Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 07:45 AM

37,340 posts, read 28,354,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by centraljersian View Post
Jesus himself worshiped in the Temple. To be a follower of Jesus means to follow his example. "There are six days when you may work, but the seventh day is a Sabbath of rest, a day of sacred assembly. You are not to do any work; wherever you live, it is a Sabbath to the LORD. (Leviticus 23:3) Jesus was obedient even until death on a cross.
What they don't want you to believe is

That scripture also teaches that we are the temple of God and our Heavenly Father is in the temple, no organized religion needed for any who discover this,and better still it's got no control over us at that point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2013, 07:58 AM

668 posts, read 691,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Firstly, I don't necessarily consider organized religion to be bad.

I consider your version of it to be bad.

By far the majority of the people I know and care about identify as Catholic, Anglican, Jewish or some other established religion. I have no beef with them.

My beef is with Fundamentalists. They hurt people.
So tell me how I have hurt people. I suppose trying to lead people to Jesus would be hurting them to you!

Old 12-18-2013, 10:45 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,242,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FundamentalBibleBeliever View Post
So tell me how I have hurt people. I suppose trying to lead people to Jesus would be hurting them to you!
If I thought you really cared about an answer and would give it reasoned consideration, I'd reply.

But I've read enough of your posts to know your mind - and you don't, and you wouldn't.

Old 12-18-2013, 11:04 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,857,742 times
James 1:22

If anyone believes for a moment that NOT attending worship with other believers is the God preferred method of assembly then your wrong... plain and simple.

So the question still remains "can you love God without organized religion"... Can you? yes... do we? of course, should you? maybe... is it the best way? no.

To those who refuse to worship, sing praises, assemble with other believers you will spend time to find/search scripture to agree with your position(s) but do not allow scripture to mold/shape your thinking. That's wrong and you may have to give an account of such. It is for this reason that we must ALL submit to accountability to other believers. When our belief is not subject to iron on iron we will become an "authority" unto ourselves.
We see it right here all the time. It is without reservation I say that most of our self acclaimed authorities on the Bible do not attend church.

Men do not like church. That's a fact, because
Quote:
"Christians were to be gentle, sensitive and nurturing, focused on home and family rather than accomplishment and career. Believers were not supposed to like sex, tobacco, dancing or other worldly pleasures. The godly were always calm, polite and sociable".
This is why men need to have fun together doing guy stuff. If your buddies attend church it sure is a lot easier to join in.

Nothing wrong with car night or football parties, fishing, hunting, ... boy stuff. Go to your church and start a men's ministry. Love God by fixin' stuff for widows, take kids out who have no fathers and teach em boy stuff. Let 'em get dirty, work on things, shoot BB guns, teach them to pray and love God like men...and Don't forget about our servicemen and men in prison.

...just sayin'

Old 12-18-2013, 11:40 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,710,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
James 1:22

If anyone believes for a moment that NOT attending worship with other believers is the God preferred method of assembly then your wrong... plain and simple.

So the question still remains "can you love God without organized religion"... Can you? yes... do we? of course, should you? maybe... is it the best way? no.

To those who refuse to worship, sing praises, assemble with other believers you will spend time to find/search scripture to agree with your position(s) but do not allow scripture to mold/shape your thinking. That's wrong and you may have to give an account of such. It is for this reason that we must ALL submit to accountability to other believers. When our belief is not subject to iron on iron we will become an "authority" unto ourselves.
We see it right here all the time. It is without reservation I say that most of our self acclaimed authorities on the Bible do not attend church.

Men do not like church. That's a fact, because This is why men need to have fun together doing guy stuff. If your buddies attend church it sure is a lot easier to join in.

Nothing wrong with car night or football parties, fishing, hunting, ... boy stuff. Go to your church and start a men's ministry. Love God by fixin' stuff for widows, take kids out who have no fathers and teach em boy stuff. Let 'em get dirty, work on things, shoot BB guns, teach them to pray and love God like men...and Don't forget about our servicemen and men in prison.

...just sayin'
Amen, good post

Blessings

(PS. "Quick-reputation from non-member"...... non-member )

Old 12-18-2013, 05:31 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,449,282 times
Quote:
Men do not like church. That's a fact, because This is why men need to have fun together doing guy stuff. If your buddies attend church it sure is a lot easier to join in.
Some men do not and that is an indication of a lack of love and appreciation for God and His people. Remember King David? He said a day in God's courtyard was worth a thousand elsewhere.

I love being in attendance and ... love camping, car racing, football, etc, BUT it is secondary not primary. When an adult male grows up and has his priorities straight, he becomes a man, until then, he plays but isn't a man.

Old 12-18-2013, 06:21 PM

14,968 posts, read 9,857,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Some men do not and that is an indication of a lack of love and appreciation for God and His people. Remember King David? He said a day in God's courtyard was worth a thousand elsewhere.

I love being in attendance and ... love camping, car racing, football, etc, BUT it is secondary not primary. When an adult male grows up and has his priorities straight, he becomes a man, until then, he plays but isn't a man.
That's great that you do... but my comments and observations are true, not contrived or made up and I'm not judging anyone. I'm making observations about behavior. If Church just feeds the spirit the flesh will wither. Nothing wrong with some food or fun to be part of what connects us. Life is mostly living, not church, so if we live connected as believers we send a powerful message to others. It's a way to preach the gospel without using words (St. Francis Assisi)

God prefers we be together not apart... for two can warm each other and a cord of three strands is not easily broken... and we know it's not about being warm or rope.

This is what's makes a man... 1Timothy 3. but I agree that being devout is part of that equation.

http://gracepointmen.com/sitebuilder..._godly_man.pdf

Old 12-18-2013, 06:38 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,449,282 times
Quote:
That's great that you do... but my comments and observations are true, not contrived or made up and I'm not judging anyone. I'm making observations about behavior. If Church just feeds the spirit the flesh will wither. Nothing wrong with some food or fun to be part of what connects us. Life is mostly living, not church, so if we live connected as believers we send a powerful message to others. It's a way to preach the gospel without using words (St. Francis Assisi)

God prefers we be together not apart... for two can warm each other and a cord of three strands is not easily broken... and we know it's not about being warm or rope.

This is what's makes a man... 1Timothy 3. but I agree that being devout is part of that equation.

http://gracepointmen.com/sitebuilder..._godly_man.pdf
Hi,

Oh in general we are in agreement.

The main point I was making is that "men" are not adverse to assembling together in worship.

Old 12-19-2013, 12:08 AM

23,654 posts, read 17,544,649 times
Reminds me of the story about the Rabbi who noticed a certain man stopped attending Temple. He went to visit him. He sat down in front of the man's fire and they just sat there. The Rabbi took an ember out of the fire and put it on the floor in front of the fireplace but separated from the fire. After awhile the ember went cold and had no fire left in it.

The man turned to the Rabbi and said, "I will be at Temple next week." The Rabbi taught without using words. It was a great lesson.

Old 12-19-2013, 04:35 AM

5,965 posts, read 7,030,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Vizio, I suspect anything other that bible idolatry seems like weird theology to you.
I was thinking the very same thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity