Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2013, 09:06 PM

28,681 posts, read 18,811,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Actually, yah---he was referring to EVERYONE. He was quoting from Romans 1. It was talking about everyone -- the adulterer as well as the homosexual.

Seriously....take a minute and actually LOOK at what you're arguing about. You'll avoid making these kinds of gaffes.
He was rather misquoting Romans 1. He was quoting it as though all the sins of Romans 1 began and were caused by homosexuality. That's not what Romans 1 says. It says when a man knows that God exists but cognizantly rejects Him, that man is subject to all kinds of sin, with homosexuality being on the list of possibilities.

Old 12-20-2013, 09:12 PM

28,681 posts, read 18,811,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
We are not all Christians. Some of us don't care what your Bible says. Many of us don't believe in "sin" the way Christians do. We are not bound by your Bible. We are not bound by your religion. If you can't make a decent secular argument against gay marriage (which I already know you can't), then you have zero basis on which to ban gay marriage. None. At all. Period.

So quoting the Bible does not lend support to your case in any way whatsoever.
That's true. If a person is not a believer, it doesn't matter what he actually does.

In fact, scripture tells us that it's irrelevant to the Church:

I don't care what those outside [the Church] do. God will judge those outside. You judge those inside.
-- 1 Corinthians 5

Old 12-20-2013, 09:28 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,393,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Maybe it is the gays striking back harder for all the condemnation dumped on them by right wing Christianity?.

The whole thing is a mess, and i really don't want to get involved in it, the only thing i really don't get is why gays and lesbians have to be in your face about their sexuality. My wife and i watching a show last night on the food channel and a contestant on the show had to let us know that he was gay, why ?, why do i need to know that ?. if it something to be proud about, why is it that heterosexuals don't share openly their sexuality and if they did and said they were proud of it, it would cause a huge offense ?.So why can't this guy share his point of view about this subject whether it is right or wrong, when those who are falling all over themselves to condemn him, have no problem sharing theirs?.

I hope my questions are not rooted in ancient savagery.
Heterosexuals openly share their heterosexuality all the time. You just shared your heterosexuality by saying that you had a wife. You just don't notice because you are heterosexual. Imagine if you were a heterosexual living in a predominantly homosexual community and people just assumed you were gay because that was the norm for that area. You got asked if you had a boyfriend or husband almost every day. Are you saying that you wouldn't say "I'm straight. I have a wife".

Old 12-20-2013, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I watch it. I watched an episode last night. (They were picketing Willie.) It's an enjoyable show. Uncle Si is a hoot and a half and, since I have a real soft spot for Vietnam veterans, my favorite. I've never cared for Phil who is, IMHO, dictatorial and humorless.

I'd love to ask Phil his opinion on the sin of gluttony. (Both Miss Kay and Willie obviously enjoy second helpings and Phil is working on a pretty good gut himself.) How's God feel about that sin, Phil?

Last night Phil, who spouts off on all sorts of stuff, talked about watching his wife give birth to his four sons. He said he worried about the affect that would have on his sex life. After I ask Phil about the whole gluttony thing I'd love to ask Miss Kay if she felt respected by her Christian husband after he said that.
I'd like to ask Phil about his double standards and hypocrisy. Like this:

1 Cor 11:14
"Does not the very nature of things teach you that if a man has long hair, it is a disgrace to him"

Old 12-20-2013, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall Gibson LP View Post
As someone who was born and raised in Caddo Parish (where Phil was born and raised) and spent my middle school years in Ouachita Parish (where Phil currently lives) and graduated from Louisiana Tech (where Phil got his Bachelor's and Master's), I've been knowing this moment was going to happen since I saw the first episode. The thing is, I know people just like Phil. In fact, my facebook page is literally a streaming poster of people I know who hang out socially with Phil, Jase, Willy and their wives. I know EXACTLY what is in Phil's heart when he makes the statements that he made as my entire formative years were spent around people like him who were free to express themselves uncensored around a tyke like me. I assure you, his comments were not out of good ol' Christian love and concern. That is evidenced when he went off into the weird tangent of talking about a woman's vagina and a man's anus and comparing gay people to bestiality. Those comments were made to poke fun at and belittle. We come from a culture in N. La that prizes machismo and being tough and conquering nature. Gay people are seen as being "deviant" or somewhat less than human. Phil claims that he "found Jesus" as a young man, but I assure you his opinion about gay people was the same before his road to Damascus moment, so he is not speaking from a place of biblical enlightenment, rather good old-fashioned bigotry and I'm sorry to say, ignorance.

This is further evidenced by his racial comments. Here's a picture of Caddo Parish in the 1960's. First of all, Phil would have NEVER attended school with a black person until maybe by the time he was at Tech (that would have been 4 or 5 at a campus of 8,000). He certainly never had to share a water fountain, bathroom, lunch counter, church pew or bus seat with a black person. Shreveport, just down the road, was ruled by an iron-fist in the form of George D'artois (google him) who was determined that it was not going to be another Birmingham by using tactics that made Bull Connor look like Andy Griffith, all with the enthusiastic support of the white citizens, which I'm ashamed to admit included my parents and grandparents. So, he would have never truly know a black person. If he had, he would have been disabused of his ignorant notion of the happy darkies singing in the cotton field because they were so joyous and godly.

That's not to say he won't come out of this smelling like a rose. He was a successful businessman and extremely wealthy before the show, and based on what I'm seeing on Facebook he's getting deluged with high-fives from people who are thrilled he "told those queers how it is".
Good post. Thanks for the insight...

Old 12-20-2013, 09:59 PM

295 posts, read 359,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
I'd like to ask Phil about his double standards and hypocrisy. Like this:

1 Cor 11:14
"Does not the very nature of things teach you that if a man has long hair, it is a disgrace to him"
He conveniently glossed over the whole gluttony thing too. I guess we all pick and choose.

Old 12-20-2013, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by standingdeer View Post
Do some checking things out THE MAN HAS A MASTERS DEGREE in TEACHING!!!!!!!!
Yet he still spouts ignorant sexist, racist, homophobic nonsense. He should know better, but I guess he is a product of his upbringing.

Old 12-20-2013, 10:22 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,902,805 times
Ignorant in your opinion. Your views are intolerant to me of others beliefs which they have every right to.I'll excuse it to up brings also.

Old 12-20-2013, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Does the bible actually say homosexuals are filled with murder? And if so do people actually believe that?
No. It doesn't. Phil completely mangled Paul's letter to the Romans - which wasn't even about homosexuals in the first place.

Old 12-20-2013, 10:42 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,772,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
How embarrassing for the individual, and the church, that a man in 2013 would choose to hide behind the church as the basis for expressing his homophobic opinions.

I thought we left this sort of stuff behind us in the 60's. Apparently some folks didn't get the memo.
Cute, but not accurate.

While homophobia does exist in this world, the reality is, the majority of people who think homosexuality is a sin are not in any way homophobic.

They are also "not hiding behind the church".

They are simply expressing what they believe is God's teaching on the subject.

Tolerance and respect for the rights of all to have differing opinions is a concept we would ALL do well to embrace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity