Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2009, 07:05 AM

309 posts, read 511,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttjones View Post
Good morning! I just read all of the responses after that "book" I wrote. I am just wondering, what is your take on James 2 where it says salvation is not by faith only? It makes a good point about how the devils believe/have faith in the Son of God. They are still going to a terrible place. That whole section is trying to convey the message that just believing is not enough. Luke 5:46, "And why call ye me Lord, Lord, and don't do the things which I say?"
I love discussing the Bible b/c it makes me study even more, but I don't think we should argue. You're right that sometimes we have to agree to disagree. I just think the others on here are simply trying to teach God's word. I don't think they are trying to hurt anyone. I sure don't want to hurt anyone's feelings, but sometimes just teaching the Word has that effect.
My take is this Satan is a believer also, however the difference is one who is truly saved will let their lights shine. Being a good moral person will not save you. I don't believe just being baptized however is going to save you. When we get down to what those things are that we must do that is where we get to the works. The works alone aren't going to save you either its the believing upon Christ that saves you and then as a new being you should desire to do the rest which to me is the works such as baptism, preaching the gospel, and so on. Again notice that I bolded the first two words of this reply as it is simply my belief.

Old 08-19-2009, 07:06 AM

241 posts, read 379,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deerdog View Post
Well the only nerve that you strike is by being of arrogance and trying to tell others what is right and what is wrong. If everyone believed as you do then we would all believe in only one type of church and so on. However each person has to read the bible and decipher for themselves what the Word is saying. I know what is right and I accept it.
Sorry you feel this way. But I have only told you what the bible says and you know it. And if everyone believed as you did, then everyone would just believe what they want to believe. You said the key word,"ONE". This is what God wants all of us to be. You still have and always will have a negative attitude against the church of Christ. But this does not surprise me at all. Alot of people do. But in the end, Christ will have the last say so.

Old 08-19-2009, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher c. sr. View Post
Sorry you feel this way. But I have only told you what the bible says and you know it. And if everyone believed as you did, then everyone would just believe what they want to believe. You said the key word,"ONE". This is what God wants all of us to be. You still have and always will have a negative attitude against the church of Christ. But this does not surprise me at all. Alot of people do. But in the end, Christ will have the last say so.
Nice of you to try and judge me but your not correct on that. You see I dont have a negative attitude againt the church of Christ I just agree with everything they teach. Especially the part of if you don't take communion every Sunday than you don't have the Lord in your heart and that you must take it. Also the part that baptism saves. Nothing and I mean Nothing saves me but the Blood of Christ. No negative attitude just don't agree with that and mind you my father is CofC and my Grandfather was an Elder and my GreatGrandparents was founders of the Church. I love the people and the church just can't go somewhere I don't believe.

Old 08-19-2009, 07:28 AM

9,496 posts, read 9,804,183 times
Quote:
Good luck with the church hope you enjoy it. I am no longer a member too many laws for me that prohibited me from worshiping and praising the Lord like he deserves.
I'm curious to know what you mean by worshiping and praising the Lord "as he deserves".

I'm not sure what church of Christ you attended, but according to the New Testament scriptures, we are asked to worship God in the following manner, but no particular order:

Prayer
Communion
Offering
Teaching
Sing Praises (which as we know in this thread means acapella)

What bothers me is that MAN thinks he knows more of what God wants than what the Father really wants.

Does God ask for bands, praise teams, gymnasiums, etc? I just don't see that in the scriptures. Those things are for the enjoyment of MAN.

My brother in-law's family attends a "liberal" cofC, where they have all those things, plus lots of "extra" things that they use the church building for (they also have over 1000 members). When he visted the "conservative" 80 member church I attend, he said it was "BORING"!! When does worshiping God become boring? I wonder if God is bored??

Old 08-19-2009, 07:39 AM

9,496 posts, read 9,804,183 times
Quote:
My take is this Satan is a believer also, however the difference is one who is truly saved will let their lights shine. Being a good moral person will not save you. I don't believe just being baptized however is going to save you. When we get down to what those things are that we must do that is where we get to the works. The works alone aren't going to save you either its the believing upon Christ that saves you and then as a new being you should desire to do the rest which to me is the works such as baptism, preaching the gospel, and so on. Again notice that I bolded the first two words of this reply as it is simply my belief.
I haven't read all of your posts deerdog, but I do agree with this one. Just being baptized is not going to save you. You are correct that once you are baptized and you put on the "new man" then it is your obligation to follow the scriptures and live a new life. Most importantly as you mentioned, preaching and teaching to others and devoting your life to be a tool of the Lord.

If you are baptized, then continue to live a life of sin, it just doesn't make since that you will be guaranteed a trip to heaven. Baptism, faith and your works is what God wants from us.

Matthew 7: 13 "Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. 14 But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

Old 08-19-2009, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
I'm curious to know what you mean by worshiping and praising the Lord "as he deserves".

I'm not sure what church of Christ you attended, but according to the New Testament scriptures, we are asked to worship God in the following manner, but no particular order:

Prayer
Communion
Offering
Teaching
Sing Praises (which as we know in this thread means acapella)

What bothers me is that MAN thinks he knows more of what God wants than what the Father really wants.

Does God ask for bands, praise teams, gymnasiums, etc? I just don't see that in the scriptures. Those things are for the enjoyment of MAN.

My brother in-law's family attends a "liberal" cofC, where they have all those things, plus lots of "extra" things that they use the church building for (they also have over 1000 members). When he visted the "conservative" 80 member church I attend, he said it was "BORING"!! When does worshiping God become boring? I wonder if God is bored??
To me praising and worshiping him is not holding back and I personally felt like I was having to hold back by not raising holy hands to worship and praise him among many other things even hand clapping or anything like that.

Old 08-19-2009, 02:18 PM

241 posts, read 379,160 times
Quote:
Nice of you to try and judge me but your not correct on that. You see I dont have a negative attitude againt the church of Christ I just agree with everything they teach. Especially the part of if you don't take communion every Sunday than you don't have the Lord in your heart and that you must take it. Also the part that baptism saves. Nothing and I mean Nothing saves me but the Blood of Christ. No negative attitude just don't agree with that and mind you my father is CofC and my Grandfather was an Elder and my GreatGrandparents was founders of the Church. I love the people and the church just can't go somewhere I don't believe.
I'm not judging you deerdog. From your choice of words, it seemed to me that you had an attitude. Maybe that wasn't your intentions, but that is just what I got from it. If you agree with everything they teach, then why are you attending or even a member of another church or are you or do you attend another church of Christ? And yes I agree with you about the blood of Christ saves and it's good to know that you have so many of your family members that are members of the church of Christ. I wish more of mine were.

Old 08-19-2009, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher c. sr. View Post
I'm not judging you deerdog. From your choice of words, it seemed to me that you had an attitude. Maybe that wasn't your intentions, but that is just what I got from it. If you agree with everything they teach, then why are you attending or even a member of another church or are you or do you attend another church of Christ? And yes I agree with you about the blood of Christ saves and it's good to know that you have so many of your family members that are members of the church of Christ. I wish more of mine were.
I do agree with everything as far as how to be saved but I don't agree everything must be done in the order they think. Such as salvation after baptism I don't agree with, communion every Sunday I don't agree with.

Old 08-21-2009, 10:44 AM

5 posts, read 7,582 times
Default hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by allwayz_smilin View Post
I was recently invited to a Church of Christ, but really know nothing about the religion. Can someone fill me in? Thanks!
Hello, I am a member of the Church of Christ , what would you like to know. I will do my best to help you and if I can not answer your questions , I will find the answer for you.

Old 08-21-2009, 10:50 AM

5 posts, read 7,582 times
Default hello

Quote:
hello, you are right Satan does believe, also that works, baptizm and faith alone can't save us, but we are saved by God's grace, when God looks at us, he is looking at us through Christ, we are so loved , can you imagine giving up your child to save others, I can't. we are to do the best we can, follow what we are told to do. study , pray , assemble, and love on another. Grace is a gift we are given that is not earned. We must , hear believe repent confess and be baptized to be saved. but it does not end there, we must continue in the path he has shown us, and be faithful until death, and hope and pray we will have a home in heaven when our time on earth is through. God bless
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity