Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 07:44 PM

7,413 posts, read 6,241,369 times

Advertisements

One of my weaknesses is being extremely cheap when it comes to spending money. I get a headache and tight jawed when I need to pay bills. Bills and not having enough money keep me up at night.

Three years ago we were literally sinking in debt. We weren't making enough, there was more money going out than coming in. I had been struggling with the idea of just giving awa7 money that we don't even have for ourselves. I thought how can I tithe if i'm sinking in debt myself and there are more bills than income? However, I was shown this verse:

Bring all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be food in My house,
and try Me now in this, says the Lord of hosts,
If I will not open for you the windows of heaven
and pour out for you such blessing
that there will not be room enough to receive it.

After being cheap my entire life, I decided for the first time to tithe. It was a very small amount because our bills were 2200 a month and we only made 1300 a month (losing our house, lost two cars to accidents, lost my job to illness). I think God was pushing me into a corner with the finances. I somehow found the faith to tithe. It was just a small amount, 20$, but I wrote the check in faith and mailed it out. I was counting on God to be true to his word.

The very next day, we received a 200$ check in the mail for an overpayment on our insurance. We have never received any check from our insurance company for overpayment, nor were we aware that we had overpaid, but the check had come the very next day after sending out my tithe.

God put it on my heart at that time to give and to test him, and he came through for me by multiplying my small tithe by 10. That is what was communicated to me during that time.

Right after that, our income doubled and we are able to not only pay off some of our debt, but have extra left over. We were even able to buy a newer more reliable car, and move to a more desirable neighborhood. I have been tithing ever since.

I need to go to the next level. I want to give the entire 10% of our income. I am a little scared because we still are in debt and that extra money could be used towards that, but I really think its time to take that leap.

Anyone else have any tithing stories? I've heard from many people that when they started tithing, somehow their bills were paid and they had more than they needed as opposed to the times they didn't tithe. I really think this is a miracle, and a promise that God keeps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2013, 08:29 PM

264 posts, read 351,608 times
That is a great testimony!
I give my 10th every Saturday Evening which is really "Upon the FIRST day of the week" which begins at sunset on the Jewish calendar day, as the disciples did when they came together. I understand that it is still the 7th day Sabbath until midnight on our Gregorian calendar and believe that we should be meeting Saturday evening instead of Sunday. Here is our command to give from our income as GOD has prospered us each week. This collection plate offering that is taken up in the churches to this day, is to go to the poor saints in Jerusalem.
1 Cor 16:1 Now concerning the collection for the saints, as I have given order to the churches of Galatia, even so do ye.
2 Upon the first day of the week let every one of you lay by him in store, as God hath prospered him, that there be no gatherings when I come.
3 And when I come, whomsoever ye shall approve by your letters, them will I send to bring your liberality unto Jerusalem.
KJV

Old 11-18-2013, 08:49 PM

2,817 posts, read 3,467,928 times
Tithing as done in the Old Testament is not done anymore. Not even the Jews who follow the law tithe anymore.
However , if you give ten percent and feel God has moved you to do so , then go ahead. Just be aware of any guilt feeling the time when you cannot give 10%. You should not feel guilty if you cannot give. God has blessed me and my family, but I don't tithe. I been blessed because Jesus walked out of that grave.

Old 11-18-2013, 08:54 PM

4,686 posts, read 6,154,148 times
Nice testimonies, but Mal 3:10 is the most manipulated and taken out of context verse in the bible. Mal 1 will tell you what 3:10 is referring to and its not money.

Malachi 1

New King James Version (NKJV)

1 The burden[a] of the word of the Lord to Israel by Malachi.
Israel Beloved of God

2 “I have loved you,” says the Lord.
“Yet you say, ‘In what way have You loved us?’
Was not Esau Jacob’s brother?”
Says the Lord.
“Yet Jacob I have loved;
3 But Esau I have hated,
And laid waste his mountains and his heritage
For the jackals of the wilderness.”

4 Even though Edom has said,
“We have been impoverished,
But we will return and build the desolate places,”

Thus says the Lord of hosts:
“They may build, but I will throw down;
They shall be called the Territory of Wickedness,
And the people against whom the Lord will have indignation forever.
5 Your eyes shall see,
And you shall say,
‘The Lord is magnified beyond the border of Israel.’

Polluted Offerings

6 “A son honors his father,
And a servant his master.
If then I am the Father,
Where is My honor?
And if I am a Master,
Where is My reverence?
Says the Lord of hosts
To you priests who despise My name.
Yet you say, ‘In what way have we despised Your name?’

7 “You offer defiled food on My altar,
But say,
‘In what way have we defiled You?’
By saying,
‘The table of the Lord is contemptible.’

8And when you offer the blind as a sacrifice,
Is it not evil?

And when you offer the lame and sick,
Is it not evil?

Offer it then to your governor!
Would he be pleased with you?
Would he accept you favorably?”
Says the Lord of hosts.

9 “But now entreat God’s favor,
That He may be gracious to us.
While this is being done by your hands,
Will He accept you favorably?”
Says the Lord of hosts.
10 “Who is there even among you who would shut the doors,
So that you would not kindle fire on My altar in vain?
I have no pleasure in you,”
Says the Lord of hosts,
“Nor will I accept an offering from your hands.
11 For from the rising of the sun, even to its going down,
My name shall be great among the Gentiles;
In every place incense shall be offered to My name,
And a pure offering;
For My name shall be great among the nations,”
Says the Lord of hosts.

12 “But you profane it,
In that you say,
‘The table of the Lord[b] is defiled;
And its fruit, its food, is contemptible.’

13 You also say,
‘Oh, what a weariness!’
And you sneer at it,”
Says the Lord of hosts.
“And you bring the stolen, the lame, and the sick;
Thus you bring an offering!
Should I accept this from your hand?”
Says the Lord.

14 “But cursed be the deceiver
Who has in his flock a male,
And takes a vow,
But sacrifices to the Lord what is blemished—
For I am a great King,”
Says the Lord of hosts,
“And My name is to be feared among the nations.

In Mal 1, it shows the priest were trying to offer sick, lame, blind, and beat up animals as sacrifices and offerings and God said would you offer your own governor that, yet you try to offer it to me. Mal 3 states they were robbing God by trying to offer beat up animals instead of their best. And once again it proves that tithe was FOOD NO MONEY.

Christians cant say we are not under the law anymore why they dont have to keep dietary laws and the Sabbath, yet cling to the tithe which was clearly part of the law.

If you make $1300 a month and your expenses are $2200, you are living above your means and giving $130 a month and you cant even pay your bare necessity bills is not wise at all. God doesnt want you to go homeless just so you can give.

Im all for giving, but lets call it what it is under the New Covenant, a free will offering from the heart whether its 5%, 10 %, 15%. You are not robbing God if you give less than 10% even though that is what churches teach, but you are robbing God if you can give and choose to give nothing and keep it all for yourself.

Old 11-18-2013, 10:55 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Well I was in the same situation at one time when I was a Christian and the complete opposite happened - it got worse. I even gave it a year of actually tithing (you know 10%) not just what I felt and then call it a tithe.

Also, the idea that you 'want to take it to the next level' sounds a bit odd - sounds like some formula or video game. How about just go for the ultimate level - give it all and see what wonders appear - you may make 10 times as much .

Anyway, now that I am not a Christian (and it had nothing to do with this situation) I make more than I ever did - go figure.

Old 11-18-2013, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh1 View Post
Well I was in the same situation at one time when I was a Christian and the complete opposite happened - it got worse. I even gave it a year of actually tithing (you know 10%) not just what I felt and then call it a tithe.

Also, the idea that you 'want to take it to the next level' sounds a bit odd - sounds like some formula or video game. How about just go for the ultimate level - give it all and see what wonders appear - you may make 10 times as much .

Anyway, now that I am not a Christian (and it had nothing to do with this situation) I make more than I ever did - go figure.
This is believable.

Old 11-18-2013, 11:16 PM

I just thought i'd share my testimony, and see if anyone has similar stories to share. Thanks for the input from everyone (except Shiloh1), I appreciate it.

Old 11-19-2013, 12:49 AM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
I just thought i'd share my testimony, and see if anyone has similar stories to share. Thanks for the input from everyone (except Shiloh1), I appreciate it.
Oh, so my similar story about tithing is not appreciated now - well I am going to go cry

I remember it quite well because after that year was up I heard a number of teachings on the subject and all of them disagreed. Go figure! Anywhere from you are robbing God, to it's an OT thing, to God does not want you in debt because then you are a slave to the lender so get your debt out of the way first etc. etc.

The 'faithful' will see whatever they need to see.

Cheers!

Old 11-19-2013, 04:07 AM

668 posts, read 691,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
Don't respond to the TROLLS. They are allowed free range on this forum and all they want is to get a rise out of you. Just ignore them.

Giving is what God blesses. We cannot tithe today. Don't confuse the two.

Old 11-19-2013, 06:56 AM

473 posts, read 823,345 times
Tithing is to come from the heart with a true love for fellow man. If you tithe just to be obedient to God or to increase your earnings then you have lost Him and His increase. I tithe without figuring out how much I'm tithing. I give stuff--clothes, furniture, dishes, etc, plus money. When I hear of someone or a group that needs help then I go and buy what is needed and give it to them. I can't give to ALL groups but I try to give to the neediest, those who have no food or water or children who have special needs. My income doubled, I have no need for anything--if I ever have a thought that I might need something it's met almost before I can form the thought. What's even more amazing is that I haven't been sick or been to a doctor in close to four years. I don't get sick. Recently even more doors have opened that will allow me to help others. I tithe and have want of nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity