Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2009, 04:50 PM

3,067 posts, read 4,104,406 times

Advertisements

No, the name is a moot point...
It's the person you worship as Lord, that is the only important matter...

The name is moot

Old 06-05-2009, 07:18 PM

309 posts, read 512,191 times
Quote:
The church of Christ beliefs are not traditional, they are doctrine. Denominational churches are the ones who teach traditions and man made doctrine. When you study the bible, the book of Acts shows when the church started and every book afterwards is written to the church. You might ask which church? The one that Jesus said that He was going to build and the one that He did build. And when people try to use the bible for these man made churches, it doesn't work. That's why so many people don't understand some of the things that we teach. People need to understand how the church operated when it first began. You must start from the beginning. You can't be taught wrong and baptized right. Your teaching must be right in order for your baptism is right (Acts 19:1-5). Baptism was and is for the church that is by Jesus and not for man made churches. When people were baptized back then, what church were they added to (Acts 2:47)? Methodist, Baptist, Catholic, etc? None of these churche were not there at that time. Man started these churches. Just do some research.
Nope im sorry but you cannot tell me that communion is not traditional for CofC. As much as I love communion it is traditional for them to take it every Sunday. And its also traditional that they don't raise holy hands to worship and how every Sunday the church service follows the same routine. They are not the only church that is like that but they are one.

Old 06-06-2009, 12:50 AM

241 posts, read 379,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deerdog View Post
Nope im sorry but you cannot tell me that communion is not traditional for CofC. As much as I love communion it is traditional for them to take it every Sunday. And its also traditional that they don't raise holy hands to worship and how every Sunday the church service follows the same routine. They are not the only church that is like that but they are one.
Sure I can and you don't have to be sorry. It is not traditional, it is by example. This is one of the ways that the bible teaches us. The other two ways are by command and necessary inference. If you are going to say that it is traditional, then everything that God commanded people to do every so often is traditional ( Sabbath Day, tithing, worshipping, and many other things). Don't you know that the NT is a pattern or example that we follow. Whatever and whenever the church did something then, we try to do it now (1 Tim. 1:16). I believe that there are some traditions that we do follow but it doesn't matter as long as it is scripture (2 Thess. 2:15). There is a difference between traditions of God and traditions of men. I choose traditions of God.

Old 06-06-2009, 10:52 AM

It is tradition that communion is taken every Sunday as it is not commanded for us to do every Sunday. The Bible says as oft as we take it take it in remembrance of him. Does not say every Sunday take it. There is not a scripture in the bible that says take communion every Sunday it is by Tradition that it is taken.. You know I used to believe the same thing until I started reading the bible for myself and asking God to show me.

Old 06-06-2009, 01:53 PM

341 posts, read 689,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towhee View Post
"The name is a moot point"

Acts 4:12 " Nor is there salvation in any other, for there is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved."

I do not know why this would not apply to the name on the building where we worship Him ????

You can continue to call the church of Christ a "denomination" , but that does not make it so.

As to the 'silliness" of not having instrumental music in our worship, I would much rather do as the early church did, than to add to or take away from that doctrine. I can enjoy music anywhere else.

Old 06-06-2009, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanMolstad View Post
No, the name is a moot point...
It's the person you worship as Lord, that is the only important matter...

The name is moot
You don't think the Lord's name should be on the building?

Old 06-06-2009, 02:12 PM

Quote:
The communion is not traditional. It is done because Jesus said do this in remembrance of me. The example was on the first day of the week. I want to remember His sacrafice for me every week. Who says no CofC raises their holy hands. I've seen our elders anoint one with oil while they were in the hospital. Somethings may not be practiced, but they wouldn't be condemned. Somethings become traditional like the order of worship-announcements, 3 songs, a prayer, one song, communion, offerin, sermon, song, invitation, closing prayer for example. Can you show me scripturally where this is wrong? There is nothing wrong with tradition unless it goes against scripture. This is one example and every CofC I attend does it alittle different since we are not a denomination.

Old 06-06-2009, 03:44 PM

3,067 posts, read 4,104,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4beanie View Post
You don't think the Lord's name should be on the building?
The name is moot...

(Umm, how shall I say this?)

Ok, I got it.
I dont know if you have ever run into one of the Holy Name christians?
They are the ones who teach that God can only be correctly addressed by the use of the correct name, and as that is something like YHVH, its hard to say.

I listen to their teachings and cant help but laugh at them.
I got to also ask them, "You guys dont think God gets his mail if it's got a wrong address?"...

Well I think the same about anyone who tries to tell another christian that only one church name is allowed...
it's a silly teaching, has nothing to do with the Christian Church.

If you want to know if you are going to the correct christian church, forget the sign out in the lawn and pay close attention to the teachings inside the door and the effect such teachings have on the people.

Old 06-06-2009, 03:48 PM

241 posts, read 379,402 times
Quote:
It is tradition that communion is taken every Sunday as it is not commanded for us to do every Sunday. The Bible says as oft as we take it take it in remembrance of him. Does not say every Sunday take it. There is not a scripture in the bible that says take communion every Sunday it is by Tradition that it is taken.. You know I used to believe the same thing until I started reading the bible for myself and asking God to show me.
No, communion is not traditional just because it is taken every Sunday. No, the bible does not say that they took it every Sunday and it didn't say that they didn't take it every Sunday. But since they took it on the first day of the week and every week has a first day, we do the same thing. I would like to remember the death of Christ through communion every Sunday. I ask you this, how do you know that oft does not mean every Sunday? I believe this is a case where it goes a little further than what we are discussing. How often would you want Christ to remember you? He blesses us everyday and that is more than once every week. Are you saying that this is wrong or you just believe that it is traditional?

Old 06-06-2009, 04:03 PM

Quote:
No, communion is not traditional just because it is taken every Sunday. No, the bible does not say that they took it every Sunday and it didn't say that they didn't take it every Sunday. But since they took it on the first day of the week and every week has a first day, we do the same thing. I would like to remember the death of Christ through communion every Sunday. I ask you this, how do you know that oft does not mean every Sunday? I believe this is a case where it goes a little further than what we are discussing. How often would you want Christ to remember you? He blesses us everyday and that is more than once every week. Are you saying that this is wrong or you just believe that it is traditional?
Again I see nothing wrong with taking Communion every Sunday I love it. I just dont see where we should feel like the only ones that is doing the right thing by taking communion is people who go to a CofC. I am blessed every millisecond of everyday as my heart continues to beat and the good Lord has not taken that from me. Now I remember his death everyday and every time I pray but that does not mean that I am going to take communion then. I have the Lord in my heart and I do not feel persecuted every Sunday that I dont take communion. Again your missing the point on the tradition I am not saying communion is a tradition I am saying taking it every Sunday is a tradition just like churches who only take it once and twice a year at certain times is a tradition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity