Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2013, 01:47 PM

9,130 posts, read 20,012,483 times

Advertisements

I find it hard to justify someone who speaks things that should knowingly be inflamatory in nature and instigate a lot of hate to be God honoring or Christ like.

Trying to dehumanize, and deamonize a group of people in society is no way to further God's kingdom, regardless of whether or not you believe their activity to be in sin or not.

Old 12-19-2013, 03:10 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,714,086 times
Default Defending freedom of expression

Well, the duck man might have spoken in a manner that would offend some folks. At the same time his ATTITUDE was what any person should hope to receive from anybody else.

People judge us for all sorts of things--our color, our weight, our sexual orientation, our religion---nowhere in Phil's comments did I see he hated anyone for being who they are. That's about the best we can hope for from anyone.

I've spent a lot of time defending the GLBT community from those who seem to think that they are somehow "better" than those folks. We are all sinners standing on common ground and in need of a uncommon Savior. It's how we TREAT others that makes the real difference in the life that anyone leads. So I think the GLBT community needs to give Phil a break and hope a lot more people will at least accept them in the fashion he has. Wanting folks to celebrate your lifestyle when it is opposed to their faith in God is asking for too much.

Phil's words said it all for me:

Quote:
Robertson went on to clarify that as a Christian he doesn't judge anyone on whether they'll end up in heaven or hell. He recounted dark days of his own in the 1970s when he drank excessively and at one point had to flee the state of Arkansas after he beat up a bar owner and his wife. "We never, ever judge someone on who's going to heaven, hell. That's the Almighty's job. We just love 'em, give 'em the good news about Jesus - whether they're homosexuals, drunks, terrorists. We let God sort 'em out later, you see what I'm saying?"
-------
"However, I would never treat anyone with disrespect just because they are different from me. We are all created by the Almighty and like Him, I love all of humanity. We would all be better off if we loved God and loved each other."
http://crossmap.christianpost.com/ne...omosexual-7753

Phil was asked to express his opinion and I think he did it in a fair manner from his point of view.

And no one says a word about his statement of men and women sleeping around with one another as equally "unchristian." Why not? There's a heck of a lot more of that going on than there are people in the LGBT community.

Old 12-19-2013, 04:31 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post

And no one says a word about his statement of men and women sleeping around with one another as equally "unchristian." Why not? There's a heck of a lot more of that going on than there are people in the LGBT community.
I think the difference is the comment about men and women sleeping around is not directed at a subset of the population, but at everyone. It is all encompassing. Where as the homosexual comments are not. You also have to take history in to consideration. Men and women sleeping around haven't had issues with equal rights as a group. Not the same for homosexuals.

All that being said I don't think he should have been suspended from the show. Honestly, anyone who watched any of it all is not surprised by his opinions. He never tried to hide his religious background or his thoughts on what he sees as issues.

Old 12-19-2013, 04:39 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,774,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FundamentalBibleBeliever View Post
A man speaks the truth of God and his faith and the Christ haters attack. Let's stand together with God and join the boycott.

https://www.facebook.com/BOYCOTTAETV1
How about no? He spoke something his employer found offensive, he got fired. Welcome to Capitalism.

Old 12-19-2013, 04:41 PM

Quote:
W

People judge us for all sorts of things--our color, our weight, our sexual orientation, our religion---nowhere in Phil's comments did I see he hated anyone for being who they are. That's about the best we can hope for from anyone.
He did claim homosexuality would lead to bestiality and mentioned rather insensitive comments about certain sexual acts, neither of which were appropriate nor accurate. I think those are what really caused the ruckus.

Old 12-19-2013, 04:42 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
I think at the end of the day he is going to end up taking more heat about his race comments than what he said about homosexuals.

Old 12-19-2013, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
Funny anti christian gets their way,
but anti immorality does not have a say.
and you wonder why the world is going into the toilet.
Who is anti-Christian? Do you believe anyone who disagrees with you on certain matters is not a Christian? There are 38,000 denominations of Christianity and over 2 billion Christians.

Quote:
Sems freedom of speech is a bit lopsided don't your think ?
Freedom of Speech only applies to government censorship. Perhaps you should study how our laws work?

Old 12-19-2013, 04:54 PM

63,810 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
It isn't Christ haters who are attacking, it is humanity lovers.....a Christ-like attitude.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
I find it hard to justify someone who speaks things that should knowingly be inflamatory in nature and instigate a lot of hate to be God honoring or Christ like.
Trying to dehumanize, and deamonize a group of people in society is no way to further God's kingdom, regardless of whether or not you believe their activity to be in sin or not.
I agree with these posts. I just think characterizing the beliefs about sin as "hate" is a bit over the top. They are anachronistic and derived from ancient ignorance . . . but they are not inherently hateful. Many who hold those views are guilty of hate and hateful behavior . . . but not all . . . probably only a small minority. The rest are simply misguided by a religious dogma that retains the ancient ignorance as a sign of faith in God. It reflects a zeal to show faith in God as they have been indoctrinated to do . . . but not hate.
Quote:
Well, the duck man might have spoken in a manner that would offend some folks. At the same time his ATTITUDE was what any person should hope to receive from anybody else.
I've spent a lot of time defending the GLBT community from those who seem to think that they are somehow "better" than those folks. We are all sinners standing on common ground and in need of a uncommon Savior. It's how we TREAT others that makes the real difference in the life that anyone leads. So I think the GLBT community needs to give Phil a break and hope a lot more people will at least accept them in the fashion he has. Wanting folks to celebrate your lifestyle when it is opposed to their faith in God is asking for too much.
Phil's words said it all for me:
Quote:
Robertson went on to clarify that as a Christian he doesn't judge anyone on whether they'll end up in heaven or hell. He recounted dark days of his own in the 1970s when he drank excessively and at one point had to flee the state of Arkansas after he beat up a bar owner and his wife. "We never, ever judge someone on who's going to heaven, hell. That's the Almighty's job. We just love 'em, give 'em the good news about Jesus - whether they're homosexuals, drunks, terrorists. We let God sort 'em out later, you see what I'm saying?"
-------
"However, I would never treat anyone with disrespect just because they are different from me. We are all created by the Almighty and like Him, I love all of humanity. We would all be better off if we loved God and loved each other."

Phil was asked to express his opinion and I think he did it in a fair manner from his point of view.

This is a fair and reasoned defense of what was unwisely said in a media interview . . . especially since they are almost certain to redact the qualifying parts as reported here by Warden. The characterization of Christian views on homosexuality as "Hate" is de rigueur for the media today. I see it more as foolishly retained ancient ignorance and superstition . . . NOT hate. We have no business judging ANY personal human behavior FOR God . . . regardless what we believe about it. We are no good at it. We have enough on our plate to guard our own behavior and attitudes to ensure they reflect "love of God and each other." Sufficient for the day are our secular concerns for maintaining a civil society with fair and just laws, period . . . emphasis on the fair and just!

Old 12-19-2013, 06:05 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,714,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I agree with these posts. I just think characterizing the beliefs about sin as "hate" is a bit over the top. They are anachronistic and derived from ancient ignorance . . . but they are not inherently hateful. Many who hold those views are guilty of hate and hateful behavior . . . but not all . . . probably only a small minority. The rest are simply misguided by a religious dogma that retains the ancient ignorance as a sign of faith in God. It reflects a zeal to show faith in God as they have been indoctrinated to do . . . but not hate.
This is a fair and reasoned defense of what was unwisely said in a media interview . . . especially since they are almost certain to redact the qualifying parts as reported here by Warden. The characterization of Christian views on homosexuality as "Hate" is de rigueur for the media today. I see it more as foolishly retained ancient ignorance and superstition . . . NOT hate. We have no business judging ANY personal human behavior FOR God . . . regardless what we believe about it. We are no good at it. We have enough on our plate to guard our own behavior and attitudes to ensure they reflect "love of God and each other." Sufficient for the day are our secular concerns for maintaining a civil society with fair and just laws, period . . . emphasis on the fair and just!
Mystic, I did go back and review Phil's racial comments. And those were really bad, not for what he said about blacks, but his redaction of a history that I saw in 1962-63 Mississippi. It appears Phil is re-writing history in the fashion of "the holocaust never happened." I think those were quite ignorant comments. In fact, he sounded a lot like my late paternal grandfather---also a native of Louisiana!

But I didn't throw my grandfather out for his benevolent racism, and I'm gonna still watch Phil when he comes back on the show again (I'm not an avid fan--a sporadic viewer at best).

But if someone starts hollering about LGBT folks being horribly immoral on one of these threads, I'll be asking what part of their life falls short of the glory of God--cause that's the one they need to be working on, just as I need to be working on my own. The great injustice perpetuated by many churches is to close their doors to the LGBT who need God as much, but certainly not any more, than the rest of us.

Old 12-19-2013, 06:20 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,360,776 times
Calling All Christians to stand against the oppression?

If, you don't like something, don't be a part of it:

"The poor and unfortunate souls, under da sea of fanaticism."

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity