Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2009, 04:18 PM

3,978 posts, read 8,550,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzjamiedawn View Post
The earth orbits the sun, thus that's how the sun "rises". It's explainable, not a miracle. Raising Lazarus from the dead? Turning water to wine? Making the blind see? Unexplainable... a miracle.

Jamie, you are correct, but I am afraid trying to make others understand this is a lost cause!
All the spiritual gifts that were given to the early disciples, to perform miracles, did indeed come to an end when there were no longer apostles to pass them on. The scriptures plainly teach that.
As you said, they were given to confirm the word. We now have the written word, and we are reguired to believe it, without signs and wonders! We are to recieve them by faith, not by signs and wonders!

Old 04-14-2009, 04:23 PM

2,529 posts, read 4,351,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deerdog View Post
Too much Science is involved in it though. As the earth wouldn't orbit the sun if God hadn't made it which is a miracle. Don't you think a baby being born is a miracle if so then they are still needed.
No, I don't think the birth of a baby is a miracle, in the literal sense. Like I said, the word miracle is used too loosely these days.

I think the body and what it does is an awesome design, and God outdid Himself. However, the birth can all be explained.

Old 04-14-2009, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towhee View Post
Jamie, you are correct, but I am afraid trying to make others understand this is a lost cause!
All the spiritual gifts that were given to the early disciples, to perform miracles, did indeed come to an end when there were no longer apostles to pass them on. The scriptures plainly teach that.
As you said, they were given to confirm the word. We now have the written word, and we are reguired to believe it, without signs and wonders! We are to recieve them by faith, not by signs and wonders!

Old 04-14-2009, 04:28 PM

309 posts, read 512,072 times
Quote:
I think the body and what it does is an awesome design, and God outdid Himself. However, the birth can all be explained.
God outdid Himself? God didn't have to do anything or still doesn't have to do anything. Explain a birth if its not a miracle from God? I think in today's society we tend to lose focus on what God has really done and continues to do for us. Whether it be a blessing or a miracle each day. Just sounds like there is too much Scientology behind some of your thinking.

Old 04-14-2009, 04:38 PM

Quote:
God outdid Himself? God didn't have to do anything or still doesn't have to do anything. Explain a birth if its not a miracle from God? I think in today's society we tend to lose focus on what God has really done and continues to do for us. Whether it be a blessing or a miracle each day. Just sounds like there is too much Scientology behind some of your thinking.
I've tried to explain it to you and you're not understanding me. I don't know how else to put it.

A doctor can explain to you exactly how a baby is conceived, grows, and is born.

Can you explain how Jesus raised the dead? Made blind see? Turned water to wine? No. Because they are miracles and cannot be explained.

So Scientology believes a miracle is something that is unexplainable? Guess we agree on one thing.

Old 04-14-2009, 04:48 PM

So let me ask do you believe that the Bible is true if you do then you still believe that we need miracles today. It strictly tells us in the bible about it. Here is a following excerpt about miracles that I thought might help you to understand.
"The Bible tells us that Jesus Christ is the same
yesterday, today and forever (Hebrews 13:8). Now if Jesus performed miracles, healed the sick,
cast out demons, etc yesterday, He will do the same today and forever. Let's get it into our spirits
and minds that God can perform miracles for us. All we have to do is believe and act upon what Gods
Word says. When we do that a miracle will happen in your life".

Old 04-14-2009, 05:46 PM

Quote:
So let me ask do you believe that the Bible is true if you do then you still believe that we need miracles today. It strictly tells us in the bible about it. Here is a following excerpt about miracles that I thought might help you to understand.
"The Bible tells us that Jesus Christ is the same
yesterday, today and forever (Hebrews 13:8). Now if Jesus performed miracles, healed the sick,
cast out demons, etc yesterday, He will do the same today and forever. Let's get it into our spirits
and minds that God can perform miracles for us. All we have to do is believe and act upon what Gods
Word says. When we do that a miracle will happen in your life".
I don't agree that verse confirms miracles still exist today. But I do agree, if Jesus wants to perform a miracle today, He will. Do I think He does? No. But I tell you what, if you show me one miracle (and by miracle I mean something that cannot be explained), I will change my mind.

Otherwise, we will just have agree to disagree. If you feel better believing there are miracles in your life, I am not going to try to change your mind. I told you from the beginning of this conversation, all power to you.

Old 04-14-2009, 06:20 PM

Quote:
I don't agree that verse confirms miracles still exist today. But I do agree, if Jesus wants to perform a miracle today, He will. Do I think He does? No. But I tell you what, if you show me one miracle (and by miracle I mean something that cannot be explained), I will change my mind.

Otherwise, we will just have agree to disagree. If you feel better believing there are miracles in your life, I am not going to try to change your mind. I told you from the beginning of this conversation, all power to you
By the verse that God is the same today as he was then justifies that he still performs miracles. Let me ask is your heart beating if so why because its a miracle that he allows it to beat. Do you know anyone who has had cancer that is cured of it? Wouldn't you say that is a miracle? What about when someone receives salvation don't you consider that a miracle that God still cared for them when they were sinning? I sure do. What about when your cooking dinner for your family and you only fix enough for them but have visitors and they eat doesn't it always seem like there is plenty? I know that happens in my household. It seems your a christian person, so I know deep down you do believe in miracles. As far as believing that miracles occured in my life no I KNOW they do.

Old 04-14-2009, 07:38 PM

3,978 posts, read 8,550,032 times
"By the verse that God is the same today as he was then justifies that he still performs miracles."

By this reasoning you must say God creates all that He created in the beginning every day!

And how about bringing about another flood that covers the entire earth? Is He doing that over and over?

Many of His acts are not ongoing. There are a multitude of things that He did in the past, that He has never done again. Being the same, and doing the same, are two differant things.

Old 04-14-2009, 08:25 PM

I pray for those that don't have the faith and believe that God still performs miracles as I witness a miracle everyday by him allowing me to be alive. I am so thankful and truly blessed that he still performs miracles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity