Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2009, 07:51 PM

2 posts, read 4,797 times

Advertisements

I have gone to Church of Christ all my life. But I have also visited other churches when i was at a friends house on a saturday night. Some of the main beliefs that separate it from other churchs are, that we belive that instraments durring worship goes against new testiment teachings, women should not be a amain focuse durring worshp. this does not mean that they have to be completely submissive, and sulent. They can teach classes lead womens Bible studies where there arent men present. My Church has in fact started a conference run by women and it for women, is called Women Walking With God Conference(if you want more information on this go to www.women walkingwithgod.com). Women still have an important roll in the chur but they are to remain in the bacground not the foreground. We also beleive that baptism along with a few other steps is the only way to get to Heaven and without it you simply arent going. We also have communion every sunday.
If you have any more quetions you can mesage me.
Glora Mae 15

Old 09-15-2009, 07:52 PM

2 posts, read 4,797 times
I had never thought of it that way! Very perceptive. Thank you.

Old 09-17-2009, 10:46 AM

3 posts, read 7,179 times
Default to the writer about women not speaking in church

Im a member of the church of christ. I think the problem with people in todays society is that they take the bible and add and take from it what they want. When you read ephesians the fifth chapter it is talking about christ being the head of the church. The bible is also stating that men is the head of his household. So i have one quick question if god dosent give a women authority over a man in the household why would he do it in his church. God never said a women could not say anything in church we pray, sing, and amen when the preacher preaches. The bible gives no spirctural example of a women having authority over a men in the services of god. If you look at every example of a leadership and overseerer of the church it was a man.

Old 09-17-2009, 10:50 AM

Ok i can fill u in

Old 09-17-2009, 11:03 AM

Not true at all the church of christ is not controlling. The truth is we belive firmly and what the bible teaches. Also that the bible is what we should live by. Some people take the bible to make it fit there ways or say that the bibles says this to do what they want to do which is wrong. However just because the men is the head does not mean the women does not have any say so period. Women are allowed to sing, pray with congeration, say amen like everyone else. No bible scripture gives a women authority over a men in the house or the church. Even in the home the bible teaches that you should be one. If someone dosent properly understand the bible they can not teach that which is spirtual unless their spirtual.

Old 09-17-2009, 12:45 PM

63,840 posts, read 40,128,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vdsirmons View Post
Not true at all the church of christ is not controlling. The truth is we belive firmly and what the bible teaches. Also that the bible is what we should live by.
Then you should be called the Church of the Bible . . . otherwise it is deceptive advertising.

Old 09-18-2009, 10:18 AM

159 posts, read 230,772 times
No, because that name is not scriptural. There is only one church (body) according to the bible (Eph. 4:4, Eph. 1:22-23, Col 1:18) and it is the church established by Jesus Christ in Acts 2, belonging to Jesus Christ according to Colossians 1:18, and referred to as the church of Christ in Rom. 16:16. It is not harsh to say there is only one church when the bible says it.

In regards to women, 1 Timothy 2:11-14 says that women are to learn in silence and not usurp authority over the man. If a man is present they should not take any leadership role in the church. In Corinthians 14:34 the bible says they should remain silent and ask questions at home. It is very clear what God wants in His church.

Old 09-18-2009, 11:13 AM

1 posts, read 2,367 times
recently camping with friends who are Church of Christ. No alcohol for sure. Told me too that only members of the Church of Christ would go to heaven. She also wondered about what the OT had to do with the NT. I told her that I thought she would be surprised when she gets to heaven! She also asked me what I thought of women in the pulpit and I told her that I knew they were but that it wasn't biblical.+

Old 09-18-2009, 12:47 PM

63,840 posts, read 40,128,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaltonG View Post
No, because that name is not scriptural. There is only one church (body) according to the bible (Eph. 4:4, Eph. 1:22-23, Col 1:18) and it is the church established by Jesus Christ in Acts 2, belonging to Jesus Christ according to Colossians 1:18, and referred to as the church of Christ in Rom. 16:16. It is not harsh to say there is only one church when the bible says it.
This is the Church of the Bible . . . Jesus had no bible.
Quote:
In regards to women, 1 Timothy 2:11-14 says that women are to learn in silence and not usurp authority over the man. If a man is present they should not take any leadership role in the church. In Corinthians 14:34 the bible says they should remain silent and ask questions at home. It is very clear what God wants in His church.
It is very clear what chauvinistic men who deemed women chattel wanted in THEIR Church of the Bible. Jesus treated women as equals.

Old 09-18-2009, 01:46 PM

159 posts, read 230,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
It is very clear what chauvinistic men who deemed women chattel wanted in THEIR Church of the Bible. Jesus treated women as equals.
Jesus words are the bible basically. So we are on the same page in a sense. John 1:1 says "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God". The bible is God's word and it is Jesus Word. So church of Jesus, God, and the bible. I can agree in that sense.

In regards to women God explains why women are to be silent in HIS words not mine. Did you read the verses? God says that not me, lol. Do you think God is chauvinistic? I realize women and men are equal, but that does not change was God desires in His worship. I am simply telling you what the bible says on the matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity