that just because they hold to reformed theology we should call them pseudo Christian cultists. It is not that erroneous theology that disqualifies, for any of them might still display God's love in their lives. Draw your circles to include the exclusionists.

Old 05-09-2013, 02:50 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,226,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Not necessarily. I don't think that just because they hold to reformed theology we should call them pseudo Christian cultists. It is not that erroneous theology that disqualifies, for any of them might still display God's love in their lives. Draw your circles to include the exclusionists.
I was the one that referred to "pseudo Christian cultists". I personally hold to reformed theology, so obviously that wasn't what I meant. What I meant was those that deny key doctrines, such as the Trinity, the sacrificial atonement, salvation by faith alone through grace alone, etc.

There are many fringe groups on this board that get lumped together as "Christian", but deny clear Biblical teaching on those things.

Old 05-09-2013, 03:00 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,948,774 times
Yes, and reformed theology ought not to be considered cultist any more than the others minority opinions.

Old 05-09-2013, 03:09 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,244,160 times
Quote:
Yes, and reformed theology ought not to be considered cultist any more than the others minority opinions.
Cult was a really interesting word to choose.

Old 05-09-2013, 03:19 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,226,971 times
Quote:
I don't see where anyone is doing that.

Old 05-09-2013, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckd83 View Post
How so? I'm not the one who goes around telling everybody whose beliefs differ from mine in any way that they're not "real" Christians, but just "pseuo-Christian cultists."

I'm reminded of Luke 9:49-50. When Jesus Christ's Apostles thought they'd impress Him by how exclusionary they were, saying, "Master, we saw one casting out devils in thy name; and we forbad him, because he followeth not with us," Jesus responded by saying, "Forbid him not: for he that is not against us is for us."

Mark 9:38-41 gives another account of the same event. In Mark's account, John told Christ, "Master, we saw one casting out devils in thy name, and he followeth not us: and we forbad him, because he followeth not us." And to this boast, the Savior responded, "Forbid him not: for there is no man which shall do a miracle in my name, that can lightly speak evil of me. For he that is not against us is on our part. For whosoever shall give you a cup of water to drink in my name, because ye belong to Christ, verily I say unto you, he shall not lose his reward."

He certainly could have said, "Good for you! Those pseudo-Christian cultists need to be put in their place."

Last edited by Katzpur; 05-09-2013 at 05:04 PM..

Old 05-09-2013, 05:09 PM

Quote:
I was the one that referred to "pseudo Christian cultists". I personally hold to reformed theology, so obviously that wasn't what I meant. What I meant was those that deny key doctrines, such as the Trinity, the sacrificial atonement, salvation by faith alone through grace alone, etc.
Yeah, and one of your "key doctrines" (salvation by faith alone) is denied by the majority of the world's Christians. You know, those "pseudo-Christian cults" known as Roman Catholicism and Eastern Orthodoxy" believe that in addition to faith, obedience to God's commandments is also essential. Actually, a number of Protestant denominations deny the doctrine of "sola fide," too.

Quote:
There are many fringe groups on this board that get lumped together as "Christian", but deny clear Biblical teaching on those things.
The only thing they deny is your own personal interpretation of "clear Biblical teaching."

Old 05-09-2013, 08:45 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,416,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
The penal substitution theory follows that of believing in a Trinity.
You cannot have one without the other.

Those who believe they are Christian through scapegoating theologies.
Should seriously consider their beliefs as non-Christian.

(You sound much like that of a youth pastor?)

Matthew 20:18-19
Behold, we are going up to Jerusalem; and the Son of Man will be delivered to the chief priests and scribes.
They will condemn Him to death, handing Him over to the Gentiles to mock and scourge and crucify Him:

And on the third day, He will be raised up.

Let me ask you, again. In this scenario, where does the Father fit in?
Is he behind it, inspiring them to murder him?

Or is it that, He Will Raise in up again?
Quote:
Isaiah 53:10 The Father was the one scourging him on the cross.
But the LORD was pleased
To crush Him, putting Him to grief;
If He would render Himself as a guilt offering,
He will see His offspring,
He will prolong His days,
And the good pleasure of the LORD will prosper in His hand.

And yes--he then raised him up.
Suffering and death is not limited to one individual.
But a loving father, would never scourge his innocent child for the guilty.
Neither would he, torment an innocent child for that of his wicked one.

"God does not need a whipping boy; and you will die in your sin."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity