Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2013, 10:39 PM

183 posts, read 192,810 times

Advertisements

God says not to learn the way of the pagan.

But I don't guess you'd know that, read your bible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2013, 12:48 AM

5,965 posts, read 7,019,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
I'll go you one better. My sister converted to one of the fundamentalist varieties several years ago. She once bought a Dirt Devil vacuum cleaner, then taped over the word "Devil" so that she would not be influenced by Satan. I told her "You could have bought a Eureka"
For real? Does she abstain from Devil's Food Cake as well?

Old 10-26-2013, 12:49 AM

5,965 posts, read 7,019,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredNotBob View Post
So...she bought a 'Dirt'?

There are also people that will avoid getting 6.66 in change -- to the point where they'll pick up a random pack of gum just to get around that total.
This is known as being superstitious.

Old 10-26-2013, 07:57 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,925,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShepherdMaster View Post

You mean like borrowing pagan customs such is the time of Christmas, Christmas trees, yule logs, the time of Easter, the Easter Bunny, easter eggs, giving of gifts, etc etc. You mean those types of things the Christmas learned from pagans?

Old 10-26-2013, 08:02 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
You mean like borrowing pagan customs such is the time of Christmas, Christmas trees, yule logs, the time of Easter, the Easter Bunny, easter eggs, giving of gifts, etc etc. You mean those types of things the Christmas learned from pagans?
Oh, not this old saw again! Every freaking year this gets brought up. So what? All cultures borrow from each other.

Old 10-26-2013, 08:47 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,181,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Well, yeah - I don't celebrate any of that stuff myself.

Seriously, the kingdom of God has nothing to do with all this trivial stuff - it's like we're a bunch of kids playing games while the earth is waiting for the manifestion of the...

...here I go again.

Old 10-26-2013, 11:08 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,925,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Oh, not this old saw again! Every freaking year this gets brought up. So what? All cultures borrow from each other.
Then why does someone bring up "don't learn the way of the pagan?"

Facts are facts.

Old 10-26-2013, 06:55 PM

63,815 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShepherdMaster View Post
You are NOT learning the ways of the pagan unless you are doing them FOR THE SAME REASONS! People celebrating Christmas or Halloween are NOT doing it for the same reasons the pagans did. When will you people stop this superstitious nonsense . . . thinking that WHAT you are doing trumps WHY you are doing it. WHY we do what we do is the ONLY measure of what we are doing. We can NOT celebrate or worship anything we are not intending to celebrate or worship!

Old 10-26-2013, 08:07 PM

2,541 posts, read 2,542,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
You are NOT learning the ways of the pagan unless you are doing them FOR THE SAME REASONS! People celebrating Christmas or Halloween are NOT doing it for the same reasons the pagans did. When will you people stop this superstitious nonsense . . . thinking that WHAT you are doing trumps WHY you are doing it. WHY we do what we do is the ONLY measure of what we are doing. We can NOT celebrate or worship anything we are not intending to celebrate or worship!
Gota agree with you on this one. God looks upon the intents of the heart. It is written, "He shall not judge according to what he sees nor what He hears but shall judge righteously." It is all about intent and why you do it. My grandchildren will go to have a good time. No great theological trip ups for them. End of matter.

Old 10-26-2013, 10:24 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,365,848 times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity