Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 09:49 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,928,903 times

Advertisements

As a non believer but having done some extensive bible study in two languages, and read numerous concordances, it is clear that there are many passages, especially in then OT, but also in the NT, that just don't feel right.

I know, I know... One needs to read them in context.

What passages do Christian members here find are challenging? How have you been able to deal with them?

I can list many that are candidates for this, but that would be showing my prejudice, and perhaps this is better coming from believers rather than an atheist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2013, 10:11 AM

264 posts, read 351,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
As a non believer but having done some extensive bible study in two languages, and read numerous concordances, it is clear that there are many passages, especially in then OT, but also in the NT, that just don't feel right.

What passages do Christian members here find are challenging? How have you been able to deal with them?

I can list many that are candidates for this, but that would be showing my prejudice, and perhaps this is better coming from believers rather than an atheist.
Can I say that you may be talking about verses that SEEM to contradict one another? That is a major reason carnal man rejects the Word of God as truth, because it does not line up they say.
But be assured that the issue is not with the Word of God, it is with the readers eye sight.
I do not mean that you need glasses, I mean that you are viewing the Word with the same eyes that those who can not see the spiritual understandings that Jesus said was given to those who HAVE THE RIGHT HEART ATTITUDE towards God. Meaning that you are reading the Bible looking for flaws in it and not seeking to KNOW TRUTH.
The Word of God is as a two-edged sword. This means there are two sides, a natural understanding of the stories written in the Bible. Then there is the spiritual truth understood in ALLEGORIES, PARABLES, that give us the TRUE understanding and it is NOT given to the scoffer, those seeking to prove the Bible as a lie or the lazy reader.

So just repent of your skepticism and:
Matt 7:7 Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you:
8 For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened.
KJV
Luke 8:9-11
9 And his disciples asked him, saying, What might this parable be?
10 And he said, Unto you it is given to know the mysteries of the kingdom of God: but to others in parables; that seeing they might not see, and hearing they might not understand.
11 Now the parable is this: The seed is the word of God.
KJV
Matt 13:14-16
14 And in them is fulfilled the prophecy of Esaias, which saith, By hearing ye shall hear, and shall not understand; and seeing ye shall see, and shall not perceive:
15 For this people's heart is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes they have closed; lest at any time they should see with their eyes, and hear with their ears, and should understand with their heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them.
16 But blessed are your eyes, for they see: and your ears, for they hear.
KJV
John 8:43
43 Why do ye not understand my speech? even because ye cannot hear my word.
KJV

It is only by the Spirit of God indwelling us that we can receive the Word as the TRUTH, THE WHOLE TRUTH AND NOTHING BUT THE TRUTH.

Last edited by afaithfulone4u; 11-12-2013 at 10:14 AM.. Reason: adding to

Old 11-12-2013, 10:40 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,821,720 times
Quote:

Simple answer... but it's easy to say and hard to do.

James 1:22 "Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says".

it doesn't matter your faith, to believe Judeo/Christian virtues/values as a philosophy. Jesus left a model of living for the world to follow. Even if you do not subscribe to Christianity live like Jesus and you will find that motion produces emotion... live it and then you'll believe it, 'cause it works. Too many need to feel it to believe it... I say, do it (motionn) and you'll believe it (emotion).

An ole preacher once told me... "if'n ya ain't livin' it, you ain't belivein' it". Dirt road logic at it's best. Way too many internet Christians study the word and turn into Pharisee's 'cause they have knowledge... but lack wisdom. No one is justified by knowledge... or by cut and pasting. Very, very few live it, even less do it, and fewer yet faithfully execute His will, but all fail somewhere. The very smallest group serve others... in a way others need serving. Pounding someone over the head with our Bible is not serving.

...just sayin'

Old 11-12-2013, 06:23 PM

3,055 posts, read 2,929,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afaithfulone4u View Post
Can I say that you may be talking about verses that SEEM to contradict one another? That is a major reason carnal man rejects the Word of God as truth, because it does not line up they say.
But be assured that the issue is not with the Word of God, it is with the readers eye sight.
I do not mean that you need glasses, I mean that you are viewing the Word with the same eyes that those who can not see the spiritual understandings that Jesus said was given to those who HAVE THE RIGHT HEART ATTITUDE towards God. Meaning that you are reading the Bible looking for flaws in it and not seeking to KNOW TRUTH.
The Word of God is as a two-edged sword. This means there are two sides, a natural understanding of the stories written in the Bible. Then there is the spiritual truth understood in ALLEGORIES, PARABLES, that give us the TRUE understanding and it is NOT given to the scoffer, those seeking to prove the Bible as a lie or the lazy reader.

So just repent of your skepticism and:
You express the things I wish to say so well. I may add onto it from my own perspective and understanding this: In my opinion, there is no act of lobotomization which must occur in order to believe the truth of Scripture. One doesn't have to cut away logic and reason from one's mind and say (and most likely not completely be in truth when speaking thusly): "Yes! Scripture makes complete and perfect sense to my mind and there are no discrepancies which I can detect, nothing at all contradictory--everything in it's as clear as the noon-day sun, my goodness!"

Rather, one must put one's trust in God. One must cease from the idolatry of reason, the worship of demanding to understand all and everything and trust that God has provided truth for us and not the world. If one does not know humility, Christ has not entered that person's heart. If the Bible were to be explained to someone who demands it to stand up to their almighty sense of reason, and they were to become convinced of it via that method, they would be no closer to having a relationship with Christ. One must become convicted of their status as a sinner before God and submit themselves before the Cross. Only then can one understand that love for God is the beginning of knowledge.

Old 11-12-2013, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basiliximab View Post

Rather, one must put one's trust in God. One must cease from the idolatry of reason, the worship of demanding to understand all and everything and trust that God has provided truth for us and not the world.
Idolatry of reason?

What?

If there is a god and he gave you a brain, why in the world would you not use it as opposed to brush it aside through the use of an arguably disparaging word?

Quote:
If one does not know humility, Christ has not entered that person's heart. If the Bible were to be explained to someone who demands it to stand up to their almighty sense of reason, and they were to become convinced of it via that method, they would be no closer to having a relationship with Christ.
If the bible can't explain itself but needs to be understood by code, it is useless.

Quote:
One must become convicted of their status as a sinner before God and submit themselves before the Cross. Only then can one understand that love for God is the beginning of knowledge.
Two words.

Horse pucky

Old 11-12-2013, 08:44 PM

2,817 posts, read 3,463,489 times
I never heard of an atheist that studied the bible so much. What was your reason for so much study? And did you pray prior? That is kinda like a joke. I know you did not pray.
You seem like an interesting person.

Old 11-12-2013, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torpedos View Post
I never heard of an atheist that studied the bible so much. What was your reason for so much study? And did you pray prior? That is kinda like a joke. I know you did not pray.
You seem like an interesting person.
My ex turned fundie... SDA. I was trying to understand her perspective.

It didn't work.

I am a history buff so understand issues like original documents, corroborating evidence and archeology. The bible stories fail on all those fronts, never mind the internal discrepancies.

Old 11-12-2013, 09:11 PM

2,817 posts, read 3,463,489 times
You just didn't wanna give up your Saturdays huh?

Old 11-12-2013, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torpedos View Post
You just didn't wanna give up your Saturdays huh?
Lol. And Mondays (bible study), Tuesday (women's group), Wednesday (small group), Thursday (mission work) and the occasional Friday with who the heck knows what.

Yeah, the transformation was a real joy to behold.

Old 11-12-2013, 09:59 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,201,874 times
Quote:

At this point? None. I've come to he conclusion that God is God and I am not. In context all of scripture testifies to his greatness, his love, his holiness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity