Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2011, 08:56 PM

2,541 posts, read 2,540,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerdog View Post
Why was Jesus baptized as he did not have any sins to be re missed for.
Ephesians 2:8-9 to find the answer. "For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God
(1 Corinthians 1:14-15 KJV) {14} I thank God that I baptized none of you, but Crispus and Gaius; {15} Lest any should say that I had baptized in mine own name.
Acts 16:31-34 NIV) {31} "Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved-- you and your household." {32} Then they spoke the word of the Lord to him and to all the others in his house. {33} At that hour of the night the jailer took them and washed their wounds; then immediately he and all his family were baptized. {34} The jailer brought them into his house and set a meal before them; he was filled with joy because he had come to believe in God-- he and his whole family.
Jesus was baptized into our sufferings to identify with us but we into His Divinity. Before then, He knew no temptation to sin but after being baptized He went into the wilderness to be tempted of the Devil and proved that by the power of God that we too can be delivered of temptation and live for God if we put all our trust in Him by that same Power and Truth.

Old 10-23-2011, 04:40 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,273,602 times
Thank God that He delivered me from this way of thinking.I was never a part of the church of Christ denomination,but was just as deceived in the way I thought as this lot.

Bible Questions for the Church of Christ - Faith Facts

Faith WORKS through Love Galatians 5:6

Old 10-23-2011, 07:10 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,814,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Thank you for your response to my tithing question. Just one more: did the wine that Jesus made at Canae have alcohol content, or was it grape juice, according to the teachings of Church of Christ?
Most of the young guys that tagged along with Jesus were rebelious and loved to drink - "I will not touch the fruit of the vine - until I see the kingdom of heaven" - sounds like they were saying - there is a time to drink - and a time to be stone cold sober....It might be that when they squared off with the Romans and defied them - that they decieded that sober would give them the edge.

Old 10-23-2011, 07:30 AM

289 posts, read 289,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Thank God that He delivered me from this way of thinking.I was never a part of the church of Christ denomination,but was just as deceived in the way I thought as this lot.

Bible Questions for the Church of Christ - Faith Facts

Faith WORKS through Love Galatians 5:6
I skimmed through this article, but I was really put off by the first paragaph which stated
They believe that their group has restored the New Testament church—"the ancient order." All other groups are in error, lost, and apostate.

Regarding the second sentence, perhaps I haven't had enough experience with people from the Church of Christ but I have never met a member of the Church of Christ who actually believes this. I recognize that individual churches may have something similar to this in their statement of faith, but after questioning numerous leaders in various Churches of Christ I've found that that individual members do not believe this.

Old 10-23-2011, 07:40 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,189,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Most of the young guys that tagged along with Jesus were rebelious and loved to drink - "I will not touch the fruit of the vine - until I see the kingdom of heaven" - sounds like they were saying - there is a time to drink - and a time to be stone cold sober....It might be that when they squared off with the Romans and defied them - that they decieded that sober would give them the edge.
On the day of Pentacost, the disciples were accused of being drunk. Peter denied it by saying it was still morning, not that alcohol was forbidden. This clearly implies that there was some consumption of alcohol in the later hours of the day. Any one who can't or won't acknowledge the common sense meaning of the Bible is either ignorant or has an agenda to distort the truth for human purposes.

Old 10-23-2011, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
On the day of Pentacost, the disciples were accused of being drunk. Peter denied it by saying it was still morning, not that alcohol was forbidden. This clearly implies that there was some consumption of alcohol in the later hours of the day. Any one who can't or won't acknowledge the common sense meaning of the Bible is either ignorant or has an agenda to distort the truth for human purposes.
Jesus turned the water into new wine, not grape juice for a wedding to have a good time because wine makes you feel good but God expects moderation. This is why the Holy Spirit is refereed to as wine. It is written, "No man puts new wine into old bottles" or in other words the Holy Spirit is not compatible to the old life style of sin and wrong thought about Gods ways. Gods ways are with the joy of righteousness like as the wine gives joy, but infinitely much better and eternal in quality like all His Gifts of Eternal Life.

Last edited by garya123; 10-23-2011 at 01:28 PM..

Old 10-23-2011, 01:35 PM

289 posts, read 289,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garya123 View Post
Jesus turned the water into new wine, not grape juice for a wedding to have a good time because wine makes you feel good but God expects moderation. This is why the Holy Spirit is refereed to as wine. It is written, "No man puts new wine into old bottles" or in other words the Holy Spirit is not compatible to the old life style of sin and wrong thought about Gods ways. Gods ways are with the joy of righteousness like as the wine gives joy, but infinitely much better and eternal in quality like all His Gifts of Eternal Life.
It is my understanding that in New Testament times any liquid derived from grapes was referred to as wine. Therefore, it seems to me, that new wine would be the freshest juice derived from grapes and would therefore be unfermented, or what we today would call grape juice.

Old 10-23-2011, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREATDIVIDE46 View Post
It is my understanding that in New Testament times any liquid derived from grapes was referred to as wine. Therefore, it seems to me, that new wine would be the freshest juice derived from grapes and would therefore be unfermented, or what we today would call grape juice.
ACTS 2:14 But Peter, standing up with the eleven, lifted up his voice, and said unto them, You men of Judea, and all you that dwell at Jerusalem, be this known unto you, and hearken to my words:
ACTS 2:15 For these are not drunken, as you suppose, seeing it is but the third hour of the day.

My definition of new wine is taken from the context of the above scripture. It is obvious from this that new wine was fermented enough to get drunk on if you drank enough. I have never got drunk on grape juice nor has anyone that I know of.

Old 10-23-2011, 09:54 PM

16,431 posts, read 22,189,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garya123 View Post
I have never got drunk on grape juice nor has anyone that I know of.
Thank you for your sound reasoning.

"Be not filled with wine, wherein is excess, but be filled with the Spirit..."

The key word here is "excess". Drunkeness is condemned throughout the Bible, but not alcohol consumption. Gluttony is condemned also, but not eating food.

1 Timothy 5:23

Old 10-24-2011, 04:18 AM

9,895 posts, read 1,262,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GREATDIVIDE46 View Post
I skimmed through this article, but I was really put off by the first paragaph which stated
They believe that their group has restored the New Testament church—"the ancient order." All other groups are in error, lost, and apostate.

Regarding the second sentence, perhaps I haven't had enough experience with people from the Church of Christ but I have never met a member of the Church of Christ who actually believes this. I recognize that individual churches may have something similar to this in their statement of faith, but after questioning numerous leaders in various Churches of Christ I've found tt that individual members do not believe this.
I completely disagree with statements like that also. To be honest, I didn't see that when I read the article. I just basically skimmed for info about wine, and quickly posted it up to share.

This reinforces my idea to never post articles on the forum. They are men's opinions. Sticking to the Bible only is the best route. Katie won't be sharing articles anymore. My bad!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity