Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 10:16 PM

2,817 posts, read 3,478,615 times

Advertisements

So we agree that trust is Jesus and nothing else. Just making sure you weren't gonna say I "have" to do more things. Cool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2013, 10:22 PM

5,965 posts, read 7,049,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I think you have understood it incorrectly if you think there is no security.
How is it then, Finn that the bible teaches that a man can "Fall away" or commit the unpardonable sin after he knew the truth, etc.... ??? I really do not think the bible teaches once saved always saved - but then again, I do not believe the bible is the authority on TRUTH either. Granted, there are a collection of scriptures that would support the doctrine of once saved always saved, but unfortunately there are just as many scriptures that would be as much as if not more than equal to those that could refute it. You can get whatever you want out of the B I B L E. Have faith in God... that's my firm belief.

Old 08-06-2013, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
But 'once saved always saved' is Not taught in Scripture.

The 'crown of life' is Not given until after a faithful death- Revelation 2 v 10 B.
Good thing Jesus died a faithful death. He is our covering. God has given all things into his hands.

Old 08-06-2013, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mszlady View Post
A choice was made, but we are not saved by our own power. Christ saved us by giving his life. There is nothing we can do to EARN our way into heaven. Because as Isaiah 64:6 says, our righteousness is like filthy rags.
And we have ALL TOGETHER become as AN UNCLEAN thing. The whole of humanity -- ALL TOGETHER became as AN (singular) unclean thing. Also, Christ tasted death for EVERY MAN. Jesus is Lord! Glory! Makes me shout inside my heart to think about that.

Old 08-06-2013, 10:45 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,548,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
God called me. I know that. I also know that since I did nothing to save myself, I can do nothing to change that.
Except for the truth that Jesus specifically stated:
apart from me you can do nothing. If you do not remain in me, you are like a branch that
is thrown away and withers; such branches are picked up, thrown into the fire and burned.
So why (if the Reformed\Baptistic theorum is true) then the need to:
John 15:9
“As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Now remain in my love."
Acts 11:23
" he was glad and encouraged them all to remain true to the Lord with all their hearts.

"Acts 14:22
"and encouraging them to remain true to the faith."

Revelation 14:12
This calls for patient endurance on the part of the people of God who keep his commands and remain faithful to Jesus.

Last edited by twin.spin; 08-06-2013 at 10:48 PM.. Reason: spacing

Old 08-07-2013, 12:00 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,339,635 times
I can't help but think it's a lazy and intellectually-dishonest Christian who says, "Jesus is my saviour" and then equates that to a permanent, Monopoly-ish, Get Out Of Jail/Hell Free (And-Into-Heaven) card - no matter what ills they may inflict.

Makes no sense at all.

ETA: And I really don't care where, or by whom, it may be written otherwise.

Last edited by TroutDude; 08-07-2013 at 12:02 AM.. Reason: Clarification

Old 08-07-2013, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I can't help but think it's a lazy and intellectually-dishonest Christian who says, "Jesus is my saviour" and then equates that to a permanent, Monopoly-ish, Get Out Of Jail/Hell Free (And-Into-Heaven) card - no matter what ills they may inflict.

Makes no sense at all.

ETA: And I really don't care where, or by whom, it may be written otherwise.
Tried to Rep you but it is not your time yet. Your post reminds me of the time more than 25 years back that I sat in a Pastor's office crying because I felt guilty for coming to Christ out of fear. He said... it's okay that's a good enough reason. I said, but I don't feel like it is genuine - I am just afraid of hell.

Old 08-07-2013, 08:35 AM

6,370 posts, read 7,059,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
God regenerated me, and allowed me to see his goodness -- at which time I trusted Christ.

It's similar to if I gave my daughter a bowl of raw liver....or a bowl of her favorite ice cream. I know which one she'd choose--she doesn't have it in her to choose the raw liver.
So if it is 100% God's saving effort to save a person and He doesn't need your permission then it is God that is therefore responsible for anyone not being 100% saved, correct?

Old 08-07-2013, 09:47 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,994,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I think you have understood it incorrectly if you think there is no security.
That comment really doesn't help my understanding. Is it possible for a person to think he is saved when he is actually not? What is the assurance of salvation? What did Peter mean when he said to "make your calling and election sure?"

Old 08-07-2013, 10:15 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,994,517 times
Let me reiterate what I said in another thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
I agree wholeheartedly. We are a new creature with new imperatives, and the fact that old habits occasionally impinge themselves does not take away from the fact that I live in God's love. THAT is what is really "eternal security," and when I recognize that I have "blown it," I am sure of forgiveness for that lapse and help in being what I was meant to be.
The doctrine of "eternal security" was an over reaction to an abuse of the Catholic Church in teaching that any sin in our lives could cause us to be sent to Hell, or at best purgatory, and that the only recourse was confession, attrition and absolution administered by that church. The picture often given was walking on a thin crust that was liable at any mis-step to break through and send us crashing to Hell. Over-reaction to that perception turns out to be just as misleading from the fact as presented by scripture that our relationship with God is not based on our perfection.

! John 1: " 5This is the message we have heard from Him and announce to you, that God is Light, and in Him there is no darkness at all.6If we say that we have fellowship with Him and yet walk in the darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth;7but if we walk in the Light as He Himself is in the Light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus His Son cleanses us from all sin.8If we say that we have no sin, we are deceiving ourselves and the truth is not in us.9If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.10If we say that we have not sinned, we make Him a liar and His word is not in us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity