Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2013, 06:38 PM

1,311 posts, read 1,529,803 times

Advertisements

Over the years I've heard some Christians say being Christlike is easy, others say it is difficult. What do you think and of course, why?

Personally, for me being Christlike gets more difficult the longer I'm a Christian because the more I learn of him the more I realize what I lack.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2013, 06:56 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,409,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastorALly View Post
Over the years I've heard some Christians say being Christlike is easy, others say it is difficult. What do you think and of course, why?

Personally, for me being Christlike gets more difficult the longer I'm a Christian because the more I learn of him the more I realize what I lack.
It is difficult, though as time passes it should get easier. The problem comes when along with inner changes we don't make the outer ones. Leave those associations, practices, etc that hidner our walk.

It is like an alcoholic who won't stay away from bars.

Old 12-28-2013, 01:02 AM

4 posts, read 2,840 times
Quote:

It is very difficult
Yea, and all that live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution. II Timothy 3:16

We also see in Matthew 5:3-12, Jesus giving the Beatitudes, and if one reads these Blessings, they surely do not sound like any type of Blessing at all. In truth it is too difficult a life for any person, that is one reason God gave us the gift of the Holy Ghost.

By the way you are in good company for the Apostle Paul felt the same way you do, just read of his struggles in Romans 7:13-25.
24) O wretched man that i am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?
25) I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.
Romans 7:24-25
Oh we as believers in Christ Jesus have so much to be thankful for; yes we are still sinful, but the Father sees us as righteous because of what Christ Jesus did for us, II Corinthians 5:21. And when we see our LORD at His Second Coming we will be like Him, I John 3:1-2.

Old 12-28-2013, 04:37 AM

9,690 posts, read 10,024,985 times
It should get easier through the Spirit of Christ , by the fruits of the spirit which Christian need to have for their eternal life , and believers will need to be lead by the Holy Spirit which will have the doors open through own expectation in faith .......... BUT our bodies and the flesh will always have a hard time the closer we move to God , and the challenges of the world can be overcoming and even maddening which needs to let go and ask Holy Spirit comforting , were disappointment of our perfection is undermined in this world

Old 12-28-2013, 05:28 AM

2,422 posts, read 1,451,233 times
It comes down to renewing the mind to your spiritual nature. If we think we can live a christ like from our old nature, it is impossible. After all, this is one of the reasons the Holy Spirit was given to us. To remind of us of who we are in Christ, because we forget.

Old 12-28-2013, 05:46 AM

55 posts, read 63,561 times
You really can’t be Christ like in your own self-efforts. Turning away from sin, going to church and reading the Bible will not get you any closer to our Father. Turning to Him, in all humility and trust will be the beginning. Being Christlike will come from God not you.

Old 12-28-2013, 06:18 AM

1,196 posts, read 754,386 times
Quote:
Over the years I've heard some Christians say being Christlike is easy, others say it is difficult. What do you think and of course, why? Personally, for me being Christlike gets more difficult the longer I'm a Christian because the more I learn of him the more I realize what I lack.

for me it's easy since I've never care to do what others were doing. And I never been one who do what others do, so that they would like me. When I was a teen and someone would say, you're just a coward, because I didn't choose to follow them. I would just so!, i'm a coward! And since I REALLY wanted to learn the truth, I also wanted to follow Jehovah's words. MANY are ok with being a “christian”, because they're STILL doing the many things they did before they became christian ,(Rom.12:2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God). Many STILL have sex out of marriage, get drunk, go places where Jehovah's HS wouldn't be.

Many christians believe they can still go these certain places, and be protected. But the HS won't be there. Jesus told us to follow him and deny ourselves ,(Luke 9:23 And he said to them all, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me). But many christians ISN'T willing to deny themselves. In other words, many christians are selfish. They do what they want and believe they still have a first class ticket to heaven. But Jehovah's words shows if we love the things of the world, we don't love him, or Jesus for that matter ,(1John 2:15,16 and James 4:4).

Jesus wasn't doing the things of his time, and neither were his true followers ,(John17:16They are not of the world, even as I am not of the world), if it applied then, it should apply now. I love trying to follow Jesus, even though MANY say I don't have fun. As though they're around me 24/7. I enjoy myself, and try to do it in a way that pleases Jehovah God and Jesus. I know what they tell me do or not do, is for my best. So it's easy for me, and it's easy for those who straddles the fence. The one's who truly find it hard. Is the ones who's being pulled by each side. These ones want to do right, and satan KNOWS, they want to truly follow Jesus. This is why he put stumbling blocks before them hoping they would fall. peace

Last edited by jojo-50; 12-28-2013 at 06:25 AM.. Reason: the words "size", and words sick together, i sure wish they fix this!

Old 12-28-2013, 06:50 AM

7,321 posts, read 6,930,757 times
The more desperate I become in the relationship to obey Him the closer we become . Ease of the journey is relevant to my willingness to obey .
I make it difficult when I choose not to consult God before doing things.
Pretty much that simple.

Old 12-28-2013, 08:48 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,821,720 times
Quote:

X2

Remeber how the saying goes... from Mark Twain

"When I was a boy of 14 my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand the old man around. But when I got to be 21 it was amazing how much the old man had learned in seven years".

It's like eating the apple from the tree of knowledge... my sinfulness is made clear. I have taken the red pill and no longer experiencing blissful ignorance.

... just sayin'

Old 12-28-2013, 09:06 AM

2,817 posts, read 3,463,489 times
I am Christlike because of what He already did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity