Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2009, 08:18 PM

309 posts, read 511,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher c. sr. View Post
What scripture did you get that from? There were no such thing as a deacon under the OT. You will not even find the word deacon. Deacons did not come into effect until the NT because that's when the church came also and they were needed to assist in the church. A woman does not even qualify to be a deacon, bishop, pastor, or elder because these offices require that one must be the husband of one wife (1 Tim. 3:12). A preacher does not have to be married (Paul himself wasn't married), but the woman wasn't given that leadership role.
Sorry for the confusion it was a very long day and late night after revival and I apologize but I got the name wrong and just now noticed it. Rebekah was not the deacon but Phebe was the deacon in the bible. Any questions just ask and I will get back to you but once again I am sorry for the confusion and wrong name.

Old 08-28-2009, 11:27 PM

241 posts, read 379,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deerdog View Post
Sorry for the confusion it was a very long day and late night after revival and I apologize but I got the name wrong and just now noticed it. Rebekah was not the deacon but Phebe was the deacon in the bible. Any questions just ask and I will get back to you but once again I am sorry for the confusion and wrong name.
That's alright. Phebe was not a deacon. As I said before, she wouldn't be able to qualify according to 1 Tim. 3:12. She was a servant or helper in the church. And there is no such thing as a deaconness because it's not even found in the bible at all. I mentioned this because some people use this terminology.

Old 08-29-2009, 06:49 AM

309 posts, read 511,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher c. sr. View Post
That's alright. Phebe was not a deacon. As I said before, she wouldn't be able to qualify according to 1 Tim. 3:12. She was a servant or helper in the church. And there is no such thing as a deaconness because it's not even found in the bible at all. I mentioned this because some people use this terminology.
She was a woman deacon of the church at Cenchrea in Romans 16:1. As Paul appointed her to the position. A deacon is translated from the word diakonos which means servant. It is used 25 times actually in the NT to translate servant or minister.

Old 08-29-2009, 11:47 AM

63,797 posts, read 40,068,856 times
Quote:
She was a woman deacon of the church at Cenchrea in Romans 16:1. As Paul appointed her to the position. A deacon is translated from the word diakonos which means servant. It is used 25 times actually in the NT to translate servant or minister.
Churchians are way too carnal and focused on things of this world . . . like status. Cast off these primitive concerns and focus on Jesus and each other in LOVE. There is NO worldly church . . . just us Christians.

Old 08-29-2009, 12:13 PM

241 posts, read 379,230 times
Quote:
That might be true but that doesn't mean she was a deacon. You can't get around the qualifications. Paul himself was a servant of Christ (Rom. 1:1) but he wasn't a deacon. The bible never gave any indication that he was married or had children, which are qualifications of a deacon. He was a preacher, teacher, and an apostle (2 Tim.1:11).

Old 08-30-2009, 09:51 PM

4 posts, read 6,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanMolstad View Post
Yes....
Just believe...
Thats it...the trip is over and you have passed from death to life.

If you believe in Jesus Christ and that God raised him from the dead you are saved.
If you do not believe, the sins in your life have already condemned you.
---------------------------
Another way to think about this...
In my Bible class we were once challenged to find the heart of the Christian faith.

Here is the question my bible teacher asked my class:
What is the one thing in the Bible that if it is not true, then it doesn't really matter what else is true or not in the bible, because your faith is still pointless?

Or....another way to ask that same question.

What part of the bible has to be true for the Christian faith to go on even if all the other parts of the Bible are a big fat lie?

I will give you all night to think of the answer....
I'm not sure I understand the question. I'm not able to get on here a lot, so I apologize when I take too long to respond. Sometimes, it becomes a matter of when to withdraw oneself from a conversation that is not really progressing. But, getting back to your question, I guess I don't get what you're asking. Really, there is no one part of the Bible you could take "even if all the other parts...are a big fat lie" because if one part of the Bible is a big, fat lie, then the whole premise of its being the Word of God falls, and you have just another book. So, the question really is not valid, unless I'm missing something. The Bible claims inspiration throughout (2 Pet. 1:3, 20-21; 2 Tim. 3:16-17; etc.).

I don't want to dodge a valid question, so if I've missed something, please explain. But, I do have a question for anyone who would contend that baptism into Christ is a good thing, but not necessary for salvation:

What ONE command of Christ can you leave out (per John 14:15 and Luke 6:46) and still be pleasing to God and go to heaven?

John 14:15 - "If ye love me, keep my commandments."
Luke 6:46 - "And why call ye me, Lord, Lord, and do not the things which I say?"

I will give you my answer; it is an unequivocal NONE. There is no command of Jesus Christ, the Son of God, in Whom rests all authority (Matt. 28:18), that I can simply ignore. Even if I forget that baptism is for the remission of my sins (Acts 2:38), even if i forget that it washes away my sins (Acts 22:16), even if I forget that the Bible even explicitly saves "baptism doth also now save you" (1 Pet. 3:21), I STILL would preach and teach baptism into Christ as ESSENTIAL. Why? Because Jesus commanded it - Matt. 28:18-20; Mk. 16:16. All the wiggling and twisting in the world won't change what Jesus said in Mark 16:16. We need to spend less time focusing on the 2nd part of that verse looking for loopholes and spend more time just doing what the Son of God says do.

Old 08-30-2009, 10:05 PM

15 posts, read 22,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanMolstad View Post
The back end of that sentence sorta counters the first part....
No, the back end does not counter the first part.

You MUST obey ALL that God has said to do to be saved, wherever that may be. The person must believe Jesus is God's Son, and confess that. There must be a penitent person (I would say having a beer would negate that b/c that person is interested in getting drunk, which the Bible clearly says is a sin). There must be water because, as I proved in previous posts (pages 88-92), baptism is a COMMAND of God and his dear Son.

Thank you Christopher C. Sr.

Old 08-30-2009, 10:21 PM

Thank you CC DOLLAHITE!! I enjoy your writings. I'm pretty sure I've heard you speak. I appreciate your work in the Lord's church.

Yes, there is Christ's church in this present world. That is what he adds us to when we obey His gospel. Read Acts 2 when the church began. Hebrew 10:25ff even tells the Christians there to "not forsake the assembling of themselves together, as the manner of some is." Verse 26 says, "FOR, if we sin wilfully after we have received a knowledge of the truth, there remains NO more sacrifice for sins." This tells us that it is a sin to miss the services of the church. If there was no earthly church, why are there letters written to the churches at Corinth, Ephesus, etc? What about the ones mentioned in Revelation?

Also, Christ prayed for all to be unified. We can't all say different things and be unified. Someone is wrong. The Bible is right. We need to read it with an open mind, and let God lead us, not man.

Everyone, read the Bible EVERY day. Make people PROVE to you with SCRIPTURE what they are saying. If they supposedly can, and it contradicts other verses in the Bible, then make sure you've read ALL the Bible has to say on that subject! I promise you, you will be blessed if you will just "prove all things."

Old 08-30-2009, 10:30 PM

Prove that with scripture please. I've never read ANYWHERE that baptism is an outward sign that you've been saved already.

Old 08-31-2009, 04:38 AM

3,067 posts, read 4,103,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccdollahite View Post
Really, there is no one part of the Bible you could take "even if all the other parts...are a big fat lie" .
Again....the questions are:

What is the one teaching or the one story of the Bible that has to be true, and if it is not, then there is no point to how much of the rest of the Bible is true or not?

Another way to look at this same question is this...

What is the one teaching or the one story found in the Bible that if it is not true, then is doesn't matter if the rest of the Bible is 100% true, you still would not be a Christian?

This is a bible study question from my Bible school days...and now yours to think about and learn from
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity