Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2009, 08:46 PM

2,529 posts, read 4,351,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerdog View Post
I pray for those that don't have the faith and believe that God still performs miracles as I witness a miracle everyday by him allowing me to be alive. I am so thankful and truly blessed that he still performs miracles.
I want to add something. I believe in the power of prayer and believe that if God wants to heal someone, He can. But I definitely believe when He does, He does it...not through someone else.

I do not believe every little thing is a miracle as you do, which is ok, deerdog. I am glad you are happy with believing that way.

Just please don't say I don't have faith just because I don't believe true miracles happen today, or at least not the way you believe it.

Enjoy your miracles. Love God. Don't worry so much that I don't think the sun rising is a miracle. It's all good.

Old 04-15-2009, 04:15 AM

309 posts, read 512,072 times
Quote:
Enjoy your miracles. Love God. Don't worry so much that I don't think the sun rising is a miracle. It's all good.
I don't really worry I just think as a whole nation we leave God out of things way to much and try to put Science among other things in his place.

Old 04-15-2009, 04:22 AM

Towhee:
Quote:
"By the verse that God is the same today as he was then justifies that he still performs miracles."

By this reasoning you must say God creates all that He created in the beginning every day!

And how about bringing about another flood that covers the entire earth? Is He doing that over and over?

Many of His acts are not ongoing. There are a multitude of things that He did in the past, that He has never done again. Being the same, and doing the same, are two differant things
I do believe that God creates new beginnings each day, in that he creates a new life when children are born and when people receive salvation. So yes he does create new beginning every day. Do you think the flood was a miracle? And if you read the bible and understand that it is the greatest history book ever written then you would know that God said he would no longer destroy the earth by flooding but the next time and last time would be from fire and brimstone. No his miracles of turning the water to wine hasn't happened again but the healing of the sick has every day.

Old 04-15-2009, 07:10 AM

3,978 posts, read 8,550,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deerdog View Post
Towhee:

I do believe that God creates new beginnings each day, in that he creates a new life when children are born and when people receive salvation. So yes he does create new beginning every day. Do you think the flood was a miracle? And if you read the bible and understand that it is the greatest history book ever written then you would know that God said he would no longer destroy the earth by flooding but the next time and last time would be from fire and brimstone. No his miracles of turning the water to wine hasn't happened again but the healing of the sick has every day.

I certainly do believe the bible, and I am pretty sure I understand the bible! I was not posting about what I believe, but about what you appear to believe.
As for the healing of the sick, I am certain God can do that, if it is His will, but I do not class that with the spiritual gifts that many think they have.
God is all powerful and can do anything He choses to do, and He is doing that everyday. All that we see was created by Him, even to the most minute atom.
We would not be praying to Him for the sick if we did not think He was capable of healing them, but I have never seen a limb restored, or the dead raised. I think what many call 'miracles' are more aptly the providence of God.
The day by day activities that He has set into motion are great and wonderous, but not in the class as spiritual miracles. Only He can do those things....man cannot.
The problem some of us have with the word 'miracle' is it is much too loosely used. The miraculous acts in the NT were things that are not possible to dublicate naturally. God may raise someone from what we consider death, but man cannot. I say "what we consider death" because some who have been declared dead were not dead.

Birth is a marvelous thing, but it is not contrary to nature.

I believe that every breath I take is a gift from God, but it is not a 'miracle'. God can take back His spirit and all creatures will die. We all are fully dependent on Him for our every breath.

Marian

Old 04-15-2009, 07:46 AM

[quote]As for the healing of the sick, I am certain God can do that, if it is His will, but I do not class that with the spiritual gifts that many think they have.
. [quote]
Never said anything about they having anything I said God gives miracles today same as he did yesterday and will tomorrow. It may not be the same but they are still miracles. The bible states that God is the same and I truly believe in that.

Old 04-15-2009, 03:13 PM

241 posts, read 379,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzjamiedawn View Post
If Jesus built His church on Peter, and gave him the keys to loose/bound... did Jesus tell him to pass the keys on? Or was it just so Peter had authority in the beginning of the church?
As it has been stated before, Jesus did not build his church on Peter, but the statement he said. In other words, he is saying, Peter since you are right about what you said, I will build MY church. In verse 19, he talks about the kingdom, which is the church that Jesus said that he was going to build. Now keep in mind the keys (the gospel of Christ ) and the kingdom ( the church ). Peter preached the first gospel sermon on the day of Pentecost and about 3,000 souls were added to the church ( Acts 2:47 ). These keys opened up the doors of the church. To understand this, you have to think about these things SPIRITUALLY NOT CARNALLY. The only authority that Peter had as well as the other apostles, was to preach the gospel of Christ.

Old 04-15-2009, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher c. sr. View Post
As it has been stated before, Jesus did not build his church on Peter, but the statement he said. In other words, he is saying, Peter since you are right about what you said, I will build MY church. In verse 19, he talks about the kingdom, which is the church that Jesus said that he was going to build. Now keep in mind the keys (the gospel of Christ ) and the kingdom ( the church ). Peter preached the first gospel sermon on the day of Pentecost and about 3,000 souls were added to the church ( Acts 2:47 ). These keys opened up the doors of the church. To understand this, you have to think about these things SPIRITUALLY NOT CARNALLY. The only authority that Peter had as well as the other apostles, was to preach the gospel of Christ.
Just want you to know I gave you a rep, but posted it before I put my name on it! I totally agree with what you said. Thank you.

Old 04-15-2009, 04:40 PM

2,529 posts, read 4,351,497 times
Quote:
I agree 100%. Welcome to CD!

Old 04-16-2009, 08:56 AM

241 posts, read 379,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzjamiedawn View Post
I agree 100%. Welcome to CD!
Thanks for welcoming me. I'm glad someone responded. I feel comfortable now.

Old 04-16-2009, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Thanks for welcoming me. I'm glad someone responded. I feel comfortable now.
Hey! I 'responded' too! Just above Jamie!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity