Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2013, 11:29 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,387,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Read post 143, and many others posts which answer it. The problem with people like you is the fact that you do not want to understand. People are too proud to admit they are unable to save themeselves, and that they need God for their salvation. They insist they need nothing but themselves, but all attempts at self-salvation fail, and the Gospel reveals this simple fact to them. It's a tough pill, but if you humble yourself and accept the truth, the truth sets you free.
First, you said you answered the question of how accepting that God loves you would be an admission of failure in the post I quoted, but you forgot to bold the section that answered it.

Second, here is the portion of post 143 that I will guess you were referring to:

It makes you realize you NEED God, that He is the only way out, and it is offensive to proud humans.

When you say "It makes you realize", are you saying that being told the good news that God loves you made you realize that you needed a way out of your empty lifestyle? Are you saying that you didn't know that your lifestyle was empty until someone told you that God loved you? Or are you saying you already knew you needed/wanted a way out of that lifestyle, but being told that God loving you was the way out of it was offensive?

Old 10-02-2013, 11:42 AM

1,263 posts, read 1,389,420 times
Quote:
Read post 143, and many others posts which answer it. The problem with people like you is the fact that you do not want to understand. People are too proud to admit they are unable to save themeselves, and that they need God for their salvation. They insist they need nothing but themselves, but all attempts at self-salvation fail, and the Gospel reveals this simple fact to them. It's a tough pill, but if you humble yourself and accept the truth, the truth sets you free.

Great thread and posts, Finn. Thank you for sharing your testimony. You answered all questions. I am unsure why you are being hen pecked about it. Some are outspoken non-Christians and are stiff-necked to the truth, and are simply looking to divert from having to look within their own heart ... something that is required when you submit and humble yourself to the Lord. May they in this lifetime bow before the King. God gives grace only to the humble; He turns His face away from the proud.

Keep pressing on, brother!

Old 10-02-2013, 11:46 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,611,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
First, you said you answered the question of how accepting that God loves you would be an admission of failure in the post I quoted, but you forgot to bold the section that answered it.

Second, here is the portion of post 143 that I will guess you were referring to:

It makes you realize you NEED God, that He is the only way out, and it is offensive to proud humans.

When you say "It makes you realize", are you saying that being told the good news that God loves you made you realize that you needed a way out of your empty lifestyle? Are you saying that you didn't know that your lifestyle was empty until someone told you that God loved you? Or are you saying you already knew you needed/wanted a way out of that lifestyle, but being told that God loving you was the way out of it was offensive?
Post 143 is a heck of a lot longer than one line. You argue for the sake of arguing without any desire to understand, so I won't bother with you anymore. There are many people who know exactly why and how the Gospel is offensive, so I hope those people have found this thread useful.

Have a nice day.

Old 10-02-2013, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saved33 View Post

Great thread and posts, Finn. Thank you for sharing your testimony. You answered all questions. I am unsure why you are being hen pecked about it. Some are outspoken non-Christians and are stiff-necked to the truth, and are simply looking to divert from having to look within their own heart ... something that is required when you submit and humble yourself to the Lord. May they in this lifetime bow before the King. God gives grace only to the humble; He turns His face away from the proud.

Saved, one of the things I realized upon coming out of Christianity is that we (Christians) use/d a whole of of Christian-ese that's ambiguous and doesn't really say much if you can't answer questions about what you mean by it. If it takes a little "hen-pecking" to get to the core of what you mean, why would that offend you?

Old 10-02-2013, 11:50 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,611,572 times
Quote:

Thank you.

Old 10-02-2013, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Post 143 is a heck of a lot longer than one line. You argue for the sake of arguing without any desire to understand, so I won't bother with you anymore. There are many people who know exactly why and how the Gospel is offensive, so I hope those people have found this thread useful.

Have a nice day.

Oh goodness, Finn. I cut it down to what I thought was your core intent. If I'm wrong, just tell me where to redirect my attention. Otherwise, just a straight up answer to the questions I'm asking would be great.

If you don't want to answer for whatever reason, fine. But I don't understand how the gospel is offensive. Why would you open a thread to explain why the gospel is offensive to people who already know why it's offensive? How would that be useful to them?

Old 10-02-2013, 12:35 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,283,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
And I'm sure you'll be glad to help clarify it all then.

Why do you think you didn't want to accept God's love?

You say you didn't want to admit failure. How would accepting God's love have amounted to admitting failure?
Moderator cut: baiting other member

The fact remains that there is no proof from the gospel where Someone was offended by the glad tidings Jesus shared other than the religious elite, and that wasn't because they were offended by what he said, they were offended that they were losing their control over the people.
So the Pharisees said to one another, "See, this is getting us nowhere. Look how the whole world has gone after him!"
Yea the world that is supposed to hate him and is offended by glad tidings. Forgive us Lord for portraying you in such a poor light, is it and wonder the world no longer goes after you.

Last edited by june 7th; 10-02-2013 at 03:50 PM..

Old 10-02-2013, 12:41 PM

Quote:

Actually even the evil God is merciful too, and I'm sure pride in your books is evil Luke 6:46.

The truth is if you turn your back on the rays of the grace of God, it will shine on your back.

Old 10-02-2013, 12:43 PM

Quote:
The truth offends because believing in Jesus as the Way, the Truth and the Life is ALL about surrendering your own will to God's will. Our life is not our own any longer. We must give up our life for his life. There is no other way about it.

Sinful man is all about pride, our own will. Surrendering to the Truth of God is all about being humble.

The two are like water and oil ... they do not mix.
I cannot find anything more none offensive than having your eyes opened to the love of God and the abundant Life he came we might live in. I suppose it all depends what tickles your fancy, being sin conscious or God conscious, one is burdensome the other peace and freedom.

Old 10-02-2013, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xian Catalyst View Post
The reason the stumbling block/offense argument came to light is the meaning of the Greek word where you qre quoting OFFENSE at.

I suppose you want to rewrite Koine Greek to suit your theology. The other person is letting the language determine his understanding, not making his understanding define the language.

The word has a meaning, to ignore that meaning is not a proper way to exegete scripture.

Another word is SARX, often translated FLESH, and in the NIV sometimes it is Sinful nature. Because people insist on it being FLESH like the human body, they butcher several concepts paul discusses. And, in fact those people would have to claim Paul was a living Dungeons and Dragons Skeleton since he said point blank he was no longer in the flesh.

it's important on some words to dig in and understand them better to get the proper picture. Someone is doing that here, and someone else isn't.

While this post is about the Koine Greek word, it's on topic as that word OFFENSE is part of someone's answer here. So it should be open for debate.
I'm not to sure what you are on about. Being offended by what someone says is completely different from stumbling at what someone says to you. Like I also pointed out, Paul said the cross was an offense to the Jew and foolishness to the gentile, they do not mean the same thing, otherwise he would have just said, the cross is a stumbling block to the Jews and Gentiles, don't ya think ?.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity