Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 03:25 PM

6,387 posts, read 6,371,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I wish I was authorized to forgive sins, but I am not. Only Christ can do that.
That's what the preachers tell you. But Jesus said this: "Forgive, and you will be forgiven." and this: "Whatsoever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven."

The priests back then also said, "who can forgive sins, except God??" And in order to prove to them that men can forgive sins, he healed the withered hand.

We might not have faith to heal withered hands, but we have power to forgive.

blessings,
brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2013, 03:31 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,308,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
My point is, Jesus did not bring a new message from the Father.
God is love,always has been, man had know idea the depth of it or able to understand this, even though it was right there in the scripture . So to man, it most definitely was and remains a new message to this day.

Old 06-06-2013, 03:43 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,659,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
That's what the preachers tell you. But Jesus said this: "Forgive, and you will be forgiven." and this: "Whatsoever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven."

The priests back then also said, "who can forgive sins, except God??" And in order to prove to them that men can forgive sins, he healed the withered hand.

I am very forgiving. What is it that you feel I have not forgiven you, and what has it got to do with the discussion? The issue which you do not seem to understand is that I can, and will, forgive you for what you have done to me, but I cannot forgive you what you have done to others, and against God. Jesus has that authority, not me.

Would it be meaningful if you walked through a prison and told everyone "I forgive you", although none of them has done anything to you, or to anyone you know? Their crimes are against other people, and against God. In the other hand, if a criminal shot you and left you paralyzed, and you told him that you forgive him, that would be very meaningful. Does this make sense to you?

Old 06-06-2013, 03:52 PM

20,442 posts, read 12,798,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
God is love,always has been, man had know idea the depth of it or able to understand this, even though it was right there in the scripture . So to man, it most definitely was and remains a new message to this day.
Then we agree.

Old 06-06-2013, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Either it was there, or it's new, it can't be both. I am glad to see you are beginning to admit the OT authors were not complete savages after all

Old 06-06-2013, 05:17 PM

63,822 posts, read 40,118,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Thanks for posting that Finn. The people who make remarks about the Old Testament being the work of 'primitive savages' are in serious error.
There is no debate, Mike . . . it is not even remotely questionable. They were savage primitives full of erroneous beliefs and superstitions about God. There was no counterpart of our modern schooling or science so illiteracy and ignorance abounded. Some few were literate and the scriptures do contain inspirations from God . . . so not everything in them is wrong. That is why they must be properly divided and read with the "mind of Christ."

Old 06-06-2013, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Either it was there, or it's new, it can't be both. I am glad to see you are beginning to admit the OT authors were not complete savages after all
So all the savagery you read in the Old Testament is a demonstration of their knowing and understanding of love your enemies. Gotcha

Why do you think Jesus said " But I say unto" ?.

Stop being in denial that even though they knew scripture, they were totally oblivious and lacked understanding of them and were so far removed from them they did not know that the law and the prophets hung upon these two commandments......... "'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

Woe to you experts in the law, because you have taken away the key to knowledge. You yourselves have not entered, and you have hindered those who were entering

Knowledge of the scriptures had been lost and replaced by the doctrines and traditions of men,so when Jesus taught love your enemies it was a total revolutionary concept to the hearer.

Old 06-06-2013, 05:48 PM

Quote:
If you believe the Old Testament scriptures teach that God is love and that God teaches us to love our enemies and then in the next breath say that the God who is love and teaches us to love our enemies, commanded all the savagery and atrocities in the Old Testament, then you need to take a long hard look at what you believe.

Old 06-06-2013, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post

blessings,
brian
I 100% agree with you Brian, Jesus taught it. This too is taught in the Old Testament, in fact everything Jesus taught was right out of it.

Old 06-06-2013, 05:56 PM

Quote:
If you believe the Old Testament scriptures teach that God is love and that God teaches us to love our enemies and then in the next breath say that the God who is love and teaches us to love our enemies, commanded all the savagery and atrocities in the Old Testament, then you need to take a long hard look at what you believe.
You don't have to reword my posts, and make declarations about what you think I believe. You had no idea what the OT said about loving your neighbor and what it said about enemies, so I showed you a few verses. You were wrong. Period. Get used to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity