Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2009, 11:38 AM

241 posts, read 379,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towhee View Post
Hey! I 'responded' too! Just above Jamie!
Sorry about that sis. Old age is creeping up on me. Where are you and Jamie from? I am down here at Camp Shelby, MS. I attend the Dewey St. church of Christ. I have been there for about almost 11 years. I have been married for 10 years in July with 3 kids whose names are also Chris. I have 2 boys and 1 girl. I am here on active duty and I have been since 2004. I haven't been overseas at this time (thank God). But anything can change at anytime. I am the youth director at the church and I also preach from time to time. Actually, I preached for 2 Sundays in a row just recently. I really like to preach from time to time. I thought I would share a few things about myself.

Old 04-16-2009, 02:27 PM

2,529 posts, read 4,350,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher c. sr. View Post
Sorry about that sis. Old age is creeping up on me. Where are you and Jamie from? I am down here at Camp Shelby, MS. I attend the Dewey St. church of Christ. I have been there for about almost 11 years. I have been married for 10 years in July with 3 kids whose names are also Chris. I have 2 boys and 1 girl. I am here on active duty and I have been since 2004. I haven't been overseas at this time (thank God). But anything can change at anytime. I am the youth director at the church and I also preach from time to time. Actually, I preached for 2 Sundays in a row just recently. I really like to preach from time to time. I thought I would share a few things about myself.
Hi Chris. All 3 of your children's names are Chris? Very unusual!

I'm in Tulsa, OK. I'm trying to find a new church home, but I used to attend 10th & Rockford church of Christ for about 10 yrs. I was married for 18 yrs but have been divorced for almost 3 now. I have 4 kids.

My son in law just found out last night he probably has the position of youth minister at a congregation in Oklahoma City. He's very excited. He hopes to become a preacher someday. He will graduate from Oklahoma Christian in May, and his major was Bible.

Old 04-16-2009, 03:29 PM

3,978 posts, read 8,548,547 times
Quote:
Ha! You think 'old age is creeping up" on you....I am 76!
I live in the Arkansas Ozarks. In Newton county. We 20 acres of woods and live in the middle of it.
We have been married for 52 years! We have one son, and three granddaughters.
My husband is 82 and 1/2. He is spending lots of time cutting our next winter's firewood.
I am the yard keeper and gardener.
The small congregation that we worship with is about 12 miles from us, on top of the 'mountain' that we live on.
Hubby used to preach, lead singing, and lots of other things, but now only serves the table, and leads prayers.
So nice to 'meet' you!

Marian

Old 04-16-2009, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towhee View Post
Ha! You think 'old age is creeping up" on you....I am 76!
I live in the Arkansas Ozarks. In Newton county. We 20 acres of woods and live in the middle of it.
We have been married for 52 years! We have one son, and three granddaughters.
My husband is 82 and 1/2. He is spending lots of time cutting our next winter's firewood.
I am the yard keeper and gardener.
The small congregation that we worship with is about 12 miles from us, on top of the 'mountain' that we live on.
Hubby used to preach, lead singing, and lots of other things, but now only serves the table, and leads prayers.
So nice to 'meet' you!

Marian
I hope I reach that age. I'm only 35. Alot of people say I don't look like it but I sure feel like it. I'm glad to know that I have some strong sisters on my side. Can we respond to any thread?

Old 04-17-2009, 06:20 AM

3,978 posts, read 8,548,547 times
Quote:
I hope I reach that age. I'm only 35. Alot of people say I don't look like it but I sure feel like it. I'm glad to know that I have some strong sisters on my side. Can we respond to any thread?
Certainly, we can respond to any thread that we wish to. Expect to get a lot of flack from those who do not like the church of Christ.
But hang in there. The truth will prevail.

Old 04-17-2009, 06:22 AM

2,529 posts, read 4,350,840 times
Quote:
You bet you can! Jump right in, anywhere you'd like.

Old 04-17-2009, 11:40 AM

I hear alot of people talk about we say that we are the only ones who are going to heaven. My question is, has anyone ever said those exact words or was scripture given and that is the conclusion they got. Because if scripture was given, then WE are not the ones who is saying that, it's God because we are just saying what the bible is saying that's all. People shouldn't get mad or upset about it. We as the church of Christ do not hate anyone because of what we say. We want people to be saved just like we are but everyone has to do what God says just like He says it. John 17 talks about one. God means what He says. Read 2 Peter 3:9. God loves all of mankind. It is His greatest creation ever. He just wants everyone to be one.

Old 04-17-2009, 12:04 PM

When it comes to baptism, it is essential to salvation because first of all, God said to DO IT(John 2:5). This shows an act of obedience (John 14:15). Baptism portrays the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus Christ which is known as the gospel of Christ (1 Cor. 15:1-4) and this is God's saving power today (Rom.1:16). An important part of baptism is the coming up out of the water, this is the resurrection. 1 Cor. talks about the resurrection of the dead and also of Christ himself. Even though did not have any sins but this is an example for us today to do. Keep this in mind 1 Cor. 15:14, 17. I want to point out two things in these two verses. It talks about if Christ had not risen, then our preaching of the gospel would be in vain (vs. 14) and also our FAITH being in vain and if our FAITH be in vain, then we would be in our sins (vs. 17). So for us not to be in our sins, we must rise from the watery grave of baptism just like Christ rose from the grave. Follow this example, and you would have obeyed God.

Old 04-18-2009, 06:28 AM

309 posts, read 511,966 times
christopher c. sr.
Quote:
I hear alot of people talk about we say that we are the only ones who are going to heaven. My question is, has anyone ever said those exact words or was scripture given and that is the conclusion they got. Because if scripture was given, then WE are not the ones who is saying that, it's God because we are just saying what the bible is saying that's all. People shouldn't get mad or upset about it.
Welcome to the board. Let me say this there are Church of Christs in my area that says "We are the only ones going to heaven". Now the Church of Christ that I attended and was a youth leader at believed all christians were going to heaven. Which is what I believe, but the problem came when we got to talking about baptism and my wife taking up membership in my church. She was baptized under the Freewill Baptist and they said she would have to be re-baptized as she was not baptized for remission of sin. They said you are not saved unless your baptized for the remission of sin. Now my point I am going to make is that in reality they really do believe they are the only ones going to heaven since they are the only church that believes in baptism for the remission of sin. Now do you really believe that heaven is only going to be filled with Church of Christ only people since they are the only ones that baptize for the remission of sin. I don't think so. The church I attended also believes you are not saved until your baptized so I guess that rules out all other scripture that says Believe on me and you shall be saved. Now dont think I am against baptism I believe all Christians should do it. Do I believe if you die before your baptized your not saved absolutly not. For it is the blood that saves and not the baptism.

Old 04-18-2009, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerdog View Post
christopher c. sr. Welcome to the board. Let me say this there are Church of Christs in my area that says "We are the only ones going to heaven". Now the Church of Christ that I attended and was a youth leader at believed all christians were going to heaven. Which is what I believe, but the problem came when we got to talking about baptism and my wife taking up membership in my church. She was baptized under the Freewill Baptist and they said she would have to be re-baptized as she was not baptized for remission of sin. They said you are not saved unless your baptized for the remission of sin. Now my point I am going to make is that in reality they really do believe they are the only ones going to heaven since they are the only church that believes in baptism for the remission of sin. Now do you really believe that heaven is only going to be filled with Church of Christ only people since they are the only ones that baptize for the remission of sin. I don't think so. The church I attended also believes you are not saved until your baptized so I guess that rules out all other scripture that says Believe on me and you shall be saved. Now dont think I am against baptism I believe all Christians should do it. Do I believe if you die before your baptized your not saved absolutly not. For it is the blood that saves and not the baptism.
Thanks for welcoming me. Yes, I believe that ONLY Christians will go to heaven and these people are from the church of Christ but everyone from the church of Christ WILL NOT go. Yes, I believe that you must be baptized to be saved because the bible says that this is the ONLY way to get rid of sins (Acts 2:38, 22:16) and other scriptures. Yes, the blood is what saves but you must come in contact with the blood and the blood is in the water. Remember when the soldiers pierced Jesus in the side, forthwith came out BLOOD AND WATER. I know people use Rom. 10:13 to say you don't have to be baptized to be saved but the word has to be rightly divided. Those people stop at that one verse when they need to consider the other verses that follow. This is not to be taken LITERALLY. You call on the name of the Lord in obedience, not through prayer or just saying Lord save me. You have to get up and do something (Acts 22:16).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity