Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2009, 05:05 PM

3,978 posts, read 8,548,547 times

Advertisements

Thank God I am no longer alone here, in my struggle to teach the necessity of baptism!
The young man (young compared to me) who brought our last sunday evening's sermon, was talkng about works, and how so many reject baptism as a 'work'. Of course, he does not think baptism is a 'works'. As I said to him afterwards, it is not a 'work' it is an act of obedience.
It is a commandment, and it does all the things that have been spoken of in the previous posts. Thanks, Jamie, Christopher, Kingchef, and any others who believe what the scriptures say.

I really believe that the biggest and most dangerous lie that Satan is teaching, is the one that so many are believing, about baptism not being necessary!

Old 04-21-2009, 05:19 PM

309 posts, read 511,966 times
Why was Jesus baptized as he did not have any sins to be re missed for.
Ephesians 2:8-9 to find the answer. "For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God
(1 Corinthians 1:14-15 KJV) {14} I thank God that I baptized none of you, but Crispus and Gaius; {15} Lest any should say that I had baptized in mine own name.
Acts 16:31-34 NIV) {31} "Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved-- you and your household." {32} Then they spoke the word of the Lord to him and to all the others in his house. {33} At that hour of the night the jailer took them and washed their wounds; then immediately he and all his family were baptized. {34} The jailer brought them into his house and set a meal before them; he was filled with joy because he had come to believe in God-- he and his whole family.

Old 04-21-2009, 06:06 PM

341 posts, read 688,940 times
Jesus was baptized as an example, yes he was sinless and did not need to be baptized.

Old 04-21-2009, 06:23 PM

2,529 posts, read 4,350,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deerdog View Post
Why was Jesus baptized as he did not have any sins to be re missed for.
As an example to us. Why do you think He was?

Quote:
Ephesians 2:8-9 to find the answer. "For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God
Are you saying Jesus needed to be saved?

Quote:
(1 Corinthians 1:14-15 KJV) {14} I thank God that I baptized none of you, but Crispus and Gaius; {15} Lest any should say that I had baptized in mine own name.
Yes, so? They were saying they were of whomever baptized them. They were in the wrong. What does this have to do with all the verses about baptism?

Quote:
Acts 16:31-34 NIV) {31} "Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved-- you and your household." {32} Then they spoke the word of the Lord to him and to all the others in his house. {33} At that hour of the night the jailer took them and washed their wounds; then immediately he and all his family were baptized. {34} The jailer brought them into his house and set a meal before them; he was filled with joy because he had come to believe in God-- he and his whole family.
Absolutely we have to believe!!! I never said otherwise. There are also verses that prove we have to repent, confess, and remain faithful as well... neither of us dispute those. You only dispute baptism.

Note: they were told to believe and they'd be saved...then they were preached to...then IMMEDIATELY they were baptized. So, obviously when preached to, baptism was taught. Then it was done immediately. Why?

Why don't you explain what you think all the verses about baptism that I posted really mean, if they don't mean what I say they do.

Old 04-21-2009, 06:27 PM

2,529 posts, read 4,350,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towhee View Post
Thank God I am no longer alone here, in my struggle to teach the necessity of baptism!
The young man (young compared to me) who brought our last sunday evening's sermon, was talkng about works, and how so many reject baptism as a 'work'. Of course, he does not think baptism is a 'works'. As I said to him afterwards, it is not a 'work' it is an act of obedience.
It is a commandment, and it does all the things that have been spoken of in the previous posts. Thanks, Jamie, Christopher, Kingchef, and any others who believe what the scriptures say.

I really believe that the biggest and most dangerous lie that Satan is teaching, is the one that so many are believing, about baptism not being necessary!
You're welcome!

Old 04-21-2009, 06:30 PM

112 posts, read 173,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
  1. Hearing -- Jn. 6:44-45; Ro 10:14, 17
  2. Believing -- Jn. 3:16; 8:24; Acts 16:31; Rom 5:1; Heb 11:6
  3. Repentance -- Lk. 13:1-5; Acts 2:38; 3:19; 11:18; 17:30; 2 Cor 7:10
  4. Confession of our faith in him -- Mt. 10:32-33; Lk 9:26; Acts 8:36-37; Rom 10:9-10
  5. Being baptized -- Mk. 16:16; Acts 2:38; 8:36; 22:16; 1 Pe 3:21
  6. Being faithful unto death -- Mt 7:21; 10:22; Heb 5:9; 1 John 2:4; Rev. 2:10
This is what the Church of Christ describes as the "Plan of Salvation"
I was a member there for over 40 years...I can help you on some of the doctrine as others here can too
If the COC believe that you must be baptized to be saved and go to heaven
How about the thief on the cross next to Jesus? Jesus told him today you will be with me in Paradise. The thief didn't get down off the cross and get baptized....I firmly believe if you ask God for forgiveness and confess your sins you will be with Him in heaven, I don't know to many Christians who have chosen not to be baptized after being saved but its not a necessity to get there.

Old 04-21-2009, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzjamiedawn View Post
This is exactly what I was going to say. Deerdog you're wrong in your assumption that only the Church of Christ baptized for remission of sins. Not only does the Catholic church, but I believe the Christian churches do as well, and also many other non-denom churches.

So yes, you misunderstand and are incorrect that we believe only the Church of Christ will be in heaven.
I am a little confused. The catholic church baptizes infants, how can they be baptized for remission of sins when they have no sin and don't even need baptism to be saved?

Old 04-21-2009, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KySS View Post
If the COC believe that you must be baptized to be saved and go to heaven
How about the thief on the cross next to Jesus? Jesus told him today you will be with me in Paradise. The thief didn't get down off the cross and get baptized....I firmly believe if you ask God for forgiveness and confess your sins you will be with Him in heaven, I don't know to many Christians who have chosen not to be baptized after being saved but its not a necessity to get there.
I'm curious, what do you think the purpose of baptism is?

Old 04-21-2009, 06:41 PM

112 posts, read 173,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deerdog View Post
christopher c. sr. Welcome to the board. Let me say this there are Church of Christs in my area that says "We are the only ones going to heaven". Now the Church of Christ that I attended and was a youth leader at believed all christians were going to heaven. Which is what I believe, but the problem came when we got to talking about baptism and my wife taking up membership in my church. She was baptized under the Freewill Baptist and they said she would have to be re-baptized as she was not baptized for remission of sin. They said you are not saved unless your baptized for the remission of sin. Now my point I am going to make is that in reality they really do believe they are the only ones going to heaven since they are the only church that believes in baptism for the remission of sin. Now do you really believe that heaven is only going to be filled with Church of Christ only people since they are the only ones that baptize for the remission of sin. I don't think so. The church I attended also believes you are not saved until your baptized so I guess that rules out all other scripture that says Believe on me and you shall be saved. Now dont think I am against baptism I believe all Christians should do it. Do I believe if you die before your baptized your not saved absolutly not. For it is the blood that saves and not the baptism.

AMEN and AMEN my belief exactly.....The Blood is what cleanses us not the water....I believe Baptism is important and should follow salvation but if you leave this world before you are baptized "I'll see you in Heaven"

Old 04-21-2009, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KySS View Post
AMEN and AMEN my belief exactly.....The Blood is what cleanses us not the water....I believe Baptism is important and should follow salvation but if you leave this world before you are baptized "I'll see you in Heaven"
When Christ comes again there will be those who have not been baptized. They may be in the process of the plan of salvation or killed in a car accident on the way to be baptized. We cannot judge what is in one's heart nor do we know the extent of grace. If one is choosing to not be baptized for the remission of sins I might question that decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity