Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2013, 06:50 PM

37,340 posts, read 28,341,225 times

Advertisements

Believe on The Lord Jesus Christ and thou shall be saved. I have no interest in this being a UR v ET debate. Just a simple post stating what you believe you are saved from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2013, 07:11 PM

37,340 posts, read 28,341,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Church View Post
Turning next to those who shall stand on His left, He will pour out His justice upon them in these words: Departfrom me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared f or the devil and his angels.The first words, depart from me, express the heaviest punishment with which the wicked shall be visited, eternal banishment from the sight of God, unrelieved by one consolatory hope of ever recovering so great a
good. This punishment is called by theologians the pain of loss, because in hell the wicked shall be deprivedforever of the light of the vision of God.The words ye cursed, which follow, increase unutterably their wretched and calamitous condition. If whenbanished from the divine presence they were deemed worthy to receive some benediction, this would be to them a great source of consolation. But since they can expect nothing of this kind as an alleviation of their misery, thendivine justice deservedly pursues them with every species of malediction, once they have been banished.The next words, into everlasting fire, express another sort of punishment, which is called by theologians thenpain of sense, because, like lashes, stripes or other more severe chastisements, among which fire, no produces the most intense pain, it is felt through the organs of sense. When, moreover, we reflect that thistorment is to be eternal, we can see at once that the punishment of the damned includes every kind of suffering.The concluding words, which was prepared f or the devil and his angels, make this still more clear. For nature has so provided that we feel miseries less when we have companions and sharers in them who can, least in some measure, assist us by their advice and kindness, what must be the horrible state of the damned in such calamities can never separate themselves from the companionship of most wicked demons ? And yetmost justly shall this very sentence be pronounced by our Lord and Saviour on those sinners who neglected allthe works of true mercy, who gave neither food to the hungry, nor drink to the thirsty, who refused shelter to the stranger and clothing to the naked, and who would not visit the sick and the imprisoned.
Thanks.

Old 08-14-2013, 07:56 PM

28,112 posts, read 30,023,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Believe on The Lord Jesus Christ and thou shall be saved. I have no interest in this being a UR v ET debate. Just a simple post stating what you believe you are saved from.
I'd say two things...

1. The permanance of death
2. Having to pay the price for my own sins

Old 08-14-2013, 08:03 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,942,588 times
The futility of a selfish life. More importantly, I am saved to life more abundant in the joy of fellowship with Christ that is eternal.......starting a few years ago.

Old 08-14-2013, 08:20 PM

3,055 posts, read 2,934,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post

Eternal separation from the presence of God.

Old 08-14-2013, 08:44 PM

6,370 posts, read 7,039,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basiliximab View Post
Eternal separation from the presence of God.
Would you agree:

1.) God knows the end from the beginning.
2.) God knows all things.
3.) God started our lives by giving us the breath of life.

If so, then God would have known everyone that would be eternally separated BEFORE he even gave them the breath of life. That would be the God your preaching if you believe all three o f those.

Old 08-14-2013, 08:55 PM

20,444 posts, read 12,817,788 times
Spiritual death. God's wrath.

Romans 6:23

For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Romans 5:9

Since we have now been justified by his blood, how much more shall we be saved from God’s wrath through him!

Old 08-14-2013, 09:54 PM

3,055 posts, read 2,934,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trettep View Post
Would you agree:

1.) God knows the end from the beginning.
2.) God knows all things.
3.) God started our lives by giving us the breath of life.

If so, then God would have known everyone that would be eternally separated BEFORE he even gave them the breath of life.
Yes, but I don't know whom it is He has chosen unto ever-lasting life. Someone may believe himself to be saved when he is not and one can fear that he is not saved when he is. A person should not assume lightly that he is saved. The heart can be deceived and always open to temptation; earnest self-examination should be a significant component of a Christian's life to make sure their salvation rests alone on Christ's sacrifice.

I'm not really sure if that's what you were talking about though; it seemed like it might have been. I think the three points you mentioned are basically true. I don't fully understand the doctrine of God's Decree (which deals with what He knows and the future and all that); I'm still searching for understanding as I read His word, praying for His assistance with that (it is a very complex thing though and here is the exact wording of it: "Though He knows whatsoever may or can come to pass upon all supposed conditions, yet He hasn't decreed anything because He foresaw it as future, or as that which would come to pass upon such conditions". It almost sounds like He ordains everything that comes to pass and knows all the possibilities of what can come to pass; yet He can't know the future because it hasn't happened yet? That doesn't seem quite right, but I just am not certain of it yet. Hopefully, the Holy Spirit will inspire me to understanding as I continue to search His word).

Old 08-14-2013, 09:57 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,401,549 times
Rescued from yesterday’s leftovers, as:

"Most spend way too much time reading the menu; but never seem to enjoy the banquet."

Old 08-14-2013, 10:02 PM

6,370 posts, read 7,039,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basiliximab View Post
Yes, but I don't know whom it is He has chosen unto ever-lasting life. Someone may believe himself to be saved when he is not and one can fear that he is not saved when he is. A person should not assume lightly that he is saved. The heart can be deceived and always open to temptation; earnest self-examination should be a significant component of a Christian's life to make sure their salvation rests alone on Christ's sacrifice.

I'm not really sure if that's what you were talking about though; it seemed like it might have been. I think the three points you mentioned are basically true. I don't fully understand the doctrine of God's Decree (which deals with what He knows and the future and all that); I'm still searching for understanding as I read His word, praying for His assistance with that (it is a very complex thing though and here is the exact wording of it: "Though He knows whatsoever may or can come to pass upon all supposed conditions, yet He hasn't decreed anything because He foresaw it as future, or as that which would come to pass upon such conditions". It almost sounds like He ordains everything that comes to pass and knows all the possibilities of what can come to pass; yet He can't know the future because it hasn't happened yet? That doesn't seem quite right, but I just am not certain of it yet. Hopefully, the Holy Spirit will inspire me to understanding as I continue to search His word).
I say that because I hoped it made you think about it - which it appears you did. The reality is that God must be intent on saving everyone. Because He is the one that gave us life to begin with (fully knowing the end from the beginning). This is what us universlist are trying to show on this forum to those that are trying to understand this. God knows the future because He knows th end from the beginning.

Isa 46:9 Remember the former things of old: for I am God, and there is none else; I am God, and there is none like me,
Isa 46:10 Declaring the end from the beginning, and from ancient times the things that are not yet done, saying, My counsel shall stand, and I will do all my pleasure:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity