Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2011, 05:37 AM

9,895 posts, read 1,269,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomtkirk View Post
But there are names ascribed to His church. And He established HIS church. Anybody feel safe starting a church that worships Christ and call it by their name?

NOT ME.

Acts 4:12 "And there is salvation in no one else; for there is no other name under heaven that has been given among men by which we must be saved."

If we are gonna have churches that worship according to the gospel teachings of Christ, would it not be, at the very least, reasonable to have it identify who's church it is? makes good sense to me.

But maybe i'm alone on that...
No, you're not alone! I'm with you 100%.

Katie

Old 11-04-2011, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saved33 View Post
One is naive, sadly mistaken, puffed up and dripping of pride thinking that Jesus is returning for "your church" only. Pride is what got Satan and his angels kicked out of heaven. Think about that long and hard. The 'church' Christ started is built on Him. He is the Rock. His name is Jesus Christ. He did not name His church. He is the Head, and His Believers are His Body.

There were no requirements made for naming a church, let alone be named after Jesus. "Church" by definition is an 'assembly' or 'congregation'. There was the Church of Corinth, Church of Ephesus, the church at Philippi ... one could say that means churches should be named after our region, no? In Revelation to whom did Jesus address His letters to? "To the seven churches in the province of Asia". And how did He end each letter? "He who has an ear, let him hear", "To him who overcomes...". There are definitely members of any given church who are not hearing and will not overcome, including yours (whoever is reading this).

There is not one single 'church' on earth that is teaching scripture/doctrine with 100% accuracy, in Bible time or present time. Were not the Apostles themselves in disagreement over what was taught? And how many visits and letters did the Bible churches receive, to make them aware they were doing this or that wrong? No different than today. Why? Because none of us are perfect!

Even Greek scholars do not come to an agreement on many things of the New Testament. There's a poster here that believes 'their' Greek scholar has it correct. And here the Church of Christ (along with Catholics and Mormons) is saying that they have it all figured out. NO, you don't. Any one church or person claiming to know with 100% accuracy the teachings of the Bible is full of pride.

If anyone who preaches a gospel that does not lead to the Father through Jesus as the Christ and His work on the cross, as Him being your soul savior, would be an incorrect gospel.

The KJV has at least 11 times the word 'unicorn' or 'unicorns'. Do you believe there were unicorns? The word was mistranslated and should be wild oxen. So, if this word was mistranslated, do you think that there might still be others? And not everyone is going to agree on interpretation either. Think about it.

The Bible speaks of the disciples arguing over who was the greatest, and of John trying to stop someone of doing God's work because "he is not one of us". And what was Jesus' reply? See Luke 9:46-50.

"Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God." (1 John 5:1) The believer is adopted into the family of God and is an heir to the inheritance of eternal life.

In love 5hec predestined us to be adopted as his sons through Jesus Christ, in accordance with his pleasure and will— 6to the praise of his glorious grace, which he has freely given us in the One he loves. 7In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God’s grace 8that he lavished on us with all wisdom and understanding. 13And you also were included in Christ when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation. Having believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit, 14who is a deposit guaranteeing our inheritance until the redemption of those who are God’s possession—to the praise of his glory. (Ephesians 1)

Being a member of the family of God and a member of Christ's church are not the same thing, though some may think they are the same. They may think when one is saved and becomes a child of God, he is in the church because he is saved. This is also false. When one is saved, he is born into the family of God. We get into a family by either birth or adoption. "Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God."

One gets into a church by obeying the commands laid down in God's Word and this is by openly acknowledging Christ (receiving the Word), and after he is baptized he is added to the church. "Then they that gladly received his word were baptized: and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls". (Acts 2:41).

They received the Word first, after that, they were baptized and thus added to the church. This verse tells us the results of Peter's sermon. He preached Christ and told them to repent. When they received the Word, they believed on Jesus and were born into the family of God. Then they were baptized and added to the church at Jerusalem. We see that we are born into the family of God through belief in Jesus, and we are added to His church through baptism.

To God’s elect, strangers in the world, scattered throughout Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia and Bithynia
, 2who have been chosen according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, through the sanctifying work of the Spirit, for obedience to Jesus Christ and sprinkling by his blood: Grace and peace be yours in abundance. 3Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! In his great mercy he has given us new birth into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, 4and into an inheritance that can never perish, spoil or fade—kept in heaven for you, 5who through faith are shielded by God’s power until the coming of the salvation that is ready to be revealed in the last time. 6In this you greatly rejoice, though now for a little while you may have had to suffer grief in all kinds of trials. 7These have come so that your faith—of greater worth than gold, which perishes even though refined by fire—may be proved genuine and may result in praise, glory and honor when Jesus Christ is revealed. 8Though you have not seen him, you love him; and even though you do not see him now, you believe in him and are filled with an inexpressible and glorious joy, 9for you are receiving the goal of your faith, the salvation of your souls.

Jesus Christ is the Head. His believers are the "Body" of Christ. Bodies have members (arms and legs - doing His work). He is coming back for His Body, not exclusive members (bodies) in a specific church. In Revelation Jesus is calling for His Body to "Come out of her, my people." Will Jesus the Bridegroom call you His Bride or a harlot and w h o r e?

God saves His adopted children. Christ perfects people, not churches.

You said this same thing in another thread, "We are born into the family of God when we believe. We're added to the church when we are baptized." Could you cite the scriptures you use to show we are born into the family of God when we believe?

I think both happen at the same time.

I'd really like to discuss this idea further.

I think it would help to have a good definition of what "church" is. I'd like to know your opinion. I think you said church is assembly or congregation. Would you also agree that the church is the saved, the called out?

I actually agree with so much of what you say. So let's discuss it further. Would you mind sharing what group you are affiliated with? By the way, I do not believe that only those who wear the name church of Christ are the only ones going to heaven.

Katie

Last edited by MissKate12; 11-04-2011 at 06:02 AM..

Old 11-25-2011, 07:05 PM

3 posts, read 7,202 times
I grew up in Church of Christ - and I despise the belief that women should be silent. I argued with my parents when I was younger -& I knew then - it was VERY wrong. It is a misogynist organization. A cult. And it is very creepy. Women were not allowed to speak, have an opinion, nor teach a child after the age of 12. And by the way - my youth minister (who had to be a man) molested me. So - I have no respect what so ever for the Church of Christ. Some people I knew from the church were good people - just ridiculous brain washing beliefs. I will not allow my son to go there with my parents as a guest. I want him to respect women, not feel he is superior just because he is a male. And no - I am not a feminist Nazi. I believe in equality, fairness, and happiness for all persons regardless of gender.

Old 11-26-2011, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peaceful88 View Post
I grew up in Church of Christ - and I despise the belief that women should be silent. I argued with my parents when I was younger -& I knew then - it was VERY wrong. It is a misogynist organization. A cult. And it is very creepy. Women were not allowed to speak, have an opinion, nor teach a child after the age of 12. And by the way - my youth minister (who had to be a man) molested me. So - I have no respect what so ever for the Church of Christ. Some people I knew from the church were good people - just ridiculous brain washing beliefs. I will not allow my son to go there with my parents as a guest. I want him to respect women, not feel he is superior just because he is a male. And no - I am not a feminist Nazi. I believe in equality, fairness, and happiness for all persons regardless of gender.
Child molesters can be found in all churches, and all walks of life for that matter. Sadly, our world is full of them. I pray you told your parents immediately and the man is sitting behind bars where he belongs. I understand your bitterness about this. I hope you've sought counseling.

If you despise the belief that women are to be silent in the churches, then you despise the very word of God. It is written there. Sadly, there are many things in the Bible people reject. They prefer to do things their way instead of God's way.

I am a member of the Lord's church. I don't recall being brainwashed by anyone, and I certainly never brainwashed my Bible students, nor my own children, for that matter. I did, however, teach them to respect God's word.

Katie

Old 11-26-2011, 06:50 AM

7,593 posts, read 6,084,440 times
Hope everyone had a Good Thanksgiving.
I got the Christmas lights up yesterday outside with the lawn deocs, going today to the church to buy the Christmas tree, tomorrow first Sunaday of Advent already ! WOO HOO
Have a great weekend everyone ! amen!

Old 11-26-2011, 09:35 AM

531 posts, read 479,719 times
Quote:
Where was this church?

Old 11-26-2011, 10:47 AM

3 posts, read 7,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katiemygirl View Post
Child molesters can be found in all churches, and all walks of life for that matter. Sadly, our world is full of them. I pray you told your parents immediately and the man is sitting behind bars where he belongs. I understand your bitterness about this. I hope you've sought counseling.

If you despise the belief that women are to be silent in the churches, then you despise the very word of God. It is written there. Sadly, there are many things in the Bible people reject. They prefer to do things their way instead of God's way.

I am a member of the Lord's church. I don't recall being brainwashed by anyone, and I certainly never brainwashed my Bible students, nor my own children, for that matter. I did, however, teach them to respect God's word.

Katie
Katie- do you believe that women are inferior to men?

Old 11-26-2011, 12:14 PM

63,797 posts, read 40,068,856 times
Quote:
You are following the Holy Spirit who is guiding you to what God has "written in our hearts" and not what men have "written in ink."

2 Corinthians 3: 2-6 (King James Version)

2Ye are our epistle written in our hearts, known and read of all men:
3Forasmuch as ye are manifestly declared to be the epistle of Christ ministered by us, written not with ink, but with the Spirit of the living God; not in tables of stone, but in fleshy tables of the heart.
4And such trust have we through Christ to God-ward:
5Not that we are sufficient of ourselves to think any thing as of ourselves; but our sufficiency is of God;
6Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life.

Old 11-26-2011, 02:43 PM

2,541 posts, read 2,541,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
You are following the Holy Spirit who is guiding you to what God has "written in our hearts" and not what men have "written in ink."

2 Corinthians 3: 2-6 (King James Version)

2Ye are our epistle written in our hearts, known and read of all men:
3Forasmuch as ye are manifestly declared to be the epistle of Christ ministered by us, written not with ink, but with the Spirit of the living God; not in tables of stone, but in fleshy tables of the heart.
4And such trust have we through Christ to God-ward:
5Not that we are sufficient of ourselves to think any thing as of ourselves; but our sufficiency is of God;
6Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life.
You have your loved ones written in your heart but when you read a letter from them there is great Joy also. Because your heart is in tune to them their letters do not kill. The letters of the Bible only kill those who do not have Christ already written in their hearts. Enjoy His love letters and please don't discourage others from doing so!

Old 11-26-2011, 02:50 PM

2,541 posts, read 2,541,327 times
Quote:
How unfortunate for you but thank God you are older and wiser now and can find a real body of believers to fellowship with. "Redeem the time" you have now. Women are not inferior to men. We just have different roles to play in the family because we are different, thank God!

I have worked under woman and respected them much because they knew what they were doing. My own mother was a welder during WW11 and was very practical minded in many things as a man and I respected her much. She is in Heaven now, Praise God.

God likens wisdom to a wise women
PROV 3:13 "Happy is the man that finds wisdom, and the man that gets understanding.
PROV 3:14 For the merchandise of it is better than the merchandise of silver, and the gain thereof than fine gold.
PROV 3:15 She is more precious than rubies: and all the things you can desire are not to be compared unto her.
PROV 3:16 Length of days is in her right hand; and in her left hand riches and Honor.
PROV 3:17 Her ways are ways of pleasantness, and all her paths are peace.
PROV 3:18 She is a tree of life to them that lay hold upon her: and happy is every one that retains her."

Peace and a New Life for you!

Last edited by garya123; 11-26-2011 at 03:09 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity