Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 11:16 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,216,364 times

Advertisements

The wrath of God. Rom 5:9
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2013, 11:19 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,216,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
We know God His will, His ways, from the Bible. We know God and His love, mercy, kindness and faithfulness to his promises and his people by the history of His work to bring salvation to all mankind through Jesus Christ through the words of the Bible.

As far as who the elect are, that's easy. Paul often referred to the saints in various churches as "the elect" or "the chosen." Christians in almost all cases are already God's elect. That's how they came to faith, because God elected them to eternal salvation.

Eph 1:4 For he chose us in him before the creation of the world to be holy and blameless in his sight. In love
Eph 1:5 he predestined us to be adopted as his sons through Jesus Christ, in accordance with his pleasure and will—
Eph 1:6 to the praise of his glorious grace, which he has freely given us in the One he loves.

Just remember that being elected doesn't guarantee eventual salvation. Most of the Israelites who left Egypt, died in the desert and were condemned to hell. They fell away. They also were God's chosen people.
Romans discusses that. The elect are not the ones born Hebrew. It's not circumcision of the flesh that saves, but circumcision of the heart. That is a work not done by human hands.

Old 08-20-2013, 01:33 PM

5,909 posts, read 3,803,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Believe on The Lord Jesus Christ and thou shall be saved. I have no interest in this being a UR v ET debate. Just a simple post stating what you believe you are saved from.
When I was a Christian I believed I was being saved from hell. However, I've come to realize after much study and thought that that particular idea is ludicrous as the hell most Christians believe in is not real. Not that I'm advocating either side of the ET/UR debate, but at least the Universalists aren't pushing that kind of hell I was always told I was going to no matter how hard I tried to be perfect.

If there's a god, he/she/it is not the "bible" god.

Old 08-21-2013, 05:48 AM

376 posts, read 420,336 times
Quote:
Just a simple post stating what you believe you are saved from.
Everlasting death.

Old 08-21-2013, 07:08 PM

37,340 posts, read 28,334,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteWings View Post
Everlasting death.
Did you mean this WhiteWings ?.

and this is the life age-during, that they may KNOW Thee, the only true God, and him whom Thou didst send -- Jesus Christ

Old 08-22-2013, 06:49 AM

376 posts, read 420,336 times
I simply mean death as an atheist would define it.

Old 07-13-2014, 09:41 AM

37,340 posts, read 28,334,160 times
My gripe with universalists is they are not clear about what it is we are saved from. Although you guys explain how hell is not eternal, yet i cannot help but think that you make it sound like salvation is salvation from hell.

I cannot see salvation being anything less than a person waking up to the fact that he was a slave to another, frees himself from the truth of this and lives in the glorious liberty as a son or daughter of God.

Old 07-13-2014, 01:58 PM

63,901 posts, read 40,178,831 times
Quote:
My gripe with universalists is they are not clear about what it is we are saved from. Although you guys explain how hell is not eternal, yet i cannot help but think that you make it sound like salvation is salvation from hell.
I cannot see salvation being anything less than a person waking up to the fact that he was a slave to another, frees himself from the truth of this and lives in the glorious liberty as a son or daughter of God.
Have you ever selfishly or obliviously caused irreparable harm to someone you loved, pcamps? The impossibility of ever repairing or removing the harm is the kind of hell of regret and remorse that we should be trying to avoid through daily focus on "love of God and each other." Trust me . . . when the impacts of our lives are revealed to us in the glare of God's pure love . . . we will know that kind of regret and remorse.

Old 07-13-2014, 02:22 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,483,752 times
Quote:
believe on the lord jesus christ and thou shall be saved. I have no interest in this being a ur v et debate. Just a simple post stating what you believe you are saved from.
myself!!!

Old 07-13-2014, 02:30 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,668,852 times
Quote:
Believe on The Lord Jesus Christ and thou shall be saved. I have no interest in this being a UR v ET debate. Just a simple post stating what you believe you are saved from.

Christians and Christianity....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity