Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2011, 12:14 PM

14,883 posts, read 17,164,304 times

Advertisements

I am thankful that I had the opportunity to be a part of congregations which are referred to as the church of Christ because I believe that God was helping me to learn some things and also used some of the teachings and beliefs to bring me to where I am today. For example twenty to thirty years ago, I was tormented and hopeless when I believed that the majority of people would be lost forever because they had not been baptized as the church of Christ teaches. Lost = everlasting hell and so as I prayed about this and studied the scriptures more, God opened my heart to see that His plan and purpose includes the salvation of all. Now I know that He is a God whose love will never fail to reach even one. I feel that without the experience of being in the church of Christ, I may not have been prompted to study this out and to seek the Lord on this. God bless.

Old 12-23-2011, 12:30 PM

9,895 posts, read 1,272,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaBrown View Post
HI Katie, although I love and am encouraged and blessed by acapella services, I also love, am encouraged and am blessed by any service where God is being lifted up and glorified, including those who have instrumental music. I feel now that there are many things that are not authroized in the NT scriptures that we use in the services such as having church buildings, using hymnals, using a pulpit, using videos to teach and such. The important thing is that we are encouraging one another, growing, and lifting Him up in worship. This is what would be unacceptable, singing and making melody in our hearts without having the right spirit. God bless.
Singing is a part of worship. Buildings, song books and pulpits are not. They are only tools. Tools don't need authorization by God but things pertaining to organization and worship do.

Blessing to you.

Kate

Old 12-23-2011, 12:36 PM

So would you see musical instruments as tools also, Kate? If you are singng and a musical instrument is also playing, that does not prevent you from singing and making melody in your heart to worship God, does it? We use song books when we sing in worship. Just asking. God bless.

Last edited by ShanaBrown; 12-23-2011 at 12:44 PM..

Old 12-23-2011, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaBrown View Post
So would you see musical instruments as tools also, Kate? If you are singng and a musical instrument is also playing, that does not prevent you from singing and making melody in your heart to worship God, does it? We use song books when we sing in worship. Just asking. God bless.
No I see musical instruments as a substitution for what should be people singing praises to God. What ends up happening in many churches is that you have a piano or organ playing and only a choir singing. It becomes entertainment. Some even have bands. The church down the road has a rock band and people dance. None of that is authorized in the NT. But if that's what people choose to do, they can. It's just not for me. And if you are okay with what you do, then who am I to tell you different. I can only do what I believe is the right thing and I am no one's judge. Thank God! That too big a job for me. I always say but for the grace of God go I. I pray each day that I am doing things in accordance to God's word.

Merry Chritmas to you Shana. My daughter in law is a Shana also. Pretty name.

Katie

Old 12-23-2011, 09:04 PM

2,529 posts, read 4,352,080 times
I was a member of the cofC for 10 years as a Christian, and was raised in it as a child. While I LOVE acapella music, and personally believe it sounds better, and while I worshiped at a congregation that did not use instrumental music, I always thought it was wrong to condemn others for it's use. I believe it is authorized in the NT.

[SIZE=3]Ephesians 5:19

19 Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord; (KJV)

Colossians 3:16

16 Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord. (KJV)
[/SIZE]

In the Strong's Greek Dictionary you will find this:

[SIZE=3] 5568 yalmo,j psalmos {psal-mos'}

Meaning: 1) a striking, twanging 1a) of a striking the chords of a musical instrument 1b) of a pious song, a psalm. This word comes from psallo (5567) meaning to play on a stringed instrument (celebrate the divine worship with music and accompanying odes). [/SIZE]

Now, most members of the cofC will come back with, the instrument you are to play is the heartstrings. That's their opinion, which is fine, if it ended there as their opinion. It doesn't, however.

Or, as Shana pointed out, they will call hymnals a tool to better help you sing, however, a piano would not be considered a tool to better help you sing. Picking and choosing. One is fine, the other is unacceptable worship.

Old 12-23-2011, 09:06 PM

2,529 posts, read 4,352,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katiemygirl View Post
No I see musical instruments as a substitution for what should be people singing praises to God. What ends up happening in many churches is that you have a piano or organ playing and only a choir singing. It becomes entertainment. Some even have bands. The church down the road has a rock band and people dance. None of that is authorized in the NT. But if that's what people choose to do, they can. It's just not for me. And if you are okay with what you do, then who am I to tell you different. I can only do what I believe is the right thing and I am no one's judge. Thank God! That too big a job for me. I always say but for the grace of God go I. I pray each day that I am doing things in accordance to God's word.

Katie
Good for you Katie! See people, there are members of the cofC who believe this way. I believed the same way when I was a member.

Old 12-23-2011, 09:27 PM

Quote:

Merry Christmas to you too, Kate. Shana is not my real name. I just use it on the Internet I thought it was pretty too. I understand what you mean about entertainment and I agree. I just believe that this can be applied to congregations where there is only singing too. Take care and God bless.

Old 12-23-2011, 11:04 PM

63,815 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Default Carnal concern over worldly things is not spiritual

God is concerned with our spiritual maturity . . . NOT carnal worldly things.

Old 12-24-2011, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzjamiedawn View Post
I was a member of the cofC for 10 years as a Christian, and was raised in it as a child. While I LOVE acapella music, and personally believe it sounds better, and while I worshiped at a congregation that did not use instrumental music, I always thought it was wrong to condemn others for it's use. I believe it is authorized in the NT.

19 Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord; (KJV)

16 Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord. (KJV)
[/SIZE]

Meaning: 1) a striking, twanging 1a) of a striking the chords of a musical instrument 1b) of a pious song, a psalm. This word comes from psallo (5567) meaning to play on a stringed instrument (celebrate the divine worship with music and accompanying odes). [/SIZE]

Now, most members of the cofC will come back with, the instrument you are to play is the heartstrings. That's their opinion, which is fine, if it ended there as their opinion. It doesn't, however.

Or, as Shana pointed out, they will call hymnals a tool to better help you sing, however, a piano would not be considered a tool to better help you sing. Picking and choosing. One is fine, the other is unacceptable worship.
I've never been one to condemn anyone for instrumental music. For me, I've always worshipped with a group that doesn't use instruments. I visited another coC once who did have a piano. I found it to be a distraction and it seemed almost obnoxious. But if that group thought it was okay, then I respect that. Truth be known, as a christian I have much bigger fish to fry. Instrumental music has never been something I felt was worth arguing about. I think the people of my congregation feel like I do. Our fight is against Satan and bringing the lost to Christ. That is what I love about the coC. Each congregation is autonomous and not subject to the creeds of men.

Old 12-24-2011, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzjamiedawn View Post

[/SIZE]

I think a strong case can be made for both sides. I, personally, choose to come down on the side of caution. My reasoning is this. Would it be wrong to sing praises to God and worship him without instruments? Absolutely not. Of this I am sure. Would it be wrong to use musical instruments to worship God? I'm not so sure. So for me, it's a personal
decision.

What I will argue vehemently for is the necessity of being baptized for the forgiveness of sins, worshipping God each Lord's day, and sharing the Lord's Supper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity