Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2013, 08:50 AM

304 posts, read 302,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
To all who have posted on this thread supporting the good news being offensive,answer me this question. I'm asking the question because 1 particular poster seems to think a stumbling block, (or an offense)and foolishness are the same thing.

Why does scripture state that the preaching of the cross is a stumbling block to the Jews and foolishness to the Gentiles, why is it not the same for both Jew and gentile ?.

Is it so hard to believe that the stumbling block for the Jew was that their messiah was crucified upon a cross( which was considered a curse to be put to death this way), and they just couldn't get their head around it. They were not offended by the cross, they simply could not accept a messiah cursed upon a cross, this was not how it was supposed to end for the messiah they were expecting to come and reign.
The reason the stumbling block/offense argument came to light is the meaning of the Greek word where you qre quoting OFFENSE at.

I suppose you want to rewrite Koine Greek to suit your theology. The other person is letting the language determine his understanding, not making his understanding define the language.

The word has a meaning, to ignore that meaning is not a proper way to exegete scripture.

Another word is SARX, often translated FLESH, and in the NIV sometimes it is Sinful nature. Because people insist on it being FLESH like the human body, they butcher several concepts paul discusses. And, in fact those people would have to claim Paul was a living Dungeons and Dragons Skeleton since he said point blank he was no longer in the flesh.

it's important on some words to dig in and understand them better to get the proper picture. Someone is doing that here, and someone else isn't.

While this post is about the Koine Greek word, it's on topic as that word OFFENSE is part of someone's answer here. So it should be open for debate.

Old 10-02-2013, 08:51 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,752,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Truth interferes with man's desire to be God. This frenzied anger and frustration with God's truth is inspired by Satan who said to himself: "I will ascend to the tops of the clouds, I will make myself like the Most High’" (Isaiah 14:12-14, NIV).
Yes, we inherited the same pride and arrogance from him.

Old 10-02-2013, 08:52 AM

304 posts, read 302,844 times
I'm lost, how was I off topic, and how is 142 on topic? I'm obviously not understanding something.

Old 10-02-2013, 08:55 AM

17,164 posts, read 11,426,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
It was the Gospel which caused the offence. I hated the light, just like Jesus said. I am glad I had the opportunity to explain it to you in detail in my previous post.
And I'm sure you'll be glad to help clarify it all then.

Why do you think you didn't want to accept God's love?

You say you didn't want to admit failure. How would accepting God's love have amounted to admitting failure?

Old 10-02-2013, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Truth interferes with man's desire to be God. This frenzied anger and frustration with God's truth is inspired by Satan who said to himself: "I will ascend to the tops of the clouds, I will make myself like the Most High’" (Isaiah 14:12-14, NIV).

Jghorton, would you mind explaining, what does "be God" or "like God" mean to you?

Old 10-02-2013, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
And I'm sure you'll be glad to help clarify it all then.

Why do you think you didn't want to accept God's love?

You say you didn't want to admit failure. How would accepting God's love have amounted to admitting failure?
I am happy I had the opportynity to clarify the above questions on multiple occations already. Please read the thread and find your answers.

Old 10-02-2013, 10:38 AM

Quote:
I am happy I had the opportynity to clarify the above questions on multiple occations already. Please read the thread and find your answers.

I didn't see an answer to my question in your previous posts.

How would accepting God's love have amounted to admitting failure?

Old 10-02-2013, 10:52 AM

Quote:
I didn't see an answer to my question in your previous posts.

How would accepting God's love have amounted to admitting failure?
It was explained in the very post you replied to, and in many other posts on this thread. I won't keep repeating everything, because it is a waste of time. Anyone who is interested in the posts can read them for themselves.

Old 10-02-2013, 11:01 AM

Quote:
It was explained in the very post you replied to, and in many other posts on this thread. I won't keep repeating everything, because it is a waste of time. Anyone who is interested in the posts can read them for themselves.

Well, I wouldn't want to waste your time. How about you just take a second and bold that part of your post that answers the question of how accepting that God loves you would have amounted to you admitting failure:

At this point I could add the jealousy fed the feeling of being offended. The people who talked to me had something, a joy, which I knew I didn't have and I was offended by it although they were trying to share it with me. I wanted it, but at the same time I didn't want to admit I wanted it, because I was supposed to be the guy who was living the life where everything was cool, and under control. I didn't want people to know that deep down I was not happy, I was only pretending to have a good time. I was empty, but I didn't want people to see it. That would have been same as admitting failure, and that was out of the question.

Old 10-02-2013, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Well, I wouldn't want to waste your time. How about you just take a second and bold that part of your post that answers the question of how accepting that God loves you would have amounted to you admitting failure:

At this point I could add the jealousy fed the feeling of being offended. The people who talked to me had something, a joy, which I knew I didn't have and I was offended by it although they were trying to share it with me. I wanted it, but at the same time I didn't want to admit I wanted it, because I was supposed to be the guy who was living the life where everything was cool, and under control. I didn't want people to know that deep down I was not happy, I was only pretending to have a good time. I was empty, but I didn't want people to see it. That would have been same as admitting failure, and that was out of the question.
Read post 143, and many others posts which answer it. The problem with people like you is the fact that you do not want to understand. People are too proud to admit they are unable to save themeselves, and that they need God for their salvation. They insist they need nothing but themselves, but all attempts at self-salvation fail, and the Gospel reveals this simple fact to them. It's a tough pill, but if you humble yourself and accept the truth, the truth sets you free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.