Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 02:19 PM

409 posts, read 957,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonpostal View Post
I don't know a lot about JW's. I've lived next door to them and worked side by side with them. They seem to come in all shapes and sizes. The guy I worked with swore and told dirty jokes all day long. He made cat calls to women when we'd drive by them in our marked work truck. He ripped off our employer for thousands of dollars and never blinked an eye. He was one the biggest jerks I've ever met.

My JW neighbors were quite a work. The daughter had two kids out of wedlock and an abortion, one kid when she was 13 the other when she was 16, the abortion in between. In order to stay JW her parents had to adopt the kids and pretend they were theirs. So, you have a 50 year old mom with a newborn and no one knows the difference?

Our church has weekly visitation. We go out and knock on doors and talk about God and invite people to our church. I have tried witnessing to JW's and they are not interested in the least. They don't even want to debate.

Several times our church has had series on cults. Some of their beliefs are pretty far afield.

If I was you I'd move on or at least put her on the back burner. It's obvious you care for her, but you've tried reaching out and for unknown reasons she isn't willing to reciprocate. What more can you do?
Just my opinion but when the subject of JWs come up with examples of bad behavior two things come to mind...
1) If the people were say some other religious group, Catholic, Evangelical, Baptist whatever behaving badly I doubt their religion would enter into the conversation. For example who would say, "I worked with a Catholic and he drank like a fish and is twice divorced" or 'My Baptist neighbor cusses and says you are going to hell or <fill in the blank> and has children from three different dads." Hmmm this leads me to believe that people expect differently with JWs because they are known as a group for being law abiding and honest folks.

2) There are people who call themselves JWs,who have studied with JWs or were JWs but left or their parents were JWs and so they may think of themselves as such. And, there are some who may lead a double life.

If people were seriously wanting to know who JWs are and what their beliefs are their website is no secret.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2013, 03:22 PM

222 posts, read 470,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by u225615 View Post
Just my opinion but when the subject of JWs come up with examples of bad behavior two things come to mind...
1) If the people were say some other religious group, Catholic, Evangelical, Baptist whatever behaving badly I doubt their religion would enter into the conversation. For example who would say, "I worked with a Catholic and he drank like a fish and is twice divorced" or 'My Baptist neighbor cusses and says you are going to hell or <fill in the blank> and has children from three different dads." Hmmm this leads me to believe that people expect differently with JWs because they are known as a group for being law abiding and honest folks.

2) There are people who call themselves JWs,who have studied with JWs or were JWs but left or their parents were JWs and so they may think of themselves as such. And, there are some who may lead a double life.

If people were seriously wanting to know who JWs are and what their beliefs are their website is no secret.
The OP's thread was about JW's not catholics, Baptists, evangelicals etc..I have plenty of gripes with my own denomination. Read my post in the bastards not allowed in church thread before you make false accusations that I am singling out one group. Your assertion JW's are known as a group of law abiding and honest folks is questionable when they refuse compulsory military service and continue to operate in countries where they've been banned. That is not law abiding.

My personal experiences with the two I wrote about are true and no less valid just because you don't like it. I used them to illustrate and help the OP, not please you. My two examples were of people who are current, living, breathing JW's, attending JW churches in good standing. None of what you suggested in #2 applied to them. In the case of the man I worked with, he even had some church title, I think he called himself an overseer or something like that.

Old 09-12-2013, 12:23 AM

409 posts, read 957,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonpostal View Post
The OP's thread was about JW's not catholics, Baptists, evangelicals etc..I have plenty of gripes with my own denomination. Read my post in the bastards not allowed in church thread before you make false accusations that I am singling out one group. Your assertion JW's are known as a group of law abiding and honest folks is questionable when they refuse compulsory military service and continue to operate in countries where they've been banned. That is not law abiding.

My personal experiences with the two I wrote about are true and no less valid just because you don't like it. I used them to illustrate and help the OP, not please you. My two examples were of people who are current, living, breathing JW's, attending JW churches in good standing. None of what you suggested in #2 applied to them. In the case of the man I worked with, he even had some church title, I think he called himself an overseer or something like that.
So by extension if certain faiths or say all faiths were banned in the US tomorrow that would be sufficient reason for those who practice their religion to cease. By the way, the nations who ban the JWs are for the most part countries who do not have strong traditions of impartial judicial systems, respect for human rights, or rule of law. Lets remember the Nazis banned them as well for one of the reasons you cited and we know how law abiding the Nazis were.

You are absolutely right about the validity of your experiences so here's my personal experience to share. I've had these folks come to my door and have read the materials they've left and converse quite a bit. I find most of their beliefs straightforward and not as obfuscated as that which I've grown up with. I have worked with them in various capacities as well. One women in particular stands out. She didn't participate in Christmas, birthdays, Halloween, etc but never raised a fuss about our decorations, or celebrations. She came to work on time and unlike a lot of others she would find work to do whereas others during "down time" would surf the internet, chit chat, etc. Never engaged in office gossip and just a sweet gal. Yet some of my coworkers would make unkind remarks about her refusal to participate in the aforementioned celebrations. Really? what matters more to people? a kind, honest, and hardworking individual who is different or someone just like themselves (I guess someone just like themselves wins out). I've also met another individual who celebrated Christmas and claimed to be a JW (which I thought odd) but it turns out he had some bible study with them for a few years (from what I understand that doesnt qualify).

To the OP you are probably better off treasuring the good times you had with your friend and letting go. From my perspective, for example, at work they'll attend "team building" lunches or company sponsored outings (at least the ones I've encountered) but I wouldn't expect an invitation on a more personal level unless it's to attend a convention or a Sunday "talk." Hopefully you and your friend are better people from the friendship you shared.

Old 09-13-2013, 03:06 PM

198 posts, read 262,807 times
I had a friend who was JW. Her entire family hated me, and let it be know that they did. But she stayed my friend anyway until we both graduated and moved on with our lives. I think it's ultimately up to her. If she cares more about what her other JW believers think, then she'll eventually cut you off all together. I know it may hurt, but just let the friendship run its course. You never know, she may miss you and want the friendship you used to have before she went back to JW.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity