Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 08:56 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,425,988 times

Advertisements

Philippians 4:13
I can do all things through Christ[a] who strengthens me.

Reading this verse alone, it sounds a bit arrogant. I have heard people use this verse so much that it makes me wonder can we really do all things through Christ who strengthens us? What does Paul really mean here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2013, 08:58 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,924,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post

Reading this verse alone, it sounds a bit arrogant. I have heard people use this verse so much that it makes me wonder can we really do all things through Christ who strengthens us? What does Paul really mean here?
I can do all [spiritual] things through Christ, who gives me the strength to do them.

God's not going to give you the strength to lift a 10,000 pound boulder to free your trapped leg, even if your life depends on it--if that's what you're thinking.

Old 09-23-2013, 09:05 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:

You have to read the verse in context to get its complete meaning.

Basically this was Paul saying he could get through anything and still find his peace and contentment because he had detached himself from the material things of life and was relying solely on God to meet all his needs.

Old 09-23-2013, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
I can do all [spiritual] things through Christ, who gives me the strength to do them.

God's not going to give you the strength to lift a 10,000 pound boulder to free your trapped leg, even if your life depends on it--if that's what you're thinking.
No that's not what I am thinking. After reading the verses preceding the verse, sounds like Paul was referring to his own struggles and hardship that he was facing, but despite of it all, he was capable of doing all spiritual things through Christ as God helped him. Or am I seeing it wrong?

Old 09-23-2013, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
You have to read the verse in context to get its complete meaning.

Basically this was Paul saying he could get through anything and still find his peace and contentment because he had detached himself from the material things of life and was relying solely on God to meet all his needs.
Thanks, and I agree with you.

Old 09-23-2013, 11:42 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,924,631 times
Quote:
No that's not what I am thinking. After reading the verses preceding the verse, sounds like Paul was referring to his own struggles and hardship that he was facing, but despite of it all, he was capable of doing all spiritual things through Christ as God helped him. Or am I seeing it wrong?
Sounds good to me.

Old 09-24-2013, 02:54 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,038,751 times
Quote:

You mean misapplied...

Old 09-24-2013, 05:59 AM

473 posts, read 822,222 times
Quote:

Jesus is God. God is a love perfected in forgiveness. Bring forth Christ--Your own love perfected in forgiveness--nothing and no one who loves can stand in the face of that. If they do, shake the dust from your feet and move on.

Yeshua Bless You

Old 09-24-2013, 06:10 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:

It is clear if you also read verses 11 and 12

11 I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. 12 I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. 13 I can do all this through him who gives me strength.

Old 09-24-2013, 06:29 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,919,333 times
One of my seminary profs told a funny story about this former student of his, who would quote this verse all the time. Finally, one day, the prof takes him and the whole class out to the parking lot and asks this guy to lift the back end of a VW. The prof was trying to make the point, it does not apply to things of the material world, but the spiritual, but only with God's help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity