Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2013, 12:02 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,578,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
Thank you for being so kind as to believe that. Unfortunately I love my IPad too much to part ways with it. And I don't speak German! Maybe I could compromise and be part of the organization from which they split---the Mennonites? The more liberal ones aren't as opposed to electricity and conduct worship in English while holding to many of the Amish tenets. But, unfortunately, I might be seen as a lost cause!!!

But I do believe a more minimalist lifestyle might help most of us to focus more upon God.

Many years ago I knew a pastor who had studied the Old Testament under a blind professor in a seminary whose name I've forgotten. The professor had been losing his vision for years so he had memorized the entire OT right down to the "begats" chapters in order to continue teaching. But his singular vice was that every day in his last afternoon class he would light up a cigar and smoke it as he lectured. My pastor finally worked up the courage to ask him in class why he smoked. His reply to all was, "Boys, I smoke this cigar to the glory of God, and you should study your lessons for the same reason."

In other words, let all your actions be meant to glorify God. Our pastor had never forgotten the lesson he learned that day.

Because that lesson has slipped away from so many of us, and because too many of us marry our Christian life with political persuasion, perhaps we have "done away" with the teachings of Jesus.
My wife grew up Mennonite Brethren and we attended a MB church for many years. Most of the groups within the different Mennonite denominations are nothing like the Amish at all. They do though take seriously the idea to be "in the world but not of the world". The problem with any group as separated from the world as the Amish are is that in many cases your separation in it's self becomes your faith. Your traditions and customs become more important than the gospel it's self. Years ago I had a farm right in the middle of a big group of Amish and I experienced this first hand. Don't get me wrong here, I admire them very much in many respects but their separateness become cultish in many ways.

Here in Canada the Mennonite Central Committee has got to be one of the greatest Christian outreach ministry that exists. Thousands of people, mostly retired dedicate their lives to working within this organization as volunteers. They are very well balanced between the idea of a "Social" gospel and a spiritual gospel. Feeding the hungry, clothing the destitute and assisting in any way they can to meet the everyday needs of people is key to showing the love of Jesus. They have different ways of raising funds but their "Ten Thousand Villages" programme is just awesome. Check it out on line and see if there is a store anywhere near you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2013, 08:32 PM

63,814 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I agree poor in Spirit means that we are able to accept the fact that without God we are spiritually empty (poor / spiritless). It is another way of saying we are to be humble, which is becoming a rare quality in some people.

Old 09-14-2013, 08:37 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,714,086 times
Default Hey, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
My wife grew up Mennonite Brethren and we attended a MB church for many years. Most of the groups within the different Mennonite denominations are nothing like the Amish at all. They do though take seriously the idea to be "in the world but not of the world". The problem with any group as separated from the world as the Amish are is that in many cases your separation in it's self becomes your faith. Your traditions and customs become more important than the gospel it's self. Years ago I had a farm right in the middle of a big group of Amish and I experienced this first hand. Don't get me wrong here, I admire them very much in many respects but their separateness become cultish in many ways.

Here in Canada the Mennonite Central Committee has got to be one of the greatest Christian outreach ministry that exists. Thousands of people, mostly retired dedicate their lives to working within this organization as volunteers. They are very well balanced between the idea of a "Social" gospel and a spiritual gospel. Feeding the hungry, clothing the destitute and assisting in any way they can to meet the everyday needs of people is key to showing the love of Jesus. They have different ways of raising funds but their "Ten Thousand Villages" programme is just awesome. Check it out on line and see if there is a store anywhere near you.
This is very enlightening information. Thanks for sharing it.

Old 09-15-2013, 09:37 AM

910 posts, read 1,338,356 times
Kudos, Brian.

Its about time somebody brought this up. It will win you enemies, though. We are going from a Christian group to a "churchian" group. We forget the reason the man came to die and the responsibility he demands from every one of us. In the scripture , I believe Acts, the early christians kept to the word and practices in the main. The recalcitrant ones paid with their lives - even if it was as a result of broken promises to their congregation - Annaias et wife. Paul and his folks, practiced the words, preached the word and healed even more than Christ did. The power they had was consistent with the promise of Christ. In these last days, we do not display such powers, what is happening? Hello? Are we sure we are with him?

Old 09-15-2013, 10:04 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Irony meter
Thanks Mystic. Comments like that help prove my point. They are designed to tear down, as opposed to building up.

Old 09-15-2013, 10:07 AM

1,970 posts, read 1,761,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post

In essence: How can we say that we are Christians, if we don't follow the teachings of Christ? Are we seeking to be transformed in Christ daily, into total submission to His will?

Peace.
brian
One is not a true Christian if one does not follow the 10 commandments to best of their ability. Do you follow all commandments, even the fourth?

Old 09-15-2013, 02:45 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,578,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MORebelWoman View Post
One is not a true Christian if one does not follow the 10 commandments to best of their ability. Do you follow all commandments, even the fourth?
Not true, Christians do not observe the Sabbath!!!!

Old 09-15-2013, 03:26 PM

4,883 posts, read 6,212,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
Jesus said, "if you love me, keep my commandments."

Many Christians these days are quick to acknowledge that faith is part and parcel of Christianity. And most Christians will also say that evangelizing is part of the duty of Christians. Christians are also very quick to tell others that there is a hell awaiting them if they don't get their act together. (even though the early church, as indicated in the Book of Acts, didn't do this, and Jesus never told his disciples to tell people that they would go to hell.)

But what about the rest of Jesus' teachings? In particular, the "beatitudes" or "sermon on the mount of Olives?" Was it all just good rhetoric? Nice philosophy? How often are we hearing these basic commands taught today? Or are we mostly taught the prosperty doctrines and whatever else the wind blows our way?

Are we who believe in Christ able to do these "first" commands, such as turning the other cheek? Really??

Why is it, that Christians are quick to say that they follow Jesus, but are even quicker to justify themselves and men, and say that this or that command of Jesus (such as loving one's enemy) is not always necessary? It's easy to say we follow Jesus with our lips; it's not so easy in our actions and in our hearts!

In essence: How can we say that we are Christians, if we don't follow the teachings of Christ? Are we seeking to be transformed in Christ daily, into total submission to His will?

Peace.
brian

Love your neighbor as yourself....do this one thing and ALL else will follow.

Old 09-15-2013, 04:19 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
True, and Jesus did not mention the Sabbath in the beatitudes.

“Blessed are the poor in spirit,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

4 Blessed are those who mourn,
for they will be comforted.

5 Blessed are the meek,
for they will inherit the earth.

6 Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness,
for they will be filled.

7 Blessed are the merciful,
for they will be shown mercy.

8 Blessed are the pure in heart,
for they will see God.

9 Blessed are the peacemakers,
for they will be called children of God.

10 Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

11 “Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me. ejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you.

Old 09-16-2013, 07:36 AM

1,970 posts, read 1,761,554 times
Quote:
I see that you know very little about the Christian denominations. There are many Christians who follow the true Sabbath. Please be sure to know what you are posting about before showing your ignorance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity